Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A decent 530 X-ring chain? (Read 211 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: A decent 530 X-ring chain?
Reply #30 - 10/20/15 at 21:47:56

I asked my backhoe mechanic about buying a small tractor. He said don't buy a twin. The power pulses were hard on u joints. I'm wondering if this big single doesn't yank the bel pretty hard. Think about the acceleration you feel. Sure, the rubber in the hub soaks up some of the bang, but I really don't know hoot about chain.
But, a twin putting out 30 hp won't beat on a chain the same as a single, I believe.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #31 - 10/21/15 at 11:15:46

Yeah, our beloved thumper, as "torquey" as it is, would probably be harder on any drivetrain because it isn't as smooth as a twin.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 10/21/15 at 13:17:23

Kris01 wrote on 10/21/15 at 11:15:46:
Yeah, our beloved thumper, as "torquey" as it is, would probably be harder on any drivetrain because it isn't as smooth as a twin.

It has a whole lot of flywheel to help to soften the power pulses.  The crankshaft has a lot of weight in the large round circles on either side of the rod, the flwheel has a large diameter, the balance shaft is heavy and spins twice the speed of the crank, and the rotor for the electrical system is very heavy......all of this helps to absorb some of the uneven power/compression strokes and even things out a bit........and the rubber cushion in the rear hub helps as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #33 - 10/21/15 at 19:15:48

Back when I were younger a bunch of my friends rode 600 thumper dirt bikes. XR, TT that kind of thing. You could almost see the chains stretching on those things. Destroyed tyres, too. Especially the guys who used to like to lug the engine. My little DR250 (which I still have), much less torque and more RPM, the chain lasted years.

Dave, I don't remember whether your cafe' has a chain or still running the belt and kwak pulley? If you have chain, how smooth is the belt v chain? I think the belt absorbs a lot of snatch. The Cabbage is smoother at low RPM than other thumpers I've ridden (including DR 500, 650 and 800 Big, pretty similar engine there).

My 2c, YMMV etc

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #34 - 10/21/15 at 23:58:15

gizzo wrote on 10/21/15 at 19:15:48:
I think the belt absorbs a lot of snatch.

Shocked I have a terrible mind  Cheesy

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #35 - 10/22/15 at 01:21:31

Yeah me too. I always giggle on the inside when we're four wheel driving and someoneneeds to use a snatch strap. Makes me think of a fat chick's g string  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 10/22/15 at 03:24:05

gizzo wrote on 10/21/15 at 19:15:48:
Back when I were younger a bunch of my friends rode 600 thumper dirt bikes. XR, TT that kind of thing. You could almost see the chains stretching on those things. Destroyed tyres, too. Especially the guys who used to like to lug the engine. My little DR250 (which I still have), much less torque and more RPM, the chain lasted years.

Dave, I don't remember whether your cafe' has a chain or still running the belt and kwak pulley? If you have chain, how smooth is the belt v chain? I think the belt absorbs a lot of snatch. The Cabbage is smoother at low RPM than other thumpers I've ridden (including DR 500, 650 and 800 Big, pretty similar engine there).

My 2c, YMMV etc

I run the belt....it is clean and tidy.  I resolved the need for taller gearing by using the Kawasaki front and rear pulleys.  The increased compression of the Wiseco does make the bike less smooth to ride in some ways....when you let go of the throttle the compression braking is much stronger than on a stock engine, and when you roll on the throttle the acceleration quicker and the power pulses more noticeable.  I have learned not to close the throttle all the way when slowing down.....you just need to be a bit less aggressive about how you use the throttle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:21:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A decent 530 X-ring chain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.