Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust pipe getting a very faint golden tint (Read 97 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust pipe getting a very faint golden tint
10/02/15 at 17:24:08

I think this is probably ok, but I noticed a very light, almost indistinguishable golden tint on the exhaust pipe in the area where it comes out of the engine.  I believe it's from exhaust heat.  The bike has around 600 miles on it.

I've seen other bikes like this, but just wanted to get your response.  (Probably normal ... ?)

Thanks,
Ron G

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Exhaust pipe getting a very faint golden tint
Reply #1 - 10/02/15 at 17:46:25

Ron,

The yellowing may be normal, but you can probably minimize the discoloring of the header by decreasing the amount of time you leave the engine idle. When you have to stop for a traffic delay or a railroad crossing shut the engine down.

When you first start the bike to go for a ride be prepared to start out after only a very short warm-up. Take it easy on the throttle for the first mile or two.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 10/02/15 at 19:25:23

Absolutely normal. The harder you are on it, the darker it will get. You can polish it back to shiny with Blue Job and lotsa elbow grease, but the color change will come back.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/02/15 at 20:07:07

Ron,

I have had my S40 for about 4000 miles and my pipe looks the same as the day that it was delivered to my home.

The first thing I have always done with a new cycle, or a new exhaust pipe, is wax the header with Johnson's Paste Wax. You will be counseled against waxing exhaust pipes by many different people, but It works for me. I wax the pipe every time that I wash the cycle.

Summer is coming to an end in North Texas, but it gets awful darn hot during the summer. I never allow an engine to idle more than absolutely necessary. Long before I ever owned an electric start motorcycle I got in the habit of shutting down when traffic stops. If your engine is well tuned it will start with ease.

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/KennyG1938/media/IMG_04411_zpsqlhm719d.jpg....

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 10/02/15 at 20:15:40

Does the wax not burn off?

The discoloration comes from the metal heating. I'm not sure ANY coating on the metal would prevent it from changing colors.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 10/03/15 at 00:04:13

Most likely the golden tint will eventually not be "almost indistinguishable"....It will be a distinguishing characteristic of your header.  I like the gold.  It says my bike gets enjoyed.  I would caution you against using blue away or blue job. Those remove the layer of chrome that is "discolored" and the more you use those the more chrome you remove.  Use blue away only when you get ready to sell to make nice photos.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 10/03/15 at 07:56:08

Yep, kinda makes it pointless to put a lot of time and effort in cleaning it.

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/05/15 at 11:50:49

Thanks for your responses.  Chrome to golden for the exhaust color is not uncommon.

Ron G

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 10/05/15 at 13:51:42

Yep.  The only way to keep it from discoloring is park it.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:26:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust pipe getting a very faint golden tint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.