Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How To: Running Lights / Turn Signals (Read 117 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
How To: Running Lights / Turn Signals
10/27/15 at 15:36:31

This might belong in the tech section, but I'll leave that up to the moderators.

Most of you are aware that I made a set of red LED running lights.  You can see them here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VR87qsmD24  Well, I decided that I wanted them to work as turn signals as well, so using a pair of automotive relays, I completed the project this morning.  I thought some of you might be interested in doing this yourselves so I thought I'd go ahead and post how I did it.

I was already using the license plate light as my source for the power for the running lights so I went ahead and kept that as my power source.  You can use whatever source you want.  You'll need to make some adapters using automotive wire and female spade connectors.  Below You'll see the wiring diagram and the connectors that I made.  Here's a short video of how my running lights look now when the signals are triggered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kbgM3qR5U

Wiring diagram:

Relay 87a:

Relay 30:

Relay 85:

Relay 86:

Bosch Style 5 pin Relay
You'll need two of these

Yep, it's just that simple.  You can do this in a matter of minutes if you already have the relays, wire, and spade connectors.  I'm very pleased with the results.  If you have any questions please let me know.

« Last Edit: 10/27/15 at 22:12:39 by chzeckmate »  

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: How To: Running Lights / Turn Signals
Reply #1 - 10/27/15 at 17:44:55

Chzec,

That is really a quality presentation. You do nice work.

Kenny

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/27/15 at 22:38:36

Kenny G wrote on 10/27/15 at 17:44:55:
Chzec,

That is really a quality presentation. You do nice work.

Kenny

I appreciate the compliment.  I know there are other ways to do this but this is by far the easiest way and it only cost me $6.00 to do it.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/28/15 at 03:59:58

Nice way to make a somewhat complicated task within the grasp of us mere mortals. Wink

In the Video it didn't look like you are still using the factory turn signals.

I sure hope you are still using the stock turns signals as well.....we need all the help we can get to get the distracted drivers attention.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/28/15 at 13:04:08

I didn't reconnect them because the signals and the tail light are going bye-bye.  I think they looked great in the 80's, but I've got my own ideas.  I'm getting something more modern looking.  That's one of the reasons that I wanted to connect these relays.  I need to have my new signals blink with the absence of current instead of the introduction of current because I want to use them as running lights too.  After I have the new signals installed the homemade running lights you see in the video can come off.  I'll have it done soon and I'll post photos/video for you guys to see.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 10/28/15 at 14:00:42

Is there any state website that says what we can or cannot have lit up in the back? I was thinking of converting my rear signals to running lights.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/28/15 at 14:07:05

I have looked up the chapter and verse before....but I cannot quote it.

Rear "running" lights have to be red, as do brake lights - front running lights have to be yellow/orange.  Turn signals can be yellow/orange for either end - but they cannot be used for running lights in the back.  Red lights in the back that also flash as turn signals are OK - but it is not legal to have a brake light that flashes continually - it can flash a few times but then has to come on solid.

Recently some folks have been putting blue bulbs in their cars for running lights.....and I have seen one fellow with red bulbs.  I don't know Law Enforcement folks are pulling them over for the colored lights.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/28/15 at 15:58:23

Dave has it right. My new signals/running lights will be red so no problem for me. Around here the police do strictly enforce this. They don't mess around at all. They enforce the colored lights people like to put around the engine and fenders too. You can't have them on while riding. The only color allowed is UV...it's an obscure law intended for car interiors but it does apply to motorcycles too. They'll still pull you over for UV lights but you'll win in court citing the law I mentioned. I don't know how it is in other states.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 10/28/15 at 16:41:01

Dave wrote on 10/28/15 at 14:07:05:
Rear "running" lights have to be red...

Well, there goes that idea!  Grin

I don't want to have to add any additional lights to make this work. Thanks Dave!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/29/15 at 03:22:06

Kris01 wrote on 10/28/15 at 16:41:01:
Dave wrote on 10/28/15 at 14:07:05:
Rear "running" lights have to be red...

Well, there goes that idea!  Grin

I don't want to have to add any additional lights to make this work. Thanks Dave!

Clear lenses are available to fit the Savage Turn signals.  If you were to use the clear lenses and adapt a set of front turn signals that have running lights....you could use red bulbs in the housings and get both red running lights and red turn signals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-DOT-Turn-Signal-Lens-Clear-Front-Rear-for-Suzuki-...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Turn-Signal-Lens-Lenses-Blinkers-For-1986-2003-Suz...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-f...

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/29/15 at 13:03:47

I've looked around a bit for replacement red lenses, but no luck.  Have you seen any?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:14:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How To: Running Lights / Turn Signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.