Send Topic Print
Front Pulley noise (Read 151 times)
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Front Pulley noise
10/05/15 at 05:36:54

I've started not wearing ear plugs when riding as I so like the sound of the Harley silencer I recently  fitted - courtesy SuperThumper!

Now I can hear a 'chiffing' noise from the front pulley but only when I throttle off! - ie. just a single 'chiff' sound on the initial deacceleration.

Is this normal? or maybe a belt tension thing?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Front Pulley noise
Reply #1 - 10/06/15 at 16:52:35

How do you know it's the front pulley?  I had a similar thing and it turned out it was the gas tank.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #2 - 10/07/15 at 00:26:02

positive its the front pulley area - riding down my lane without a helmet positions it down there

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/07/15 at 04:44:08

Take the cover off and see if you can locate any place the belt could be rubbing.  Check to see the pulley is tight.  Ride with the cover off (careful with our pant leg), and see if the noise goes away.  See if you can find any wear marks on the belt.

The belt could be rubbing on the chrome belt cover if the belt is too loose. When you decelerate the bottom side of the belt will be in tension, and the top will be the loose side.  The belt could be arching up when you slow down and rubbing on the belt guard - it most likely won't hurt anything.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #4 - 11/12/15 at 01:21:38

My Savage had a squelching sound when I bought it that I thought was belt rubbing on the side of the pulley. I sanded down the sides of the belt that seems to have worked for some on the forum, with no change.

The side of the front pulley looked like it may have rubbed on the belt guard -down to the vanes?? So I pulled on the pulley and it had some "play".  Removing the pulley showed that there was definitely a reason for movement, the teeth were no longer square but had worn to points:

New pullies now on front and back, and no squelch!

pulley.jpg
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 11/17/15 at 18:18:33

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/18/15 at 07:43:34

This is one of the
Some of them do it, some don't
issues.
The throw out lever breaks, head plug leaks, front pulley wiggled, electrical connector, never touched by human hands, comes loose.

I dunno if eventually All head plugs leak. The 100,000+ mile guys could chime in.  The front pulley is worth checking. And, if it not obviously moving, could it be a bad idea to knock that washer flat and put a torque wrench on it? Or, would it require breaking it loose, clean it up , go back,,together,, ?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 18:55:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Pulley noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.