Send Topic Print
Who's build is this? (Read 564 times)
Full-Turkey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Who's build is this?
Reply #15 - 01/17/16 at 13:47:52

That is a sweet bike, only reason I didn't use the buell for a donor was I found a savage for the right price when I needed one. Also this is my first complete build, and I was hesitant to build my own frame at first hence the voodoo vintage frame. since building the bike I've been collecting tools and knowledge so my next bikes will all be frame up builds and I'll be making as many of my own components as possible. Currently I'm preparing to start version 2 of this bike and it will be getting a engine swap, tank, redoing the seat, and I'll be redoing a lot of the fabrication I originally did.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 01/17/16 at 19:42:10

Wow! How loud is this thing?  Shocked

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #17 - 03/28/16 at 19:33:27

Robert,

I've got a million questions about your build.

How's the flex in the rear-end with the sweeping tubes?

What issues did you run into mounting the mono seat?

How much of the stock donor did you wind up using?

Where'd you source most of the components you had to purchase to get this done?

How much $$$ is wrapped up in this build so far?  (only if you're comfortable sharing this data)

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Full-Turkey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/13/16 at 12:38:54

Desertrat, I tried replying to your message, but since I haven't posted 10 times I'm not yet allowed to pm.

First thing: some low life crap bag STOLE my bike last night from the Daleville Inn of Daleville, Al. So if anyone in the group starts to see pictures of it surface please contact the Daleville police department. Titles aren't required in Alabama or Georgia so I'm betting it will be sold with a bill of sale to some happy unsuspecting individual.

EDIT: bike was found Saturday morning left in a ditch. I drove 14 hours back to Alabama and have it safe in my garage. Unfortunately enough of the bike is damaged and I don't trust putting it back on the road until every part is inspected. So that's all she wrote for this bike until a very rainy day comes.

And onto your questions.

-bike isn't loud I had something welded in the pipe for back pressure and it left a lot to be desired as far as exhaust sound goes.

- no known flex in the rear, everything is braced pretty well and the tubing is a sufficient thickness.

-no issues mounting the mono seat, I did move the lower mount huger on the frame, the real issue is finding a spring/foam combination to keep the ride pleasant.

- from the donor I used: tires/wheels, brakes, forks, trees, and misc electrical bits for the engine. I deleted all unnecessary electrical parts.

- all the other parts were taken from other make and model motorcycles and various motorcycle part stores

- money is hard to estimate because I've been through a lot of trial and error. If you know what your doing you could probably build the same thing for 3-5k depending donor bike cost, on your skills, tools available, and if you want quality paint job or powder coat.

« Last Edit: 04/25/16 at 19:31:48 by Full-Turkey »  
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #19 - 04/13/16 at 14:17:59

Wow Turkey, that super sucks.  It's a beautiful build.  Hope it finds it's way back unscathed...and they hang the ba$tard by the balls

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #20 - 04/13/16 at 16:27:51

Full-Turkey wrote on 04/13/16 at 12:38:54:
First thing: some low life crap bag STOLE my bike last night from the Daleville Inn of Daleville, Al. So if anyone in the group starts to see pictures of it surface please contact the Daleville police department. Titles aren't required in Alabama or Georgia so I'm betting it will be sold with a bill of sale to some happy unsuspecting individual.

Robert, that SUX ... sorry

I hope you build another, you're bike turned out sweet

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 04/13/16 at 19:34:06

Someone stole a Savage? That's a first! Most people wouldn't give it a 2nd look. Sorry to hear your bad news! I would find this guy and scatter his parts in 3 counties. I would be devastated!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 04/14/16 at 14:14:03

Did you make your own seat press for that leather?
I have been thinking of asking a local fiber glass guru to form me a seat, so I can make a mold press for the leather.
I like how the lip has no need for a split on he front end, how wet was that leather? and what grade and thickness?
I haven't worked with big sheet leather since I was in high school, I used to make purses, belts, billfolds ect.... for a few family members, and sold a bunch of personalized wallets to guys at my dads work. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Full-Turkey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/18/16 at 04:22:09

I'm not too sure what a seat press is, or what grade or thickness was. I have a Tandy leather store pretty close to where I live so I just go and pick a piece of vegetable tan shoulder that is about 3/16" thick. Then I hand tool, paint, dye and run water over the leather until it soaks completely through then stretch it over the seat. As far as seat pans go, I'm about done with custom seat pans because I am tired of looking for a foam combination that works with a thin seat, I plan to just use the biltwell pans with their foam so I just have to focus on the leather work. Here are some pictures of a biltwell wrapped seat I did on my sportster. Sorry about the picture size. And also this isn't my artwork, I usually just search the Internet for tattoos I think look cool and will work well being tooled onto leather.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:42:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who's build is this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.