Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sissy bar and B pad hafta go (Read 267 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Re: sissy bar and B pad hafta go
Reply #15 - 11/10/15 at 19:14:57

That bike with the tall sissy bar on it is a sweet looking ride DW. I was out riding tonite (45°) and had wildlife with antlers cross the road in front of me. It was dark and cold so wasn't traveling to fast ; 50 methinks. Nice note for a ride; lotsa deer around d here. DNR feeds them not a mile from my place during g cold weather.
Anyway I got my Intruder front end in the mail today. Tubes look to be about an inch longer than stock Savage tubes. The only way I can see putting a wider tire on an Intruder front end is to saw off the fender mounts. That is my initial observation anyway.

Here is a pic of the frontend.

IMG_20151110_204222.jpg

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 11/11/15 at 03:59:47

Gus:

You are most like correct about the fender mounts.....the Intruder has a wide front end and a narrow front tire - with a skinny fender on it.  The mounting points on the forks are extended to allow the fender/bracket to be small and light.

Trimming the mounts back shouldn't cause any problems - however you might have to drill and tap the bolt holes a bit deeper if they don't provide enough bolt hole depth when trimmed back.  You could also remove the mounts completely if you don't plan on having a front fender.

Suzuki_Intruder_800_black.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #17 - 11/11/15 at 09:49:54

I am going to put a full fender on the front so I'll have to do some modifications on the fender mounts.

Tube sizing on the Savage is 38mm and on the Intruder it is 41mm so I'll have to use the intruder tubes. They are about an inch longer than the Savage tubes. I want to shorten the original tube length anyway so using the Intruder tubes isn't a problem.

First I want to put a larger rear wheel on. Then I will address the tube length. I'd. Like to put on an 18" rear wheel. I'm wondering if I can do that without lengthening the swing arm. I've  already been looking into that.

Anyone know of anyone that has lengthened a swing arm on a Savage. I know the tubes are oval.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 11/11/15 at 10:53:44

I run an 18" rear wheel and a 130/70-18 tire without any clearance problems with the swing arm.  If you get a tire much bigger in diameter than that and you may have a clearance problem with the cross piece at the front, and most people trim that back rather than lengthen the swing arm......as they can still use the stock rubber belt.  If you lengthen the swing arm you either need to convert to a chain.....or you could use a Kawasaki KZ750 rear pulley which has 65 teeth instead of 68 teeth and a longer swing arm to work with the stock belt.  If you are going with a 18x2.50 rim you should only be running a tire up to 120 wide - a larger tire will require a wider rim, and the 130/70-18 tire is supposed to be on a 18x3.50 rim.

The only way that I have seen anyone lengthen the stock swing arm is to extend the flat plates, RYCA sells pieces that are cut to fit onto the stock swingarm.  It would also be possible to get a second swing arm and splice the two together to make a longer arm.....but that is a bit risky as it will be putting more stress on the swingarm, and it was never really designed to be that long, and most most likely doesn't have a lot of extra strength built in.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #19 - 11/11/15 at 11:08:16

Thanks for the useful info Dave. The tire size thing kinda gets away from me. I'll have to look at some wheels and tires for reference. I'll go back and look at your build a bit too and look at your tire. I'm not opposed to tweaking my plan a bit to make things a little easier and cheaper. As long as I am able to get the desired outcome.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 11/11/15 at 11:12:08

He said 'twerking'  Grin

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #21 - 11/11/15 at 11:22:43

Yowzer LOL twerking is easier than twerking. ��

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:24:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sissy bar and B pad hafta go

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.