Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Dropped valve
Reply #30 - 11/04/15 at 10:14:00

done one on a Yamaha crotch rocket
Getting to them was a pain, and pulling the fool cam to check every time you replaced a shim was a pain, but getting the gauge IN there to CHECK the clearance wasn't much of an issue, once you got all the crap out of the way, the valves were pretty much exposed once you got the cover off
this bike has a too small and badly placed inspection port that made getting the feeler in there a total pisser
I broke one of my feelers trying to bend it into a shape that would work

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #31 - 11/04/15 at 16:10:17

agreed.  I do miss the days of sport bikes having threaded adjusters.

here is the best thing I have found for the S-40 engine.  brought to you by our friends at motion pro.  only $5.50 each

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0393/
and
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0394/

WWW   IP Logged
FLDoug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 11/05/15 at 10:53:51

Dave wrote on 10/28/15 at 04:07:12:
I don't know the exact number - but I have seen several damaged engines and heads on this forum or on eBay.  All of them have dropped one exhaust valve into the cylinder - I am not aware of any seats coming loose.

On some of the internet discussion about dropped valves, the cause is suggested as over revving the engine to the point that valve float occurs, and the valve does not follow the cam on the way back down.......and the piston hits the valve head.  Until somebody that was actually riding the bike when the valve failed comes along and tells us what they were doing when the engine failed......we are just speculating about how the Savage engine occasionally drops a valve.

Dave, my daughter was riding an '87 with 9600 miles on it running Valvoline MC oil at 60 mph when someone decided to make a right turn without using their turn signal. She used the brakes and downshifted at the same time. She said the engine revved high and then it stalled and she rolled off the road. The engine dropped one exhaust valve and the internal damage was similar to the damage seen in the engine pictures Cadence has provided.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 11/05/15 at 11:17:50

FLDoug wrote on 11/05/15 at 10:53:51:
Dave, my daughter was riding an '87 with 9600 miles on it running Valvoline MC oil at 60 mph when someone decided to make a right turn without using their turn signal. She used the brakes and downshifted at the same time. She said the engine revved high and then it stalled and she rolled off the road. The engine dropped one exhaust valve and the internal damage was similar to the damage seen in the engine pictures Cadence has provided.

Interesting information.....so maybe the dropped valves come from operator error.  Like the one you mentioned....or maybe a new rider forgetting which way to move the shift lever when accelerating and going down a gear........ instead of up one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #34 - 11/05/15 at 21:04:39

smokin_blue wrote on 11/04/15 at 16:10:17:
agreed.  I do miss the days of sport bikes having threaded adjusters.

here is the best thing I have found for the S-40 engine.  brought to you by our friends at motion pro.  only $5.50 each

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0393/
and
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0394/

those puppies WILL be getting ordered one day, had my eye on them a while, life keeps getting in the way

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dropped valve

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.