Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
OK so the thread on oil is locked . . . (Read 327 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: OK so the thread on oil is locked . . .
Reply #30 - 10/26/15 at 11:33:37

Friction modifiers are sneaky things -- Rotella T6 has moly oil in it now but the amount is very low.   As ZDDP goes down other additives that were commonly known as friction modifiers are creeping in to all the synthetics.

I am testing for it now by switching back to Rot dino as my Rot syn was giving me very minor warm up clutch slippage.

I checked Bob's for current VOA data -- issue is that nobody has tested any Rot dino since 2008 so any recent change becomes as a surprise.

I did go look at the Shell Tech pages and sure enough, they list Rot dino as 1,100 ppm zinc ..... aw shite, there goes another good oil getting sorta kinda wimpy on us.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May%202013/rotella.htm

This is the most modern independent VOA for Rotella Triple Protection I have found.

Next dino jug I try will be Walmart Supertech HDEO 15w40 -- the same stuff I used to always recommend as a clean up oil for abused bike engines since you could actually afford to change it monthly until the caked up gunk stopped coming out of your engine and you could see your oil level again in the little crudded up glass windows.

The way of things is wimpier and less  less zinc and phosphorus -- Rotella Triple protection is now down to 1,100 ppm zinc.   I suspect that all of the HDEOs are dancing to a CJ-x spec change so the rest may drop soon as well.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 10/26/15 at 11:41:09

Well....seems like maybe we need to update the ZDDP blend table in the Technical Section to reflect the new ZDDP content.

It used to be that the Rotella T could be used without adding anything....now I am not so sure.  I had settled on 1,200ppm being a safe lower limit - and 1,400 ppm being the upper limit.

And....I wonder how we know what version of the oil is on the shelf (at home or at the store)?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #32 - 10/26/15 at 15:54:57

IMHO this topic has been given way more wind than it deserves.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #33 - 10/26/15 at 15:59:08

Don't they date code the bottles on the bottom or something?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 10/29/15 at 13:31:38

Gus,

It's not about the question that you asked,  it's about the oils.  

Periodically somebody brings the topic up and we are reminded to go look at the oils again. This time we got a surprise and one of our favorite oils had changed formulations a little bit, but still it means we have to pay attention to it.

Dave mentioned the bump tables needed to be updated.   This is true, but until it happens I think we will find that the existing bump table recommendations for Rotella T (dino) Triple Protection are still good but instead of putting you at the top part of the scale the lower starting point will put you a little notch below max but still within the range of "good".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:25:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OK so the thread on oil is locked . . .

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.