Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Normal oil burning/loss? (Read 152 times)
snogs
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Providence, Rhode Island
Normal oil burning/loss?
10/30/15 at 08:09:41

I bought a 08 s40 with 5580 miles on it a little over a week ago and have put 180 miles on it since, most of them city miles.  The oil level was about 1/3 the way up the window when I picked it up and today it was barely at the bottom of the window.  Do I need to be looking for a leak or is this an expected amount of oil loss for this bike?

This is my first motorcycle so I'm learning how engines work and spending a lot of time reading this forum. I'm in Rhode Island and have been riding it in 45-60 degree weather.  

I've searched the forums and not found an answer so if the thread exists please point me in that direction.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Normal oil burning/loss?
Reply #1 - 10/30/15 at 09:03:46

Snogs,

You have posed a good question which I don't know the answer to.

I do know that dirty oil appears to burn a lot quicker than fresh clean oil.

If you don't know how long it has been since the oil was changed it is time to drain the old oil, put in a new filter and switch to Rotella.

The oil wars will continue on here forever but I think the most knowledgeable guys on here will only recommend Rotella, either Dino or Synthetic.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #2 - 10/30/15 at 09:22:39

The oil level should not change that much after 180 miles of city riding. Make sure the bike is on level ground and straight up and down when you check it. It doesn't take much of a lean to change the level in the site glass. It also makes a little difference if the oil is warmed up or not. It will expand a little bit. If you check it after riding, let it set a couple of minutes for the oil to drain down.

KennyG is right. If you don't know when the last time it was changed or what kind of oil was used, go and change it with Rotella. Write the mileage and date down in a notebook and keep accurate records.

And welcome to the forum  Smiley

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 10/30/15 at 12:05:35

My oil level is perfect but I can't see ANY oil when the bike is on the kickstand. At "city RPMs" it shouldn't burn oil. When you start riding a little faster, say 55-65, expect to lose a little oil. It's normal.

And BTW, I recommend Rotella too!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/30/15 at 13:24:21

Kris01 wrote on 10/30/15 at 12:05:35:
My oil level is perfect but I can't see ANY oil when the bike is on the kickstand.

Oil level by the owner manual should be measured while held vertical.
But can be measured "on the kickstand" if you can see it and have previously measured it vertical and haven't changed any affecting equipment (tires, shocks, kickstand)

I measure mine with the kick stand on a brick.  This gets it to a vertical enough level.  The brick is probably an inch shorter then needed to get vertical.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 10/30/15 at 14:36:05

I put a $1.29 level from Harbour Freight on the seat when I check mine.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
snogs
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Providence, Rhode Island
Reply #6 - 10/30/15 at 18:31:57

Thanks everyone!  This forum is a gold mine of information.  I looked up how to build a stand/lift and how to change the oil. Since I don't know when the last oil change was so I'll do one and put Rotella in it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/30/15 at 22:37:15

If the oil you see is dark,change oil.Rotella 15-40, cheap, works great.
Kenny is right. Fresh oil doesn't go away as fast. As miles build on the oil, use increases. I changed oil more based on how fast it was using it than the miles since I changed it. At extended highway speeds, expect use. Also,,the blow by tube needs to leave the head going uphill. I doubt anyone has removed the wadding in the head.
And of course, look it over. Park where drops will be seen. Look it over.
Level ground, standing straight up, check oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 10/31/15 at 11:19:07

Good advice by all
above all, get rid of contaminated oil and get the good stuff (Rotella) in there, god knows what the PO used, and chances are it was not up to par

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 10/31/15 at 11:34:39

Versy,
I do more or less the same as you.
I put a piece of wood under the stand 2.25". The oil level will be at the lower mark when it is correct. Very easy to be sure of the correct level.

On my Triumph-wash my mouth out- I put a piece of 2x4 under the stand to achieve the same thing.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/01/15 at 01:04:48

I might point out that you want to check the oil after the bike has been off and allowed to settle for awhile.  If you check your oil after the bike has been sitting in the garage all night and then check it again after you've just gone for a ride you won't get an accurate read.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Reply #11 - 11/01/15 at 07:40:50

I don't have any leaks. I did a 600 mile trip a few months ago. about 200 miles of it was 70-80 mph and I burned about 1/2 quart on the trip. I think it's normal

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:13:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Normal oil burning/loss?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.