YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Any Tire Tips?!
10/14/15 at 12:44:44

Hey all,

Just up to almost 9K miles on my S40, and when I bought the bike and did a quick check over and realized the stock tire was still on the front, jeez that's almost 6 years old, and with 9K miles on decided it needed a replacement.

I ride about about 500 miles a week FYI, and so I'll probably end up putting on higher mileage tires than the Shinko 777 I purchased for the front. I figure the front will wear out when the rear (only a year old with about a thousand miles on it) wears out and I'll replace them both at the same time.

The Shinko just arrived today, and I'm going to pick up some tube tape and the tube is coming in tomorrow.

I actually just got a job at a mechanic shop nearby, so I'm going to take the bike to the shop to work on. Any tips/hints I should be aware of when replacing the tire?

I'm used to auto - tubeless tires. Haven't done a tubed MC tire yet.

I figure, deflate, break the bead, remove tire, remove tube, remove rim strip. Add on new rim tape, mount tire, slide in inner tube, bead tire and inflate?

Should I have any issues with the tubeless tire on the tubed style rim with the lip, and beading?

Also, I'm assuming a motorcycle tire won't be able to be balanced on an auto style balancer, so is there a specific way I need to do the spokes/add wheel weights?

Thanks for any advice!

Best,
Matt

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Any Tire Tips?!
Reply #1 - 10/14/15 at 20:46:01

from my observation, most tires are considered tubeless but work on our spoke rims using a tube. you just dont want to go the opposite and run a tube dependent tire as a tubeless. just be careful and dont pinch the tube when putting the final tire side on. should be fine with the right tire tools.

use the spoke weights that wrap around the spoke head where it meets the outer rim. the stick on weights tend to come unstuck.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #2 - 10/15/15 at 08:36:21

baby powder on tube and inside tire

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/15/15 at 19:11:17

Once I stuff a tube into a tire, I put a little air in, to keep it round and not easy to pinch. Not even enough to measure, just enough so it's a tube shape.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/16/15 at 03:54:41

In reading your first post...you say remove tire, remove tube.

You actually will break one (or both) beads, work one side of the tire off the rim....then remove the tube, and then remove the other side of the tire from the rim.

When you put the new tire back on the first bead is usually pretty easy.  You lube up the tire bead with something like RuGlyde, then stand the tire and rim up and you can generally just push the rim into the tire and get the first side on with a bit of pushing and wiggling.  Work the tire around so the little colored dot is a the valve stem...that is the light side of the tire and the weight of the valve stem hopefully offsets the weight imbalance.  Then you use talcum powder to get the tube all slippery, and then insert the valve stem into the rim hole, and work the tube into the tire.  I then remove the valve core and pump enough air into the tube to get all the wrinkles out and straighten it up in the tire.  Then let the air out and begin to work the tire onto the rim.  I start on the side opposite the valve stem so that you are never pinching the part of the tube that can't move on the rim....as the vavle stem through the hole locks the tube in place and doesn't allow any movement.  You need to have actual tire spoons or levers....screwdrivers scratch the rims and tear up the tire bead.

Once it is all together I first inflate the tube with just enough air to start pushing on the tire....then I let the air out so the tube can adjust itself and not get a wrinkle or pinch.  Then I put the valve core back in, and make sure the tire beads are well lubed so they can get seated.  Add air and watch for the beads to pop onto the rim....don't go over more than 50 pounds - if one side won't seat let the air out and work the bead off the rim and lube it again, and try again.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #5 - 10/17/15 at 06:29:55

my 2006 s40 has the factory tires on it with 1,800 miles on it.  I just got it my self at 1,300 miles about 2 months ago and now im starting to ride it every day.  I just ordered my self some shinkos. I would say its time.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 10/17/15 at 21:27:09

The stock IRC tires aren't known to inspire confidence.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 10/17/15 at 21:40:41

A couple tips, for what they're worth...

Front tyre: if you're doing it by hand, work on it disc side up. I've seen discs warped from them being on the ground side while the tyre's being pushed onto the rim.

Coconut oil or brake fluid are the bomb for lubricating the bead when refitting.

I use tyre levers to remove a tyre, but I'll usually fit the tyre to the rim with only a rubber mallet. I've NEVER pinched a tube or damaged a rim or tyre this way. You need to be wearing boots for this, and to stand on the wheel, keeping the already inserted part of the bead in with your heels. Remember, disc side up.....

Have a look at youtube vids of guys fitting tyres with cable ties. I haven't tried it but it looks like a good idea.

If you have access to workshop tyre fitting gear, use it.

You can get it balanced pretty well by putting the wheel on it's axle between V blocks and giving it a spin. The heaviest part will fall to the bottom and come to a rest. Put weight opposite.

My 2c, YMMV etc.

IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #8 - 10/18/15 at 10:50:07

Just an update! Got the Shinko installed after about 4 hours in the shop wrestling with it.

The tire mounting machine is a Snap On, and normally one can use it with the vertical arm to help mount and dismount the tire, just pull the lip of the tire over the machine lip or vice versa and use the machine to spin it on. My rim was too narrow (short when locked into the machine) to use the lip part of the machine though, and I had to use two tire levers by hand to do it. I made a rim strip with an old inner tube and ran 3 layers of electrical tape around to ensure the spokes don't wreak havoc on the inner tube. Kept the old inner tube as an emergency spare although I don't think I'd even be able to change the tire on the fly. Thinking about getting some of that inner tube sealer stuff to use in a pinch.

A couple things I noticed. We have a big jug of the tire lube stuff at our shop, so I just went to town when remounting. The inner tube got some on it through residual goop from lubing the tire, so it allowed the tube to slide and seat itself easily when I put it back in. Breaking the beads were easy, so much easier than on a tubeless. When I reassembled it, I just worked my way slowly around, using the pneumatic press and roller to keep the tire seated as well as my hand, to keep the beaded side down while beading the rest. That was the part that took the longest. Got the tire mounted back on. Noticed for some reason though my brakes seem a lot weaker than they used to. They require a lot more force to compress. I did end up having to compress the piston a bit when I put the tire back on, as moving the bike in the shop halfway through, I guess the brake lever must have gotten hit a little bit. The wheel seemed pretty balanced as is, got it on a jack, spun it, didn't stop at one particular spot any of the times.

The new tire rides like a champ. It feels like a whole new bike. Guess my old IRC must've been sorely worn. I measured 2mm of tread on the side treads, and .5mm on the center treads. I'm also guessing being 6 years old, the rubber compound hardened. Much more confidence taking corners.

As a side note, I went riding yesterday in 40 degree weather, went about 300 miles. I was bundled up like the Michelin man, literally, a thermal, sweatshirt, North face insulated jacket, leather jacket, and a quilted winter style jacket, scarf, hat under helmet, two thermal pants, jeans, doubled up socks, and work boots, and gloves with thermal liners, and STILL forze my tushy off after about an hour. darn. I guess I'm going to have to invest in heated gear after all. Thinking about getting these cheapo heated pads to put underneath the grips and wiring them up for heated grips, and probably going to invest in a fairing/windshield. Does it do that much for keeping a rider warmer?

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/18/15 at 16:35:58

matt1995.

The Savage doesn't have enough extra electrical power to run heated grips, socks....or anything extra.  The bike just barely has enough power to charge the battery, and it you make a lot of stops with only short rides between, you can actually wear the battery down.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 10/18/15 at 19:15:24

matt1995 wrote on 10/18/15 at 10:50:07:
I went riding yesterday in 40 degree weather, went about 300 miles. I was bundled up like the Michelin man, literally, a thermal, sweatshirt, North face insulated jacket, leather jacket, and a quilted winter style jacket, scarf, hat under helmet, two thermal pants, jeans, doubled up socks, and work boots, and gloves with thermal liners, and STILL forze my tushy off after about an hour.

Amateur!  Grin

Just kidding! My hands get cold below ~40, otherwise, I'm as warm as toast. I only wear a long sleeve shirt and my jacket with insulated liner. My gloves are waaay too thin for cold weather though.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 10/19/15 at 07:55:22

Yes, a windshield will help
It'll also lessen the feeling of wearing a parachute on your head if it's the right size / angle (aero drag on the helmet)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:25:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any Tire Tips?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.