Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Savage owner - Ryca build (Read 79 times)
delaPlanet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Savage owner - Ryca build
11/07/15 at 12:13:51

Hey, all -

Awesome forum! I've been lurking for a couple months as I've been building a Ryca CS-1 project.  The bike is largely finished except the terrifying painting process that I haven't bitten off yet. I've decided to get the bike tuned and work out all the kinks before messing with paint.

Anyhow, I'm trying to understand this decompression thing.  The Ryca kit gets rid of the big solenoid and replaces it with a thumb lever or a foot pedal to actuate that decompression arm.  I opted for the more minimal thumb-switch solution. The issue is that it is extremely loose (floppy!) when I attach it with the spring to the flattened-off cam on the head. This leads me to a couple of questions:

1. Which direction is open/closed, when looking at the left side of the bike.  Is clockwise opening the valve or counterclockwise opening it?

2. I've never actually needed to use that decomp lever. The bike starts literally on the first turn-over of the starter...does this mean that the decomp valve is actually always open a little bit?  This seems bad.

I'm working on tuning the thing otherwise.  It's crackling and after-firing like a mother right now, despite the white spacer mod and richer jetting. I might need to just be more gingerly as I let off the throttle.

Anyhow, thanks!

Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: New Savage owner - Ryca build
Reply #1 - 11/07/15 at 12:38:14

Welcome to the forum.  I did the same as you and built the bike and left it in primer for the first year, and then tore it apart and painted it the next winter.  

My Cafe' conversion has a manual decompression - plus I also have a higher compression Wiseco piston.  About 80 times in a row I can hit my starter button and the bike will start right up.  Every now and then the piston will have stopped right at the beginning of the compression stroke, and when I hit the starter button the piston starts up and the compression builds, and the starter cannot push the piston over TDC against compression and the starter grinds to a halt.  I immediately let go of the starter button, pull the manual compression lever I built that is located on my handlebar, and then push the starter button......and once the piston has gone past TDC I can let go of the compression release and get the bike started like usual.

The lever rotates counterclockwise when viewed from the left side of the engine.  If the valves are closed it takes a lot of pressure to push the valves off the seats - if the cam is holding the valves open already...then the compression release lever feels like it is not doing anything, as the only pressure you are feeling is from the little spring on the lever.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
delaPlanet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/07/15 at 14:36:15

Thanks, Dave -

So what it sounds like you're saying is that once in awhile, I will actually need it to get the bike to turn over, and when that time comes, it will be under a load that is more than just the return-spring.  If the thing is a little loose, don't worry about it.

Is that about right?

thanks!

delaPlanet

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/08/15 at 06:25:33

I am not sure what you mean by a "little loose".  Is the lever a poor fit on the shaft?  The lever should tighten up and not move on the shaft when you snug up the nut.

And.......I am not sure I like the idea of the simple little hand lever down there on the top of the engine (Do you still have your clutch safety switch in place?).  Lets say you are at a traffic light and you stall the engine, and you pull in the clutch, hit the starter button, and the engine hits that compression stroke.....what extra hand do you have to allow you to reach down and run the decompression lever?

It could be that once the engine is warmed up, and with the stock piston your starter can turn the engine over even on the compression stroke - so maybe it is a not an issue for you.  The stock bike is made for starting/running in temperatures below freezing, and the compression release helps the starter turn the engine over with really thick oil and a cold battery.....so if you only use the bike in warm weather it may not be a problem.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
delaPlanet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/08/15 at 09:30:32

Clutch safety switch has been bypassed - I still need to be in neutral to start, though.

By loose I mean that the lever takes almost no force to turn  (it is tight on the cam with the nut tightened down).  The main thing is that the return spring isn't flipping the thumb lever all the way clockwise - the spring is really soft and there is no pre-load on it.

I tried to attach a video, but I couldn't get it to work.  Here's a link to the video on vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/145053548

UPDATE - I AM AN IDIOT -

I didn't realize that I wasn't depressing the thumb lever all the way counter-clockwise.  I see now - it takes quite a bit of force to actually engage that valve opener!

Thanks for indulging me everyone Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:20:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage owner - Ryca build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.