Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Breather hose questions (Read 85 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine Breather hose questions
10/29/15 at 08:47:25

Hi guys, I'm back.
I have been riding now for about a wk thanks to the help of the wonderful people here on the forum. I have still been fine tuning it though before i hit the highway from va to fl.

I have not done the spacer mod to tune the carb but have been playing with the idle adjustment to get rid of the backfire. Will prob buy a spacer washer this wknd and tweak my idle mix a bit.
It just shut off on me while riding.
I felt it coming so was prepped.
All this is fluff though...so while I was reinstalling my carb I jigged this tube out of it's place. I traced it from the engine head and I noticed that it was broken and immediately began searching for the connection but didn't see any.
I let it go bc hey, I'm riding.
Yesterday when adjusting the idle I realized that the hose connects to the air intake system and feeds back into the carb. I have a broken hose. Could this be the culprit behind all of my issues? Does anyone know the exact size for this tube? It feels rubbery as it exits the engine but plastic closer to the intake. I really don't know which to buy bc engine heat. Which is why i came here.
Also, once i have replaced this hose is it going to affect the way the carb runs bc it will be getting more air? If so, should i hold off on my carb tuning til i replace the hose?

It occured to me that this could be the issue combined with a dirty carb and filthy oil that essentially created the stalling issue.
Also, when i changed my oil, my puke tube was clogged. Nothing came out. I had to use a small flathead (like eyeglass repair small) to get in there and pull out what looked like leaves but felt hard like plastic bits. Should i be worried about that?

Thanks,

Jaye

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine Breather hose questions
Reply #1 - 10/29/15 at 09:30:16

Any rubber hose stiff enough to hold it's shape, stay open while breathing.
an alternate would be to find a tube that you can join the two sections with.
Any effect it may have on carb tuning should be slight depending on where it's broken;  Close to the head, none.  Close to the airbox, may cause to run lean.

Quote:
get in there and pull out what looked like leaves but felt hard like plastic bits. Should i be worried about that?

I would be concerned that this crap made it's way to the engine, but there's nothing you can do about it now, just clean it out.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 10/29/15 at 10:41:39

I just replaced my breather hose as the end on the head had hardened and cracked/broke when I pulled it off to remove the chrome covers during a valve check.  After checking a bunch of local stores for a petroleum safe hose with the correct ID, I gave up because they all had really thick walls and a huge OD.
Maybe you'll have better luck than me but I ended up buying online from Ron Ayers.  Use Item #09352-11153-600 and you'll find it.
It was cheaper than similar silicon tubing bought by the foot online.
For a temporary fix, maybe you could just splice something in with some sort of a connector.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/29/15 at 11:42:59

It is broken right where it should connect. @verslagen1
I was going to go to autozone and take the hose in to see if they can match it. Thanks for the tip! @tocsik.

IMG_20151029_115543.jpg
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 10/29/15 at 13:56:17

I ran my vent hose to the rear of the bike. If you hold your hand near it , you can feel it puffing as it vents. Cool

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 10/29/15 at 22:45:46

Copper pipe bent to shape, a couple inches of hose to make the connections. Use transmission or power steering rated hose, anything else is not heat stable.

My parts junker has a used Kubota steering pipe as its breather hose. Need to get it swapped onto my daily rider soon, monster vacuum leak at the air box right now.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:13:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Breather hose questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.