Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Signs of running rich or lean? (Read 123 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Signs of running rich or lean?
10/16/15 at 22:37:09

Finally took the licence/insurance off my Vulcan 500 and transferred them to the Suz Tracker.  When I took it out a few weeks ago for a short run, I said it was a 'hoot'. Today I confirmed that reaction, for almost a full hour. But here's the thing: it almost feels too eager to get going, leaps to attention on a green light, I almost feel as if I have to hold it back, it really wants to run away. No lag, no hesitation, at all.  When I bought it a year ago, as a cruiser, it never felt this lively. Did all the carb mods, jets, white spacer, K&N, verslagy, etc.
Did I luck out, or am I missing something? I'll spend the next month enjoying this pony. Cool

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Signs of running rich or lean?
Reply #1 - 10/16/15 at 23:35:38

I'm not sure I understand how your thread title relates to your post, but I'd say that when you convert the Savage to a lighter street tracker and then do the air/fuel mods you should expect a livelier ride.  If you went with a larger rear wheel as many do, you should also expect more on the top end too.  FWIW, I'm glad you're having a good time. That's what it's all about.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 10/16/15 at 23:56:03

Proabably a little nervous because I don't understand why this engine is so lively all of a sudden. Yes, 140/90 rear with 2" longer shocks. ( I always look a gift horse in the mouse, lol!)
Cool

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/17/15 at 00:04:25

Sounds like a wrist problem... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/17/15 at 08:33:39

zipidachimp wrote on 10/16/15 at 23:56:03:
Proabably a little nervous because I don't understand why this engine is so lively all of a sudden. Yes, 140/90 rear with 2" longer shocks. ( I always look a gift horse in the mouse, lol!)
Cool

When I get a gift horse, I ride it like I stole it  Cool

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 10/17/15 at 09:54:22

The Savage is already a pretty light bike for its displacement and available torque. That was one reason I bought one. This makes for a pretty quick bike off the line. It is quicker off the line than a lot of other motorcycles-- up to about 50mph. That is when its rather low horsepower rating shows itself.

If you've built your Savage as a tracker, it has probably lost a bit of weight, making the weight/torque curve even better.

If you have raised the rear of the bike a little, that will lessen the trail on the front end geometry, making the steering a little quicker. This also might give you the feeling of a livelier ride.

In the right tune, these engines run very well. When stock they are usually tuned a little lean. I think the white spacer mod is the single best modification you can make. Mine was a 2001, with the white spacer mod, one size larger main jet, one size large idle jet, and a dyna muffler with a 3/8 inch hole in the baffle for a little more noise. It ran great. It didn't after-fire when the throttle was closed, although it did a lot of grumbling and snapping as it approached lower RPMs (which I liked). Occasionally if you shut if off immediately while hot, I would get a soft "poof" out of the exhaust. I usually got about 46mpg, which wasn't all that great compared to some of you guys. It was probably a little rich, but it ran great. No hesitation, no bogging.

Here is my experience on lean vs rich for midrange and full throttle. If you open the throttle and it sound like it is bogging, but things improve if you close the throttle just a hair, you are too lean.  If you feel the engine surging a steady speed, you are too lean. If you open the throttle wide and you get some misfiring, you are either too rich or way too lean. Spark plug color is also a good indication of lean or rich, especially on a Savage where it is not possible to modify the ignition timing.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 10/17/15 at 10:08:00

bobert_FSO wrote on 10/17/15 at 09:54:22:
In the right tune, these engines run very well. When stock they are usually tuned a little lean. I think the white spacer mod is the single best modification you can make. Mine was a 2001, with [b]the white spacer mod, one size larger main jet, one size large idle jet, and a dyna muffler with a 3/8 inch hole in the baffle for a little more noise. It ran great. It didn't after-fire when the throttle was closed, although it did a lot of grumbling and snapping as it approached lower RPMs (which I liked). Occasionally if you shut if off immediately while hot, I would get a soft "poof" out of the exhaust. I usually got about 46mpg, which wasn't all that great compared to some of you guys. It was probably a little rich, but it ran great. No hesitation, no bogging.

bobert_FSO,

what elevation are you at?

how much of the "white spacer mod" did you do?

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 10/17/15 at 11:43:10

sea level: vancouver bc.
white spacer 1/2+ off. it doesn't surge, but really moves out.
jets 55/152.5, dyna muff.  Most responsive bike I've ridden, almost no backfires. I'm probably making too much of this, time to ride! Cool

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #8 - 10/17/15 at 12:36:33

"how much of the "white spacer mod" did you do? "

Wichita KS, elev 1300ft. I removed about 1/3 of the thickness. I don't remember the jet sizes, except that they were 1 size up from stock.

I had started with an Emgo muffler like Ryca uses. It was louder than I wanted. It was also too open. With the stock jets, the header pipe started turning gold within 30 miles of riding. With the jet changes and the Dyna muffler, the header pipe actually went back to silver and never discolored.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 10/17/15 at 21:34:41

You might be a tad rich. I'm also at about sea level (maybe 200-300 ft. above). See my signature for how I tuned the carb. It runs great with no surging and gets over 60 mpg.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:24:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Signs of running rich or lean?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.