laurenthegold
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alabama
Re: Wiring Question
Reply #15 - 11/01/15 at 21:50:30

Scratch that...

When the rear brake light switch is activated the brake light and headlight both go out and then the "main" fuse blows  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 11/01/15 at 21:58:34

Take the bulb out , switch off, check the base connections in the socket to ground. See if you have a short.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
laurenthegold
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #17 - 11/01/15 at 22:13:25

Unplugged the taillight. Still blowing a fuse. It's wired exactly as in the diagram. Bad brake switch?

IP Logged
laurenthegold
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #18 - 11/01/15 at 22:52:47

Front brake switch activates the tail light without blowing fuse.

IP Logged
laurenthegold
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #19 - 11/01/15 at 23:38:54

Turn signals not working either. Friggn heck.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 11/02/15 at 18:42:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/01/15 at 21:58:34:
Take the bulb out , switch off, check the base connections in the socket to ground. See if you have a short.

Ohm meter, from the power connection to ground. May need to pull out all the bulbs on the back end.
Had the seat off lately? Done anything ?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
laurenthegold
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #21 - 11/02/15 at 18:51:54

Well what had happened was...

I got into the harness to relocate the start switch and the kill switch. Thinking back now the rear brake switch didn't work before, I just thought the cable needed adjusting.

The start switch and kill switch work as planned. The only real problem is the rear brake switch. When activated, it cuts out the headlight and brake light and then some times blows a fuse. I'm guessing the switch is bad.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 11/02/15 at 23:36:26

You know, you could use a test light to check this.  If you put the leads of the test light on each blade of an already blown fuse and then insert the fuse into it's socket, you can check these things one by one without blowing any more fuses...or you could get a multimeter and test them at the sources.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 11/03/15 at 03:09:34

laurenthegold wrote on 11/01/15 at 22:13:25:
Unplugged the taillight. Still blowing a fuse. It's wired exactly as in the diagram. Bad brake switch?

Most likely the switch is working fine....as nothing blows until you activate the switch.  One wire coming to the switch has power, the other wire goes to the brake light.  Unplug the wires from the switch, and then connect them - if the lights dim and the fuse blows.....then you know you have a direct short in the wire that goes from the switch to the brake light.....or you have the wire connected to the wrong wire on the tail light....or something is wrong with your tail/brake light.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 11/03/15 at 15:17:54

Since you said you
Went into the wiring harness
that's where I would start. First thing you know is, when the brake pedal gets pushed, fuse pops. What if you pull the hand brake?
Should do the same thing, I'd guess.
If you don't have a wiring diagram, it's available, free, online.
And I don't know how I would have survived without a test light and an ohm meter. I do know there are some guys here who can solve some serious problems with just a darn test light, but I ain't one of those guys, dangit. They can probably dance, too.

IP Logged
laurenthegold
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #25 - 11/03/15 at 16:49:14

Only thing popping the fuse and cutting the headlight off is the rear brake switch. Front brake switch works fine. Got an aftermarket switch housing for my dimmer and turn signals so that may be why the signals aren't working. Possibly wired wrong. Housing didn't come with a diagram. I opened it up and wired as it looked but it may just be a crap product. It was pretty cheap lol

Using my old neutral light as a test light. Going to test it again now.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #26 - 11/03/15 at 20:11:50

With the wires off the switch, you should get continuity between the two terminals when you press the pedal.  There should be no continuity otherwise.  Also make sure that neither goes to ground with or without the pedal being mashed.  If either pole of the switch grounds, you found a bad switch.

If it passes these tests, the switch is good.

One lead coming to the switch should be hot.  Given that you can blow a fuse with it, I'd say it is.
Check the other lead for a connection to ground without the bulb installed.  If you read a connection to ground, you've got a short in that wire.  In the factory harness, the wire from the front brake light switch and the rear switch connect together to one wire that goes to the back to the light so if there were a ground in it, either brake should blow the fuse.  Has a separate wire been run from either switch to the light?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
laurenthegold
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #27 - 11/05/15 at 15:20:14

Got the rear brake switch sorted. I had it grounded out in the wrong place. It's now grounded to the tail light and working as it should. No popped fuse!  Grin

Thanks for the help!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:14:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiring Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.