What am I looking at? (Read 106 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
What am I looking at?
10/10/15 at 14:06:39

Doing some maintenance on the gal for my winter riding and I noticed this small leak. It shows in front, but has never leaked enough to even drip off the cooling fins.
Can I just snug up that one bolt, or ?

Thank you wizards( in advance )  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What am I looking at?
Reply #1 - 10/10/15 at 14:43:13

very hard place to discern a leak.
probably the rtv under the cover though.

I'd clean it up run around the block then check it.

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 10/10/15 at 15:22:03

Thanks buddy, I cleaned it up pretty good, going to take my compressor and blow the debris back outta vent in came in from, goodness, a lot of crud gets in there. However, it is storming sumtin ugly right now, so, I will wait till some clearing.
Got the exhaust off too, I have 20 thou on it already, is the exhaust port suppose to be sooty?
I will post a picture on my computer, on my phone right now, but I am thinking too rich?

Will pull the plug and have a look to, but that will be tomorrow, I don't want to chance anything getting in the opening until I blow it out.

Haven't looked at the filter yet, but its been 10 grand or more since I changed the plug and air filter. Have never fooled with the fuel mixture, it is still plugged.

Thanks!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/10/15 at 17:35:13

Since you've been blowing junk around, be sure to blow the crud out from around the plug before you pull it.
Yeah, sooty, like the inside of the pipe.
You've checked the cam chain tensioner,hopefully..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/10/15 at 17:42:20

Yep, the exhaust gets sooty....nothing looks weird about that to me.  I believe the new fuels also don't do the same thing in the exhaust that our old "real gasoline" used to.  If we had seen a white valve in the old leaded fuel days.....we would have panicked.  Now a white exhaust valve is normal.

The amount of soot and color has a lot to do with how you were riding just before you shut it off.  If you had been on the interstate for a couple hours - the exhaust would look a lot different than after a trip to the end of the block and back.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 10/10/15 at 21:41:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/10/15 at 17:35:13:
Since you've been blowing junk around, be sure to blow the crud out from around the plug before you pull it.
Yeah, sooty, like the inside of the pipe.
You've checked the cam chain tensioner,hopefully..

Yep, did a Versy bout 10 M, that was when I changed the plug and air filter last too.
I will clean that area out super good before I pull the plug boss, honest   Grin

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 10/10/15 at 21:49:53

Dave wrote on 10/10/15 at 17:42:20:
Yep, the exhaust gets sooty....nothing looks weird about that to me.  I believe the new fuels also don't do the same thing in the exhaust that our old "real gasoline" used to.  If we had seen a white valve in the old leaded fuel days.....we would have panicked.  Now a white exhaust valve is normal.

The amount of soot and color has a lot to do with how you were riding just before you shut it off.  If you had been on the interstate for a couple hours - the exhaust would look a lot different than after a trip to the end of the block and back.

Thanks Dave, I feel better now, whew...
My commute is 10 minutes w/ top speed in the 50's for maybe half of it, then a 30 minute ferry ride where the engine cools rather quickly, then about 10 more minutes on the other side, w/ 50 being tops.
This is about 90% of the mileage the bike has.

She runs great, all its BF'ing and such, heck, it wouldn't be a thumper if it was quite  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/10/15 at 22:34:34

With the cam, jets, Supertrapp,with fourteen disks, gutted header,K AND N air filter, I could ride through the hospital zone or by horses and riders, no backfiring, even changing gears. But, when it was Ricky Roadracer time, it grumbled and snarled in downshift deceleration, but backfiring was controllable, except for shutdown, it was gonna make some kinda noise, just a whoof, or, maybe a POW,,
but if it's backfiring a lot, you're leaking exhaust or needs the carb tuned, something isn't right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 10/10/15 at 22:46:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/10/15 at 22:34:34:
With the cam, jets, Supertrapp,with fourteen disks, gutted header,K AND N air filter, I could ride through the hospital zone or by horses and riders, no backfiring, even changing gears. But, when it was Ricky Roadracer time, it grumbled and snarled in downshift deceleration, but backfiring was controllable, except for shutdown, it was gonna make some kinda noise, just a whoof, or, maybe a POW,,
but if it's backfiring a lot, you're leaking exhaust or needs the carb tuned, something isn't right.

Not a lot JOG, and I can control if need be, but too, I can get her to sound off  Grin
My biggest compliant is the belt noise, I think she bunches up on top of the pulley, from back pressure, as you decelerate....
I am going to fiddle with tension some more, I think too much twist might be the culprit as the belt begins to stretch ever so little.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 10/11/15 at 16:02:07

The plug was burning right, had that light brown tint.
The one bolt was loose when compared to the one toward the front, maybe about 5 ft/lbs, or so, I took it to the approx same torque as the front.....
Hope that seals the leak.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:36:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What am I looking at?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.