Send Topic Print
New S40 Owners (Read 201 times)
ddm5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New S40 Owners
10/12/15 at 18:54:59

I went to the dealership to get my wife a bike to learn on and got a sweet deal on a new '13 S40.  $3500 OTD.  She has 10 years riding experience on four wheelers and now wants to ride on two wheels.  She's already signed up for a local MSF course next month and I'll teach her some basics prior to the course.

I've bee saving up for a touring bike and plan to buy the BMW K1600 GTL next year.  I've been riding since '01 and have owned the following:  2001 Kawasaki ZX-9R (sold), 2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (sold), and my last bike was a 2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 (sold).

While at the dealership I called my wife and told her about the S40 I got for her.  She asked me why don't I buy a bike so we can go out and about together?  I reminded her that I'm still saving for the BMW and she said to go ahead and find something cheap because she doesn't want to ride out by herself once she starts learning.  

I asked the salesman if he had anything used, $4K or less.  He showed me a '15 V-Star 250 that looked really good but the price started at $4300.  Knowing that it's a V-Twin was intriguing but I decided to pass on it.  

Since he didn't have anything else I called my wife and told her that I'd only be buying one bike for now.  After completing the paperwork the sales manager asked me if I would be interested in buying another S40 if he made me a sweet deal for both.  I wasn't really interested in one for myself but I told him give me a price and I'll think about it.  Well, it just so happens that he had another '13 S40 still in the crate and quoted me $7K OTD for both.  Suzuki was also running a 0% interest special for the duration of the loan so I said what the hell and picked up both bikes and had them delivered on Saturday.  One is orange/black and the other is pearl mirage white/veil silver.    

The initial plan was to find a bike for $4K or less and pay cash but I couldn't pass up the deal for both.  Since I couldn't swing another $3K in cash and since Suzuki had the 0% interest for the duration of the loan I decided financing both wouldn't be a bad thing.  I also got a 5 year warranty on both bikes.   

I'm still saving for my touring bike but will enjoy the S40 until I get it.  The S40 is definitely different from what I'm use to, but I'm happy with it so far.  I plan to order a couple of AirHawk seat covers for added comfort but that's about it for now.  

Well, just wanted to say hello to everyone and hopefully I can learn a lot from everyone here.  .

DM

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: New S40 Owners
Reply #1 - 10/12/15 at 19:12:15

Don't count on her not riding by herself.  My wife got back into riding 3 summers ago after having been away for 14 years and even then barely had ridden 200 miles.  

It went like this......  
(her age 49)...I want to get back into riding.
(me) ok honey I want to find you a LS650
(her) no I want something smaller like my old rebel 450
(me)  but this is just as light and more capable
(her) no..maybe a 250 rebel
(me) wince...have you seen the price of those...
(her)  but I really like those
(me) (after digging through craigslist and just about paying way too much for a rebel I finally find the model I coundn't remember) Honey about a GZ250....10 years old...mint... and only $1250
(her) ok...maybe

So 8 weeks and 1200 miles later we sell the the GZ for $100 more than we paid for it and I find a 2006 S40 with 8K on the clock. by now she is going on solo rides on a regular basis

She proceeds to put on another 2200 miles in august and september of that year.

At this point she admits how much she loves the S40 and that I was right all along in saying it was the perfect bike for her.

The next summer she logs 7,000 miles including going back and doing an 180 mile ride solo that we had done 3 days before that.  Most days for her included a 85-125 mile solo ride while I was at work.

This summer we did a 700 mile trip with two days at 300 miles a day.  Those were 8 hr in the saddle days as we averaged 40 mph with heavy non-stop twisties.  She is currently logging in at 5,500 miles for the year with 6K within view before winter.

and remember this is in Minnesota land of limited ride time and she started with...oh yah...I would like to get back into riding.

So the key of the story is don't count on her not riding solo and in fact encourage her to get out on a daily basis and get the skills under her belt.

She now agreed to let me build her a custom so we picked up a second 2006 just like her first one and this winter it will be getting a bit of work done to it.

We now have 3 650s as I have a custom I just completed of my own.  

I think you will enjoy the bike.  It is very different.  My bikes vary from a GSX-R1100 street fighter custom, to a Triumph Sprint ST, and now my LS650 cafe is complete.  It is an engine with soul.

( If you are curious here is a link to it  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1378864265

Welcome to the club here.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 10/12/15 at 19:57:04

You and your wife will find the S40 rider sympathetic, flexible and of reasonable, if not outstanding performance. You will find many on this forum heavily critical of Suzuki dealers. They use the term "stealership". The five year warranty is very interesting. I would be checking the cost of dealer services and how much of a warranty it's worth. In my country the standard Suzuki warranty was two years. I would allow the dealer to carry out the initial services and after a year or two decide whether you want to do your own maintenance. There is plenty of good advice here. I let the dealer do mine because I don't have a lot of maintenance ability, but I've had 30000 plus miles without trouble. When the stock tyres wear out you might find a 140/90 rear suits better. I have an Airhawk and find it useful. Although after a couple of hundred miles plus your gluteus maximus knows you have been riding. The S40 is apparently best suited to country riding with hills and curves, there is a lot of debate about how they like long distance on American "super slab". You have a small volume petrol tank so don't push over 120 miles without a fill, you may be on reserve at 120.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 10/12/15 at 20:03:48

welcome to the crew

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/12/15 at 22:36:25

The entire Vstar line, I think, looks good. I rode with a guy on his 650 once. I didn't wanna ride as slow as his bike was, and he couldn't begin to stay in my mirrors. We rode once. I understand the oil change on them requires pulling an exhaust, could be wrong, but they're slow.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/13/15 at 06:02:54

Welcome, and congrats on 2 great bikes!  You two should have a lot of fun tooling around on those new beauties.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #6 - 10/13/15 at 10:19:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/12/15 at 22:36:25:
The entire Vstar line, I think, looks good. I rode with a guy on his 650 once. I didn't wanna ride as slow as his bike was, and he couldn't begin to stay in my mirrors. We rode once. I understand the oil change on them requires pulling an exhaust, could be wrong, but they're slow.

It's only the V Star 1100 that one has to pull the exhaust off to change the filter. And yes the V Star 650 is slow (until uncorked)

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 10/13/15 at 11:02:07

Welcome aboard! You'll find this site has a lot of info about this bike. Read the tech section cover to cover to find out about the nuances of this bike. There are a few items that are known to fail but they can be upgraded pretty easily.

Does Suzuki still use the same IRC tire on the newer models? Be careful of those. I was never really confident with them.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #8 - 10/13/15 at 11:12:09

What a great story, and welcome to an outstanding LS650 forum, ddm5000. Get your darlin' on here, too... she'll get a lot out of it.

You have to own a Savage/S40 for a while to figure out what the doggone thing is. I think of it as a spirited little pony of a motorcycle, one of the last examples of a very pure traditional MC. Its element is in town and on  winding green county roads, but it will happily endure the freeway if you insist. It has a fantastic engine with a lot of character and a useful power band. A lot of things were done right on this bike, which has been around  going on 30 years with only minor changes.

It also has a few design flaws, one of them serious (the cam chain tensioner), but they won't affect you on the new bikes, so just ride the heck out of them.

I am 6'3" and am cramped on the Savage, and the seat, even modded by raising the front, makes my butt sore after an hour or so. But, hey, ponies ain't built for all day comfort, they's built for fun!

I am about to add a Kaw Vulcan 900 to the stable for a bigger ride better suited to my ergos, but will never stop loving the LS650. It is that cool, with that much character that you can't find anywhere else.

Happy riding and get ready to find answers to whatever you want to know, because they are all here on SS dot com. The men and women here are good folks and they have wrung these bikes out and come up with solutions to every possible issue  with them. Hey, now...

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 10/13/15 at 11:55:54

One of the things you could do is introduce the selling dealer and his service manager to this forum. If they rubbish it, beware of them. There is a thread on here about "carefully picking your mechanic at a dealership". See if you can check out their service area, are their mechanics Suzuki trained? Will the apprentice be working on your bike? One of the criticisms here is that because the dealers don't sell a lot of S40's, yours had been in crates for nearly two years, they don't really gain expertise on fixing them and there have been occasional horror stories about mechanics putting oil filters in back to front. Speak to them about the Rotella T6 oil praised here and see if they will allow you to use it without invalidating the warranty. It may pay to check a few other dealers to see what warranty they offer and also check with Suzuki USA. As I said in the previous post, five years seems a very long time for a bike warranty, I hope the warranty is in writing.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/14/15 at 03:24:35

Oil......these are the recommended oils on this forum.  The recommendations are based on proper protection of the engine, availability, and price.  You will notice the Suzuki brand oils are not shown - they don't have the proper amount of ZDDP to protect the camshaft.  If the dealer insists you use it....then you need to add enough supplemental ZDDP to get the protection needed.  (Let us know if the dealer requires you to use the Suzuki branded oil, and we will figure out how much ZDDP for you to add).

Dino        -- Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40             $12.99 a gallon  

Synthetic -- Rotella T-6 5W40                                     $21.99 a gallon

Synthetic -- Mobil 1 Racing 10w40                                $9.97 a quart

Synthetic -- Mobil 1 V Twin 20w50                                $9.97 a quart

There are some other oils that work...like Klotz or Brad Penn - but they are not on the recommended list as those are not easy to find or can be overly expensive.

If you don't use an oil with the proper amount of ZDDP, the cam and rockers can wear out really quickly.  This engine only had 4,000 miles on it.....and the previous owner said he used whatever oil the dealer sold him.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 10/14/15 at 11:01:36

A couple of other points, particularly for your wife. The S40 rear brake has a tendency to lock up if applied hard. I don't know whether your wife will use the S40 on her MSF course but both of you should be aware of this, particularly in the wet. The OEM front brake pads may develop an annoying squeal quite early in your ownership. It's not harmful, just a nuisance but the best way of stopping the squeal is to replace them with another brand. The OEM rear tyre isn't gods gift to tyres and you may notice a disconcerting twitch if you are on blacktop that has been patched, this twitch will occur when crossing the join in the repaired section. This isn't to put you off, it's just to make you aware. The S40 is a great little bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 10/14/15 at 11:29:01

I tapered the leading edges and cut grooves across the shoes to minimize surface contact area with the drum.  The brake became predictable and I could vary the pedal pressure and feel the brake vary, instead of just lock up as soon as I  could feel pedal pressure feedback. A handheld 4 1/2" grinder, breathing protection, planning, patience,
I took , IIRC, four slices across each shoe and the leading edge. The grinder disks are 1/4" or so thick, and had been used, so the edge was rounded, creating a radius in the bottom of the grooves, eliminating hard corners that might allow cracks to start. I wish I had taken more off. IMO, a rear wheel lockup is nothing but bad news.
More than casual pressure on the pedal should be required.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #13 - 10/15/15 at 20:10:29

ddm, GOOD STUFF!

My wife and I both have savages, her's is a 2001 and mine a 2003... we enjoy riding together (when we can) and don't worry about a touring bike... you can tour with your S40 if you set it up right! Smiley ( I had to get rid of my road glide Harley because of health issues).

I've driven my LS650 Savage from the panhandle of Florida to North Carolina to the Tail of the Dragon, and from the panhandle of Florida to the Twisted Sisters in west Texas!

The Air Hawk is a good idea, I purchased one in Texas to ride back to Florida Smiley Just remember... don't inflate it so much you roll around on the seat, just a tiny bit of air is needed!

Welcome to the Suzuki savage/ S40 club! we hope to meet you and the missus at one of our meet and greets! Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 01:16:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New S40 Owners

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.