Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: My new hobby
Reply #15 - 10/27/15 at 05:21:27

One of my favorite rockets had 2 large fins, and the ends were flaps that were pulled by rubber bands.  When the engine was inserted tabs on the flaps touched the end of the rocket engine and it kept the flaps inline with the larger finst.....and when the ejection charge occurred the engine would pop out and the rubber bands would pull the flaps at an angle.  The rocket would then point nose down and spiral slowly as it came down, the large fins would keep the descent slow.  It was an easy rocket not to lose as it didn't float for a very long time.  I lived in an area with lots of woods and if the rocket took a long time coming down it was easy to lose in the trees.  We would cut big holes in the parachutes to help the rocket come down faster.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My new hobby
Reply #16 - 10/27/15 at 19:10:20

Hey, Run, I shouldn't have answered out of ignorance. I went looking for motors, just, Stuff, and saw that, Indeed, black powder... is what it is. I could get Dangerously intrigued by the ideas I'm having.

Youzguys,
I look back at the picture of all those rockets, dang, you were Into It..
In 73 I built my first U Control, a Flite Streak, with a Fox 15 engine.
I don't know how many days I took it out and crashed it before I could get three flights. I crashed it many times. Being a novice, trying to fly a vertical 8, it's risky.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:21:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › My new hobby

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.