Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stripped screw in carb plunger (Read 53 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Stripped screw in carb plunger
11/07/15 at 22:25:21

It's Dave's fault!  I was putting in the new stainless allen screws (very nice I might add) and as luck would have it something always goes wrong. I could not get one of the phillips screws loose and it's stripped pretty good. Before I tore the plunger up, I just put it all back together and have one allen screw in there with one stripped screw.

I have my spacer mod where I want it so it's no problem for now, but if I ever need t work on it what do I do?  How have you seen people successfully tackle a stripped screw way down in that little hole without tearing up the plunger?

Thanks

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Stripped screw in carb plunger
Reply #1 - 11/08/15 at 06:16:49

Well since it is my fault....I guess I will help you fix it.

First of all.....do you have real JIS screwdrivers......or are you using Phillips?

I broke down last year and bought a real set of JIS screwdrivers, and the difference is amazing how much better the JIS screwdrivers fit into the screws on the Savage. They feel like they lock in place when you start applying pressure, and they just don't strip out the screw like the Phillips do.

Most likely the only way for to to get this fixed, is to drill the stripped head off the screw, and then take the pieces out.  Once the head is off the threaded part will turn out easily....they don't see to corrode into the slide.

If you want to send it to me, I will drill it out for you.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/08/15 at 06:46:49

I'm pretty sure I've got stuff around here that's Dave's fault. I just don't know what the freight would be..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 11/08/15 at 08:03:11

Dave,

I never really knew there was a difference, but I now see that the JIS have a more relaxed angle hence less apt for stripping. Pretty sure I just used a standard craftsman.

For now I think I am ok. The bike ran fine on start up after this and a few other things, but it's raining here so I probably won't be able to road test it until later in the week.   If it runs fine (no reason it shouldn't) I will leave well enough alone. Once it needs work I'll remember this guidance and let you know if I think I need help as opposed to tearing the plunger up...which it seems could be very easy to di.

Thanks Dave!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #4 - 11/08/15 at 09:35:25

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #5 - 11/10/15 at 19:02:25

Hooray...my JIS drivers arrived today...I'm going to screw something up tomorrow, just because I can.   Grin  Grin

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:22:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped screw in carb plunger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.