Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member with question about a possible purchase (Read 54 times)
Scaddo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New member with question about a possible purchase
10/03/15 at 09:06:28

Hey all,  I am a bit of a lurker/new member.  I first started lurking when I rebuilt a Savage (87) top end for my brother in law who picked up one for his first bike. (PO lost the cam chain tensioner and head went with it.)  While I had it on the bench my wife decided she wanted to ride and since doing the repairs on the 87 we have been working to get her on a bike (motorcycle skills course gear etc)  I have been on a Marauder 800 for 8 years now and she got tired of being on the back.

She also wants to do a bobber and really likes the way these bob.  I have been working on finding something and I think I have something in mind but I wanted to run it past the guys here on this forum to see what you all think.  (After using a forum for lots of info on my Marauder, I hardly ever go to the shop.)

About 100 miles from me is an 07 S40 that the current owner was planning on bobbing and has lost interest.  Right now it sounds like the motor is shot.  He has told me the top end is gone (I assume sold) and the crank is shot.  I am planning on just picking up a complete used engine to replace it with.  He has sold a few other parts like exhaust and the tank but those were things we were planning on replacing during the build anyway.  The carb is still there and the wiring harness is complete and intact.  The bike is almost completely torn apart.  (There is a rolling chasis with wiring and a box of parts from the sound of it, I haven't seen it in person yet.)  What else should I be concerned about?  His asking price is 400 obo and it sounds like he isn't getting much in the way of offers, especially as here in Idaho winter will be setting in soon and that kills pretty much all bike sales.  Just curious for you owners opinions.  Don't worry I can turn a wrench etc and have the manual after rebuilding one bike.  I wonder what you guys fell about the deal.  

I appologize if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new here... Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New member with question about a possible purc
Reply #1 - 10/03/15 at 09:37:52

400 for a chassis with wheels, needs a motor and reassembled.
You know the odds of actually getting all the little bits and pieces?
Maybe YOU don't want the tool box cover, but someone does. Everything you can point out is missing, damaged, etc, price drops.
I wouldn't give over 150, and the title hasta be clean.
I'd sure spend some time sorting through the junk. Look for rust, dings,
Oops,dropped a brick on that stack of parts..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #2 - 10/03/15 at 10:20:19

I'm in agreement with Justin.

$150 TOPS, and that's with a VERIFIABLY CLEAN TITLE. Around here, there are a few for sale, could deal down to $100.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/03/15 at 10:41:42

Scaddo wrote on 10/03/15 at 09:06:28:
About 100 miles from me is an 07 S40 that the current owner was planning on bobbing and has lost interest.  Right now it sounds like the motor is shot.  He has told me the top end is gone (I assume sold) and the crank is shot.  I am planning on just picking up a complete used engine to replace it with.  He has sold a few other parts like exhaust and the tank but those were things we were planning on replacing during the build anyway.  The carb is still there and the wiring harness is complete and intact.  The bike is almost completely torn apart.  (There is a rolling chasis with wiring and a box of parts from the sound of it, I haven't seen it in person yet.)  What else should I be concerned about?  His asking price is 400 obo and it sounds like he isn't getting much in the way of offers, especially as here in Idaho winter will be setting in soon and that kills pretty much all bike sales.  Just curious for you owners opinions.  Don't worry I can turn a wrench etc and have the manual after rebuilding one bike.  I wonder what you guys fell about the deal.  

There's a couple of non running but complete bikes in my area for $600, and it's still riding season.
that and a 100 miles to get it would turn me off.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/03/15 at 13:15:39

After rereading, really adding up what is gone, I wouldn't drive that far to pick up such an incomplete bike. You're buying a rolling chassis.
He sold the stuff you could've sold to help finance the build.
I'd need pictures of the cylinder inside, and the wheels. You MIGHT save the engine, but a head and cover, which is usually gonna have a cam in it, are gone.
If you're planning on a bobber, that could be the beginnings, but I'd buy a running bike, they're cheap, or, if not running, at least all there and low enough miles that the tensioner isn't falling apart.
And a super cheap rolling chassis, like this one, to build.
You can ride, AND build. When you are done building, sell the daily rider. Right now, he has a trip to the junkyard. If he strips it, separates aluminum, he might get 100 bucks.. I'd probably offer fifty.
Save him the hassle of hauling it off. If it's outside, all you've got is the frame and wiring harness , ignition , rectifier, and if I was building a bike, that would be okay, but this is probably not a one winter job, and the cost is gonna be more than the price of a decent, running, bike. I know all about the personal rewards and the spending.. everyone does it, well, everyone who just likes building..
It took all of my willpower to limit the mods to exhaust, jets, cam and intake.

I'd want pictures, and knowing the title is clear, he needs that just to sell it at the junkyard anyway. And I'd lowball the Heck out if him, AFTER I got the pictures. You can't make an offer on something you haven't even seen.  No way it's worth four hundred.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:28:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member with question about a possible purchase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.