Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Dropped valve
10/27/15 at 04:59:33

Forum Member "Cadence" bought a bike with a dropped valve.  He is going to convert the bike to an electric bike....so he is selling off parts in the Marketplace.

His engine has a dropped valve...the previous owner was cruising down the highway and the engine stopped.

I have emailed Cadence to see if he can update us on the mileage the bike had.

What causes a dropped valve in a Savage?  Youzguys has 138,000 miles on his bike and the cylinder head has never been off the bike, and his valves are still going strong.  The photos of the dropped valve don't show the white color what we are used to seeing on the exhaust valves of a good running engine - I suppose the big holes in the top of the piston allowed oil to pump out into the exhaust while the engine was coming to a stop.  Does the white go away after an engine has been in storage for an extended period?  I know that every used engine I have opened up always has black oily looking carbon in the head.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Dropped valve
Reply #1 - 10/27/15 at 06:53:18

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/27/15 at 07:36:53

I had a VW Rabbit GT that burned a valve.....it was geared low and would turn 4,000 rpm at highway speeds - and after 100,000 miles the valve was eroded away behind the hardened face on the valve.  Since the engine was fuel injected it most likely ran somewhat lean mixtures.  The problem first showed up as a rough idle and the burned valve created very low compression on that cylinder when I did a compression check.

For a valve to "drop"....the stem usually has to stretch and become weakend.  I would think that the stretching would cause the valve clearance to go away....and pretty soon the valve would not reach the seat anymore.  I just don't understand what causes the head to come of the valve....maybe I should do an internet search while I am eating lunch today.  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 10/27/15 at 08:25:39

That valve did some dancing in there !

IP Logged
Cadence
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bay Area, California
Reply #4 - 10/27/15 at 08:37:35

Just holler if you guys want more pictures of the engine. I'm very curious as to how this happened too!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/27/15 at 08:38:10

Maybe 2 causes, usually cam chain, sometimes stuck valve.
Normally you only see 1 valve busted, maybe rocker design, 1 arm maybe stiffer than the other.
Or lubrication/cooling, oil does both and oil does pool up some around the valves.
I don't think I've seen any burnt valves.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/27/15 at 08:40:09

Any chance something hard blocked the valve?...
Like a shattered piece of sparkplug insulation?... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/27/15 at 08:47:16

Serowbot wrote on 10/27/15 at 08:40:09:
Any chance something hard blocked the valve?...
Like a shattered piece of sparkplug insulation?... Undecided...

From what I have seen on doing an internet search......postmortem analysis of these is nearly impossible.  The loose valve piece tears everything up and destroys any evidence of what happened first.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/27/15 at 18:29:16

Intriguing topic, innerwebs loaded with ideas..

ue to manufacturer quality issues certain engines are more prone to dropping a valve seat during operaiton. This usually occurs when the engine is hot, from heat distortion, due to Aluminum's ability to expand 5 times the rate of steel. The aluminum material that holds the valve seat will expand and hold the valve seat with less pressure. As the valve seat becomes less restrained, stress from regular operation can work it lose completely, disbanding it from the aluminum head. Once this occurs the movement of the valve will usually break the valve seat insert into pieces, effectively eliminating any compression in the corresponding cylinder, and creating a lot of damage fr
Dave, are any seats knocked out?
If some of all of them are in place, pretty much shoots that down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/28/15 at 04:07:12

I don't know the exact number - but I have seen several damaged engines and heads on this forum or on eBay.  All of them have dropped one exhaust valve into the cylinder - I am not aware of any seats coming loose.

On some of the internet discussion about dropped valves, the cause is suggested as over revving the engine to the point that valve float occurs, and the valve does not follow the cam on the way back down.......and the piston hits the valve head.  Until somebody that was actually riding the bike when the valve failed comes along and tells us what they were doing when the engine failed......we are just speculating about how the Savage engine occasionally drops a valve.

I also just got photos of the rockers and cam from this engine.  With only 9,500 miles on the bike....how does this much wear occur on the cam and rockers?  This is the same damage to the cam and exhaust rocker that was on the bike I just bought....and it had 3,800 miles on it.  We can only guess that the oil the original owners were using did not have enough ZDDP in it.  Wonder if the cam wear and increased valve clearance can lead to valve failure?

« Last Edit: 10/28/15 at 05:17:28 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 10/28/15 at 05:47:24

Those first two photos are impressively ugly. There are a number of things that could lead to a dropped valve. Without knowledge of progressive signs of failure (compression, oil use, jetting) or parts recovery, it's just speculation.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 10/28/15 at 15:46:26

I've always been told that excessively loose valves can be a problem because of the hard smack against the valve instead of the steady increase in pressure.

Not sure if it's true or not.  Never seen anything to back it up.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 10/28/15 at 16:37:09

When adjusting the valves, isn't a little loose better than too tight? Or do I have that reversed?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/28/15 at 20:20:31

too tight and they don't close. Certain problems.. burned valves at best.
Too loose, noisy, and I suspect the smashing of cam into lifter/rocker allowed by the loose adjustment leads to at best, diminished performance, because thousandths of an inch are the differences between cam grinds and an adjustment that leaves several thousandths of an inch of lift for no reason other than being afraid to adjust them in the tight end of the manufacturers specs just doesn't make sense to me. I understand that the first time or two, but, once one has successfully been in and out, and it's obvious that reading, feeling, the gauges and getting TDC right, then push the envelope a bit. I have exactly nothing to demonstrate that the tight end of the specs is better for the cam, rockers and performance, but it's my opinion.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 10/29/15 at 20:28:16

Kris01 wrote on 10/28/15 at 16:37:09:
When adjusting the valves, isn't a little loose better than too tight? Or do I have that reversed?

the vast majority of motorcyclists agree that it's best to go with the 'loose' end of the spectrum
These are guys tuning for longevity, not power, race crews might prefer the tighter side

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:24:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dropped valve

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.