Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag support bracket for a '95 (Read 53 times)
Durandal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saddlebag support bracket for a '95
10/21/15 at 10:05:31

Hi all, I posted here a few times years ago when I had my first bike, a 2000 (I think) Savage in silver.  Loved that bike!  
Anyway, my cousin went and bought a '95 for his first bike.  His mom wants to get him some saddlebags for Christmas.  Long story short, we need to get the support brackets as well.  Can anyone tell me if the support brackets for the current S40 will fit the '95 or not?
Are any of the universal kits out there worth it?  I see kits from Saddlemen and Willie and Max.  Are they worthwhile?
Thanks for any help you can offer!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Saddlebag support bracket for a '95
Reply #1 - 10/21/15 at 13:23:43

As far as I know, the saddlebag brackets fit any of the different years.

There is a nice "search" function on this forum.  Go to the top of the page and find the "SEARCH" icon.  Hit that button, and you will have to fill in a few lines to do a thorough search.  I would just search the Rubber Side Down, as there won't be much about saddlebags in the other areas.  You also need to put in the length of time you want to search.....if you don't change the setting it will not search back very far and you won't get any results.

There is some "current" discussion about the regulator/rectifier (pun intended) that is mounted on the top of the rear fender, and the amount of heat it makes.  It is not recommended that you mount your saddlebags in a way that covers the regulator/rectifier with a saddlebag strap.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #2 - 10/22/15 at 04:11:44

My wife has two 2006 S40s with what I believe are OEM bag mounts.  There are two versions to be aware of.  The difference is if you have the OEM backrest or not.  If you do not the mounts mount on the two inner side bar bolts.  One is the bolt that comes through up at the front by the shock and the second is the inner hidden bolt about half way back.  If you have the backrest then the mounts that were on that bike bolt up at that same front bolt but then use the rear bolt that goes through to hold the rear of the bar and into the backrest.  The rear bolt doesn't exist on the bike without the back rest. Instead there is a rubber gromet and a stub pin on the side bar that goes into it.

for some reason I was thinking the 95's were all backrest models.  There isn't any reason that the non-backrest mounts wouldn't fit on the backrest bike.  It is the other way around that is the issue.

Otherwise the year of the bike should not make a difference that I am aware of.

hope this helps

WWW   IP Logged
henneman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/23/15 at 13:50:53

I put supports and a backrest on my 2006 three years ago.  The backrest was OEM, but the supports were stainless steel ones I bought on E-bay.  They were half the price of the OEMs.  As I recall, when mounting, the screw length is very particular.  I think I had to buy bolts a little longer than what came with the backrest, then grind them off slightly.  As the supports were mounted between the fender and the backrest mounts, the bolts that came with the rest were slightly too short, and the bolts I bought were a little long.  I put Saddleman soft bags on (medium) and cut out the overlap on the rectifier with a utility knife.  Its a little bit of a pain to do all this with back tire on, but nothing insurmountable.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 18:28:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag support bracket for a '95

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.