Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing Saddlebag Brackets (Read 109 times)
sw1991
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Removing Saddlebag Brackets
11/02/15 at 16:12:37

Hey all, first post but I've used this site to do brakes, spark plug, carb clean and rejet, oil changes and a few other things... Great site as I've never done any of this stuff before and had 0 experience working on anything with a motor. I recently ordered a Shinko 712 140/90 tire and have read about issues with them rubbing the saddlebag bolts. I don't use the saddle bags so I'm just going to remove the brackets, but I'm not sure how to get in there and remove the bolts. I can remove the bolts closest to the rear... but I cant fit a wrench in to reach the bolts closer to the front of the bike. Any tips on getting in there without removing the wheel?

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Re: Removing Saddlebag Brackets
Reply #1 - 11/02/15 at 16:27:15

Removing with rear tire in place is easier said than done (experience speaking...) I have NO issues with sidewall clearances using my Michelin 140/90 15 with my saddlebag brackets though.    If you do want to pull the brackets, do it when the new tire is being mounted on the wheel. it'll only take a couple of minutes at that point.  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/02/15 at 16:29:39

If you have a shop do the tire R&R,... I doubt they would mind removing them for you, no charge... it's only a couple bolts...
Wink...

Welcome to the world of posting... beats lurking any day... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sw1991
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/02/15 at 16:47:01

Thanks guys, I'm dropping the bike off tomorrow to get the tires mounted, I'll let them know about the bolts. I'd prefer to leave the brackets on just in case the backpack gets old... I'll just ask em to look at them and take em out if space is an issue. (hopefully they can tell just by looking  Shocked Thanks again!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/03/15 at 20:42:09

I have thge Shinko 140/90, clearance was a tiny issue, but easily improved by cranking preload up a notch (I'm pretty heavy at 220 lb)

IP Logged
sw1991
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/05/15 at 13:03:19

I just got my bike back from the tire change, loving the new wider tire. The shop did not remove the bracket for me... And it rubbed a lot on the ride home, not when cornering but when hitting even small bumps. This is with the shocks on the 5th setting and I weigh about 175. I was however able to get in there and remove the saddle bag brackets and all is well.

The bolt nearest the rear is a 10mm which I was able to access and remove after breaking it free with a hammer and wrench... The bolt closest to the front was another story. It is a 12mm which was actually much easier than I thought. I removed it with a socket from the outside of the fender. If you look at the sissy bar there is two bolts, it is the lower bolt. You can look in the fender and see which one it is. Now there is only one bolt on the side of the sissy bar and a hole where the other one used to be but it's plenty sturdy and no more rubbing.

Hope this helps anyone else!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/06/15 at 03:10:30

You should take your old bolts to a good hardware store and buy a button socket cap screw the same size and length of the ones you removed.  The heads are flatter and won't rub like the original ones did.

Button_head.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
scotnstl
YaBB Newbies

No matter where you
go, there you are!

Maplewood Missouri
Reply #7 - 11/07/15 at 07:44:32

What would you take for the brackets?

1986 Savage LS650, 11k, Raptor, Dyna, Tensioner mod, Rotella T.
  IP Logged
sw1991
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/07/15 at 13:16:12

I can't send PM til I hit 10 posts but 20 bucks and they're yours if you wanna pay the shipping.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:15:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Saddlebag Brackets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.