Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Occasional bucking at speed! (Read 56 times)
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Occasional bucking at speed!
11/04/15 at 21:07:33

Hey all,

Gonna keep this pretty short and simple. Just two kind of easy questions.

Got the raptor petcock and an inline fuel filter.

I notice the fuel filter that I have inline will occasionally stay full to the brim, that's when the bike runs smoothest. However sometimes I notice while riding that the fuel filter seems to only be half full with gasoline in it, and it seems like during those times I get more jerkiness and bucking around mid RPM ranges. Around 35 in 3rd, 45-55 in 4th, and 60-65 in 5th. Should the fuel filter always be full (I always keep my tank above 1/3 full without using reserve) or is it normal for it to only fill halfway.

Second question is, how to differentiate valve noise from cam chain noise? Someone removed the baffle on my muffler before I bought it, so it's hard to tell where noise is coming from. Valve noise I'd imagine is more of like a sewing machine ticking noise, when the cam chain would be more of a deep slapping? It's hard to tell, and my bike is at 10.5K miles, so .... yeah!

Best,
Matt

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Occasional bucking at speed!
Reply #1 - 11/04/15 at 22:38:49

common problem reported by those using a fuel filter.
the petcock and carb have screens in them for filtration.
any more than that and the gravity feed is impaired.

if you can't hear it, all noise sounds alike.

typically, you can feel a tapping on the clutch cover towards the rear of the oil filter cover.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/05/15 at 03:02:57

When you install an inline filter in the system, you can have problems with fuel flow.  The plastic filters with 1/4" fittings really choke the size of the hole down at the fittings you shove the fuel hose on, and air bubbles can block the openings and prevent fuel from flowing through the hole.  If you increase the size of the filter to a 5/16" it is better.....3/8" size filters are generally too big to fit.

I suggest you take the filter out of the system and go for a ride....and see if the problem goes away.  The petcock has filter screens on the top of the tubes, the carb has a filter just above the seat/needle for the float....if you tank is clean there really isn't much that in inline filter is going to do.

Also for your rattle....be sure to check the speedometer and headlight by placing you hand on them when you hear the noise.  My headlight bezel was rattling and it sure sounded like the top of my engine was coming apart!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #3 - 11/06/15 at 18:42:01

Pulled the fuel filter, slight, and I mean very slight improvement.

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:24:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Occasional bucking at speed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.