raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: New Tire Discussion
Reply #30 - 11/08/15 at 06:25:14

Same topic, just a different need of info, hope that's cool  Smiley

I have a metzler 880 on the rear and a dunlop on the front. Does mixing brands/treads effect the ride in a negative way?

Also, what, other than visual, do you look at to determine the need to put on new tires?
I have almost 20,000 on my 2014. The stock tires went about 8 thousand and were really squirrelly when compared to the new set-up, but I didn't know any better, other than I got to slip and slide a lot more, but the tires still SEEMED to have decent tread.
I am beginning to notice less sureness in turns and lane/road surface changing, but again, these guys look good but performance seems to have dropped off somewhat.

Tires on a car are important, for sure, but on a bike, it seems they are critical to safety  Shocked

Thanks

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 11/08/15 at 06:36:02

The only downside I see to mixing tires, is the potential that the tires could have different performance abilities.  If one tire is poor in the wet, then that end of the bike may not be able to handle the wet weather as well....but is one loose end worse than having 2 ends sliding around?

As tires age they become harder, and they lose their ability to grip in turns.  Wet weather is the place where it is most noticeable.  Also the harder rubber tends to cup or wear unevenly, and the ride quality suffers.  The little Ninja 250 I bought last year had the original 11 year old tires and 9,800 miles on them, and when I put on new tires the ride and handling really improved.

If you do a search on motorcycle tire recommendations, they claim you should check the tire code and never mount a tire that is more than 3 years old, and replace your tires when they are more than 5 years old.  You should also plan on buying tires that will provide no more than 3 years worth of riding for you....there is no benefit to buying Michelin Commander tires if you only ride 1,000 miles a year - as the rubber will turn hard long before you ever wear the tread off.  The 2002 Savage I bought this year has the original tires on it with 4,000 miles on them and they look great, and if I rode at a moderate and mild pace they would be just fine - but if you push them you soon discover they are hard and don't grip the pavement well.  My Chevy Avalance has tires on it that were made in 2006, and they are downright scary when the roads are wet....they slide all over the place.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #32 - 11/08/15 at 07:45:14

Thanks Dave, just to clarify your answer.....
If I noticed a change in performance, rain being a big factor where I live, then I should entertain new ones, yes?
I bought the best rated rain tires that they had ( at least it was advertised as such). But I am not as comfortable on them now as I was as when they were new. I guess that is to be expected, as with all things, they wear, and everyone of us has different expectations and comfort levels when riding too.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:24:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tire Discussion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.