Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Looking for recommendations for a new carb float (Read 190 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Looking for recommendations for a new carb flo
Reply #15 - 10/25/15 at 16:33:50

In England, heath Robinson has evolved into a euphemism for  anything that is not kosher-there I go again- I didn't want to use the expression that is not politically correct.

Back to the carb, with that kind of damage, floating is not a guarantee of proper function since the volume has been decreased. Buoyancy.  If the float level is checked and proves to be correct. Maybe.  Wink

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #16 - 10/25/15 at 17:21:25

norm92de wrote on 10/25/15 at 16:33:50:
In England, heath Robinson has evolved into a euphemism for  anything that is not kosher

Not to my knowledge.
The term 'Heath Robinson' refers to overly complicated but functional mechanisms (after the cartoonist, as gizzo said), whereas 'not kosher' would tend to mean 'stolen' or 'counterfeit' (outside of it's proper use).

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/25/15 at 19:48:20

I concur with DR, the creases won't pop out, but, I'd still start with poking that end down in boiling water. Gonna need it on something stiff enough to hold that end submerged and long enough to hold it there a while without roasting arm hair. If you can solder, then clean up the low points and solder some decent wire to it. Some bent needle nose pliers and a small bit of wood, fella might fix the thing. Even with the creases, if it opens up any, you'll be ahead. I think it'd run, as is, but, it's against my nature to not try to fix something like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #18 - 10/25/15 at 20:23:41

ok...if the float is dented does it in fact decrease bouyancy? you have the same volume of air inside the float, it is just compressed.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 10/25/15 at 20:50:17

Volume is part of the equation. Yes, the same number of atoms are inside, but it displaces less volume, making it less  buoyant.
Density is mass divided by volume. Decreased volume, unchanged mass, increased density.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/26/15 at 03:46:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/25/15 at 19:48:20:
I concur with DR, the creases won't pop out, but, I'd still start with poking that end down in boiling water. Gonna need it on something stiff enough to hold that end submerged and long enough to hold it there a while without roasting arm hair. If you can solder, then clean up the low points and solder some decent wire to it. Some bent needle nose pliers and a small bit of wood, fella might fix the thing. Even with the creases, if it opens up any, you'll be ahead. I think it'd run, as is, but, it's against my nature to not try to fix something like that.

It's against my nature to not try and fix something like this as well. I just want to get the carb back on the bike so it's running again until I can get the new float. I almost contemplated opening a small hole in the float where it's soldered to the arm and forcing compressed air into it and closing it up with some solder.

However, the float pin on this thing is not playing friendly and doesn't want to budge. Once I find a punch or something to push it out I'll try the boiling water deal and see what I can get to happen. I've got time because I ordered some of the stainless steel carb bolts from Dave so I'm waiting on those anyways.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 10/26/15 at 04:36:30

If you can trust the USPS tracking....the stainless screws should arrive today.  (9114 9999 4760 5908 53)

Getting the float pin out can be a bit tricky if there is corrosion.  I put some penetrating oil on and let it work for a while.  Then place a small deep socket on the vice and place the carb on the socket so the pin can move down into the socket - then drive the pin with a very small punch.  It is a real balancing act to hold the carb and punch with one hand - while lightly tapping with the hammer in your other hand....a helper to hold something would really be handy when doing this.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 10/26/15 at 06:05:31

Snap a post,,, major ooopsies. Patience is good. Penetrating oil, good.
I've been a body man, fixed loads of things. If you drill, you'll Have to solder. So,,read my post above
. And, it's probably okay. Look at how it's designed. The pin has plenty of surface, it's designed to operate at a lean,it's a bike. One float displacing , percentage wise, somewhat less volume, is really no big deal, IMO.
I'd just try the boiling water thing and see what happens.

IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/26/15 at 18:23:02

So I got this great idea in my head earlier today thinking about dent removal in the tank.

I took some Aleene's Tacky Dots from my wife's scrapbooking supplies and a golf tee. I placed the tacky dots on the head of the golf tee and applied it to the float and jerked it away quickly. I'll be darned if the durn thing worked. I was able to get ALOT of the dents out. I've attached a quick video to show what I'm talking about. Disregard the noise as I was doing this while my daughter was taking a bath. Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUdaf6_mNIk

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #24 - 10/26/15 at 21:53:51

Genius! That worked well. Nice one  Smiley. Looks like that float will go again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:21:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking for recommendations for a new carb float

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.