Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hesitation on first accleration (Read 78 times)
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
hesitation on first accleration
10/27/15 at 11:12:11

Hey gang,
Wondering if this is normal. I get the bike fired up, let it idle and warm up a bit while I get my gear on. Pull out of the driveway but as soon as I start to give it gas, it stumbles a little bit. By the end of my block it's about 99% better and then it just goes normally. Any thoughts?
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: hesitation on first accleration
Reply #1 - 10/27/15 at 11:18:34

If the bike is not fully warmed up....then it is normal.  If the hesitation goes away when the bike is fully warmed up - then don't worry about it.

Carbs are not able to make constant adjustments to the mixture like fuel injection and computer systems can.  The choke is designed to work when the engine is cold - while the carb is jetted to run when the engine is warm.....the time between those two extremes can result in some stumbles or flat spots.  When the engine is not fully warmed up some fuel can condense on the intake manifold and drop out of the flow....and the fuel mixture does drop a down a bit into the lean side for a couple of seconds whenever you open up the throttle - the combination of these 2 issues cause a flat spot for that first mile or two until the engine is fully warmed up.  If the stumble continues once the engine is warm - you need to raise the needle about the thickness of 1 washer (go to 2 washers if you currently have 3 in place of the white spacer).

If your engine doesn't do this when it is cold....it most likely is jetted too rich for proper running when it is fully warmed up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #2 - 10/27/15 at 20:09:18

Thanks Dave. Once it gets going, it absolutely purrs. I'll give it a little more warmup time the next time out and see how that goes. This winter is going to be really long waiting to get back on it!!!! Smiley
Jeff

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 10/27/15 at 20:17:18

Are you using the choke when it stumbles?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/27/15 at 21:57:40

There's some thought that sitting on the stand starves the high end of the cam for oil. Might not be true, but Dave did pull a wrecked cam and that is the lobe that got eaten. Maybe sitting for very long idling and leaning over is a bad idea.
At least keep the idle speed up to the minimum thousand RPM.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/28/15 at 03:51:52

Don't spend time warming the bike up sitting still.....it warms up just fine while riding away calmly.  Don't do any full throttle or high rpm riding for a mile or two.....the clutch can slip while the oil between the plates is still cold and thick, and the clearances in the engine aren't yet normal when some parts are warm and other parts are still cold.

I get my gear on, sit on the bike and turn on the petcock, pull up the sidestand, click on the choke, turn on the key, and start the bike.  Within about 10 seconds my choke is pulled off, and I just idle the bike at around 2,000 rpm until my GPS speedo has locked in to a signal....maybe 30 -60 seconds.  Then I pull in the clutch, click it into gear, and slowly ride away.  Not only does it allow the bike to warm up a bit - my neighbors appreciate the fact that I am not speeding past their houses!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #6 - 10/28/15 at 20:57:20

Kris01 wrote on 10/27/15 at 20:17:18:
Are you using the choke when it stumbles?

No.

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #7 - 10/28/15 at 21:04:11

Dave wrote on 10/28/15 at 03:51:52:
Don't spend time warming the bike up sitting still.....it warms up just fine while riding away calmly.  Don't do any full throttle or high rpm riding for a mile or two.....the clutch can slip while the oil between the plates is still cold and thick, and the clearances in the engine aren't yet normal when some parts are warm and other parts are still cold.

I get my gear on, sit on the bike and turn on the petcock, pull up the sidestand, click on the choke, turn on the key, and start the bike.  Within about 10 seconds my choke is pulled off, and I just idle the bike at around 2,000 rpm until my GPS speedo has locked in to a signal....maybe 30 -60 seconds.  Then I pull in the clutch, click it into gear, and slowly ride away.  Not only does it allow the bike to warm up a bit - my neighbors appreciate the fact that I am not speeding past their houses!

My next door neighbor loves the bike. The Harley "Loud pipes save lives" guy across the street won't even give me the time of day. And the other guy across the street is smug about why I should have another project, not something he would do, gives his advice (nobody asked!) and goes back to his perfect world.

I never tear out of the driveway. The road is pretty residential and I have no need to do it anyway. So Dave, no wheelies? Grin
Jeff

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:29:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hesitation on first accleration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.