Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
OK so the thread on oil is locked . . . (Read 327 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Re: OK so the thread on oil is locked . . .
Reply #15 - 10/21/15 at 13:17:29

Ya, I don't know if it is safe for wet clutched. Person would want to make sure before you went ahead with it. Also the liquid titanium was kind of a question mark with me too. I'll  ask around a bit see what I can find out. As far as availability; in these parts we usually get our oil at farm stores like Runnings or Fleet Farm. Stuff is always cheaper. I haven't checked any of the widely available auto parts stores.

Gus

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #16 - 10/21/15 at 17:13:30

WARNING If you start to read this entry please read the whole thing. There are two different formulations of the Kendall GT-1 oil. Don't use the wrong one.

OK here is what I found on the compatibility of Kendall GT-1 High Performance oil ( not to be confused with Kendall GT-1 Motorcycle oil).

This quote is from this web site:  http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/

A member with the handle beanoil claims to have done the foot work.  

"I've sent an email to ConocoPhillips asking them which Kendall GT-1 20W50 oil they recommend using in a Gold Wing. Will post what they say.
Here is the response from Kendall R&D:

"Either product will provide the protection that your motorcycle requires. I would recommend whichever is easier to find locally.

The Kendall GT-1 Motorcycle 20W-50 meets the API SN engine protection and JASO MA1 friction requirements.

Kendall GT-1 High Performance 20W-50 has higher levels of ZddP and contains our Liquid Titanium(R) Protection additive. It also meets API SN and has JASO friction MA."

Now the thing to notice here is the difference in the name of the two oils referred too.

Kendall GT-1 motorcycle oil-----Bad for the LS650
Kendall GT-1 High Performance oil----Good for the LS650

So it sounds like the Kendall GT-1 HP has the acceptable amount of ZDDP and is OK for a wet clutch.

As an aside; I found out that Conoco/Philips bought out Kendall 10 years ago or so.
Do with it what you will. I, however, will use Kendall GT-1 HP in my scooter and never look back. It is easy for me to get, inexpensive and past personal reliability will let me breath easy knowing my scooter is splashing around in the good stuff.  Wink

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 10/23/15 at 16:50:35

Congratulations, Gus

You have re-ignited the 2015 annual fall episode of the perennial oil war.

We see your name brand is Kendal and you mention "big air-cooled twins" and you simo-posted data about 20-50 weight oil so the temptation before us is to think Harley weight oil instead of Savage weight oil.

But, to offer up a proper sacrifice on the altar of the OIL WARS you have to NAME it completely and fully and give us its weight designation.   An actual buy me link to your reference is always nice too.  

I think you have tried to do this by saying the Kendals are different, but then the question remains which weight are you going to bat for?  

Need to get the 20w-50 vs the 10w-40 all settled first.   Our Savage was built in Japan (not Milwaukee) and it is spec'd to use a 10w40 oil.

Then you can tell us why you think it is "better".

We do this every year when it starts to get cold and the boys get all bored.

If it sounds like a contender, Verslagen has been known to buy a case and get out his recording thermocouple device and hook it up for a head to head test.   Last 20w-50 he tested got hotter both in the head and in the sump because it was thicker and converted more energy to heat than the 5w40 contestant did.   It also moved heat more slowly than the 5w40 contender it was up against.

(that one was a war of full synthetics, not to be confused with any of the dino products wars either)

Bob is the Oil Guy gets consulted for analysis data and we generally kick through what makes a good Savage oil again, which gives the newbies some ongoing education and some entertainment.

So, shoot us a link to what your contestant really is going to be and I will be an impartial referee type person.   Or you can get Justin to do it, or Dave if you prefer, and then I can go play too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #18 - 10/23/15 at 17:51:34

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/23/15 at 16:50:35:

Congratulations, Gus

You have re-ignited the 2015 annual fall episode of the perennial oil war.

this was NOT my intention here. I was simply offering up a other alternative to a very short list of available lubricants.

We see your name brand is Kendal and you mention "big air-cooled twins" and you simo-pos :'(ted data about 20-50 weight oil so the temptation before us is to think Harley instead of Savage.

[color=#ff0000Not sure on the line of questioning here so I'll just give it a roll here and see if I cover it. The oil is Kendall 20/50W GT-1 High Performance
The big twin I was referring to are in fact Harley's - specifically pre evolution. I know nothing of the ones built after the Shovelhead.[/color]

But, to offer up a proper sacrifice on the altar of OIL you have to NAME it completely and fully and give us its weight designation.   A link to your reference is always nice too.
my reference came from here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1683003.   I was referring to the 20w50 

I think you have tried to do this by saying the Kendals are different, but then the question is which weight are you going to bat for?   Need to get the 20w-50 vs the 10w-40 all settled first.
the only one suitable for the Savage in the Kendall oils is the GT-1 High Performance. It is the only one with acceptable levels of ZDDP.

Then you can tell us why you think it is "better".

I NEVER said I thought Kendall gt-1 was better; just another alternative to add to a short list of acceptable lubes

We do this every year when it starts to get cold and the boys get all bored.

If it sounds like a contender, Verslagen has been known to buy a case and get out his recording thermocouple device and hook it up for a head to head test.
I have no investment in this and don't really care if it ends up on the list or not. Like I said earlier, I just thought it would be nice to add another contender to the list. Always nice to have more options. I'll probably use it because it is readily available in my area, inexpensive and I've trusted many an air cooled motorcycle to Kendall in the past; motorcycles worth a lot more than I paid for this one.

Gus

Bob is the Oil Guy gets consulted for analysis data and we generally kick through what makes a good Savage oil again, which gives the newbies some ongoing education.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 10/24/15 at 09:20:37

Define inexpensive.
I'm cheap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 10/24/15 at 09:21:55

Define inexpensive.
I'm cheap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #21 - 10/24/15 at 09:59:59

In my area (rural Midwest) ; I can buy it at the farm store for 3.89 per quart.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #22 - 10/24/15 at 10:22:38

Sounds like it's fine as long as the clutch doesn't slip and you're not riding when it's below 14F. I don't ride much when it gets below 30. Let us know if the clutch acts up.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #23 - 10/24/15 at 12:20:38

Conoco/Philip R&D says it is compatible with wet clutch operation. And ya, I'm a winter rider too but to a point.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #24 - 10/24/15 at 12:30:13

Conoco/Philip R&D says it is compatible with wet clutch operation. And ya, I'm a winter rider too but to a point.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 10/24/15 at 22:03:34

Rotella T is cheaper,, around here.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 10/26/15 at 07:36:43

Not sure on the line of questioning here so I'll just give it a roll here and see if I cover it. The oil is Kendall 20/50W GT-1 High Performance.  The big twin I was referring to are in fact Harley's - specifically pre evolution. I know nothing of the ones built after the Shovelhead.

Why we don't use "Harley recommended" oils in the Savage.    

First, the weight is wrong.   Yes, I know you can do it, but a 20w50 weight oil is too thick for the Savage, winter or summer.   Stick with the 40 weight oil the Savage was designed for and you will get what you should have for piston drag and performance losses due to oil factors.   In house testing with 20w50 weight oils showed the head and the sump run hotter with 20w50 simply because it causes friction loss due to the higher viscosity and the thicker oil is slower to release heat to the environment when pooled down in the sump.  In Verslagen's testing, 20w50 oils ran the head and the sump about 10 degrees hotter than the 40 weight oil did, just due to the increased viscosity.

Also, please realize that large Harley engines use a separate oil slump for their engines and any specialty formulated Harley type oils can contain moly and/or titanium additives at levels that would be a "friction modifier" contaminate in a wet clutch bike like a Savage.  

Plus, all Harleys use roller tappets in their valve train, which do not even have the sort of long dragging friction surface that we Savagers have to deal with.   A Harley oil simply misses the mark in a Savage engine.

What is "potentially wrong" with the Kendal oils bottled lately

Kendal is just a brand name now-a-days and the oil in the jug itself seems to change formulation without any real notice.   VOA evidence of oils running the gamut from simple car oils to real performance oils is found in BITOG, with the name on the oil jug remaining the same over the years.   Older seems to be better, but here is an example of a "lighter" VOA.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3314209/Kendall_GT...

Seriously, this one seems to have been a standard car oil by its VOA.   Tons of calcium, not much zinc and phosphorus (car levels).  

Does Kendal do a better job with its real racing oils?  Perhaps.  But since the RACING OIL bottling changes frequently and it isn't widely available it becomes a very moot point.  

Also remember that real racing oils do not have detergent additive packages in them, because real racing oil is changed after every single race and detergent packages rob hp from a pure performance racing engine and are left out of all real racing oils on purpose.

Supply of the Kendal oil at local outlets is somewhat irregular of late as the retail sales minded people bottling it only bring out the Kendal brand name when they have a particular reason to do so.  

For example, bulk amounts of Kendal oil bought on $3-$4 close-out pricing seems to be the reason the oil gets tested at BITOG of late.  

So, Conoco/Philips does bring out new oils each season, generally formulated to current car standards and some of them get bottled as Kendal, with varying results.  

The fact Kendal has at least two grades of Kendal 20w50 running under the same name and weight should signal a "beware when buying".

Kendal is an old school CAR OIL brand name, so it has buyers who want it to do what it used to do back in the day, but they may find they have actually bought a modern SL to SN car oil in an old school Kendal named bottle once they have it tested.

What was not clear until reading this  http://www.racereadyproducts.com/oil--lubricants/kendall-gt-1-motor-oil/ was that even the the very best Kendal racing oils are not full synthetics, but are only a dino/synthetic blend.   This means they do not have the full heat resistance of say a Rotella T6.  

Kendal is very careful NOT to mention that it is a dino/syn blend on the bottle, but allows your imagination to fill in all those blanks.

They are very careful NOT to mention that the 40 weight Kendal oil is a Car/Passenger Truck Oil ONLY, either.   It is not even an HDEO oil.

What?   Where did you see that little nugget?

Race Ready also brings out the point that NO KENDAL 40W OIL has the amount of zinc in it that we need in a Savage engine, Kendal reserves the "zinc fortification" only for the 20w50 racing class semi-synthetic blend.  

Paying "suggested retail" at $11.00 a quart for Kendal is very expensive as you can buy Rotella T6 full synthetic for half that price at your local Walmart.

Buying Kendal on sale at $5.00 a quart means you are paying Rotella full synthetic T6 cost for a Kendal synthetic/dino blend.

And as JOG reminds us, a quart of Rotella triple protection dino oil costs less than $4.00 a quart normally at your local Walmart.  
(buy it by the gallon, please -- its cheaper)

Since Kendal apparently gets reformulated frequently, you need to check carefully what you are getting before you go buy some.

============================

So, in conclusion, Kendal doesn't go on the Savage recommended list because it is too expensive and it gets very mixed VOA reviews over time (has different formulations on sale at the same time) and for the ongoing heavy use of a friction modifier (liquid titanium).

« Last Edit: 10/26/15 at 09:57:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 10/26/15 at 08:37:46

Back in the days before the internet forums, and before the EPA got involved in messing around with our oils....I used either Kendall or Pennzoil exclusively in my 4 stroke engines.  Word on the street was that those 2 oils were made from Pennsylvania Crude oil....and that the oil was high in paraffin content which made an excellent motor oil.  This was before there were any synthetic oils were commonly available.  Our lube was "dino", and our fuel was "leaded"!

I have bought expensive synthetic oils and used them with good results - but honestly I have never worn out an engine using Dino oil that is changed regularly.  However - once I heard about the lower levels of ZDDP being hard on older flat tappet engines - I started to be careful about oil I used in my old equipment.  At first I was buying Brad Penn High Performance Oils at about $ 8.00 a quart to use in my older cars - the modern cars got modern oil.

When I first came to this Board I was skeptical about the Rotella T 15W-40 oil - as the reports from other forums claimed it to be a good oil - but never went into detail about why.  Just folks saying "so and so" uses it in their race bikes and a lot of second hand accounts.  With the information I found on this forum I understand what the ZDDP does and why it is important to use the right oil in the Savage.  I also have learned that you don't have to spend $ 10 a quart for a synthetic oil - you can protect your Savage with Rotella T and only spend $ 12 a gallon if you wait for a SALE!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 10/26/15 at 10:58:46

the stuff in blue is good enough to use plus the last item in the red section

OK, only the stuff in blue and the last item in the red is good enough at a minimum (un-augmented) for a Savage engine.   All the rest require bumping.

An item of concern is Rotella Triple Protection (dino)  --- it may have slightly less zinc and phosphorous than it used to.  Used to be a solid 1,200 ppm, now may be down to a thousand.

This analysis is from the older flat tappet Jeep people, who are faced with our same valve train issues as we are.

Read the whole thing for good background and a right mental picture.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rotella-worlds-first-ever-combined-hair-oil-f...

He's got a sense of humor (which makes it pleasant enough to read) and so far all I have read is technically spot on.

He also tests Walmart Supertec dino HDEO oil as last item in the red approved dino oil listing, and he rates it as better than Rotella Triple Protection for Zinc and Phosphorus content.   This was unexpected, as Rot T3 is weaker than it used to be, but this is the second time I have seen this information from independent sources.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 10/26/15 at 11:13:43

Well....Jeep guys don't care about "Friction Modifiers" - do we know which oils in the chart have them?

And.....perhaps we need to consult Shell or Bob is the Oil Guy to see if Rotella T has been changed - or if the test results are out of wack a bit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:16:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OK so the thread on oil is locked . . .

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.