Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb parts: What brand? Where? (Read 109 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Carb parts: What brand? Where?
11/04/15 at 21:47:40

I am going to need a new needle valve. As far as carb kits and parts are concerned, which brands do you guys recommend? What is the cheapest thing that I can put in there and be confident that it is going to work as well as OEM? I have noticed that OEM parts are rather expensive and "authentic" Mikuni jets are double the price of others. Is there a noticeable quality, performance, or reliability difference here or am I just throwing my money away for a name? I noticed that many of the kits do not have the float valve screen included in the picture. Do I need to find that separately? How often do the rubber diaphragms need to be replaced? Only when they break?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Carb parts: What brand? Where?
Reply #1 - 11/05/15 at 03:16:22

youzguyz wrote on 11/04/15 at 15:53:50:
I bought rebuild kits... about $20   K&L 18-5064   Has everything you need.

You will have to buy the filter screen directly from a Suzuki parts retailer.
Part number 13376-19F00

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=82427&categor...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 11/05/15 at 03:28:17

cheapnewb24 wrote on 11/04/15 at 21:47:40:
I am going to need a new needle valve. As far as carb kits and parts are concerned, which brands do you guys recommend? What is the cheapest thing that I can put in there and be confident that it is going to work as well as OEM? I have noticed that OEM parts are rather expensive and "authentic" Mikuni jets are double the price of others. Is there a noticeable quality, performance, or reliability difference here or am I just throwing my money away for a name? I noticed that many of the kits do not have the float valve screen included in the picture. Do I need to find that separately? How often do the rubber diaphragms need to be replaced? Only when they break?

Basic carb kit: K&L 18-5064 - available on Amazon, Ebay, JP Cycles, etc, etc.   This contains a new float needle, float seat, float seat o-ring, bowl gasket, and some funky little o-ring that I don't know what it does.  Works well.

No, it does not come with that screen.  You should be able to clean it.  If you really need a new one, then OEM is the way to go.

The "rubber diaphragms".  Not sure what you mean.
There is one on the slide and is part of the slide.
There is on in the TEV (Throttle Enrichment Valve  AKA air cutoff valve.)
Both are a bit pricey.  Only replace if failed.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/05/15 at 07:28:36

youzguyz wrote on 11/05/15 at 03:28:17:
Basic carb kit: K&L 18-5064 - available on Amazon, Ebay, JP Cycles, etc, etc.   This contains a new float needle, float seat, float seat o-ring, bowl gasket, and some funky little o-ring that I don't know what it does.  Works well.

Goes under the idle mixture screw... yeah there's one in there.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/05/15 at 08:04:24

verslagen1 wrote on 11/05/15 at 07:28:36:
youzguyz wrote on 11/05/15 at 03:28:17:

Goes under the idle mixture screw... yeah there's one in there.

Thanks for the info.  At least it should be easy to get to.. when I work on the carb again.  I wonder what the symptoms might be if it is bad?  Undecided   Or is it just included because it is an o-ring, and might as well replace it as long as you are in the vicinity.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 11/05/15 at 08:14:06

The screen is all collapsed and wrinkled up, but it is not torn that I know of. Should I replace it, try to straighten it, or just leave it alone and put it back as is? I would worry that if I tried to straighten it that it might tear, and then I would be forced to replace it.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/05/15 at 09:32:56

cheapnewb24 wrote on 11/05/15 at 08:14:06:
The screen is all collapsed and wrinkled up, but it is not torn that I know of. Should I replace it, try to straighten it, or just leave it alone and put it back as is? I would worry that if I tried to straighten it that it might tear, and then I would be forced to replace it.

Hard call to make.  
I would probably try to push it back out to a dome shape.. very, very gently.. and with something blunt.
Do a google image search for 13376-19F00 to see what it should look like.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 11/05/15 at 21:29:57

I ended up taking a couple of new pencils and wearing down their erasers, as well as another that I did not have to wear down. Two of them were Dixon Tigonderoga brand, some of the best pencils one can buy. They have nice, smooth, soft erasers. I used the soft end of these pencils to form the screen back into its dome shape. However, I did not succeed in removing all the wrinkles. I guess its good enough, though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:34:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb parts: What brand? Where?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.