Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
best motorcycle roads in the USA (Read 180 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
best motorcycle roads in the USA
10/02/15 at 16:24:06

This will make you want to be a wanderer.

Not sure how to post a link but here goes my first try.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?s=75

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: best motorcycle roads in the USA
Reply #1 - 10/02/15 at 16:25:04

Hmmmm, look at number 1!!! Grin Grin Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/02/15 at 16:29:09

23 and 38 also have my attention.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/03/15 at 02:27:39

The issue with Best Roads is that it is a common voting popularity thing.

"Most" bikers ride Hurleys.    So the "our unique popularity algorithm" picks the roads Hurley riders like.   Fast sweeper roads, not tight curvy roads.

So, your Best Roads ranking is really just a full sized Hurley popularity contest.  

And what's with the names?   Fontana Dam road (Hwy 28) gets renamed "The Hell Bender" ?????   And the lower section of it gets listed again as "The Mountain Meander"?  

This must be for all the Hardly riders who turn left instead of right and get themselves all lost.
Hell Bender, I guess most Hurleys have a hell of hard time making up the hill and having to do some tight curves at the same time?

.... iffen I was to call one of them roads up there "The Hell Bender" it would be Hwy 32,  which is a road we didn't even take you guys on since it involves a short dirt section at the start of it.   That's a for sure spaghetti busting Hell Bender of a road .....

Interesting that the majority of the top 10 best roads in America are what we ride twice a year.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #4 - 10/03/15 at 07:22:30

The maps are sure deceiving. I live close to #54 and was wondering how it ended up on the list (as in how could they choose hwy 51 over hwy 127) until I read the written directions. We do have a few nice bike roads down here.

That was a nice link. Thanks.

edited to add: That was a nice link. Thanks.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 10/03/15 at 19:47:43

You certainly cannot take anything away fro the Dragon or the Sisters. They sure are fun. Like I said, I just like the idea of trying different roads and I like long sweepers just like I like the tight curves. Hey, I'm not gonna lie, the adrenaline rush of the Dragon is amazing. Smiley

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 10/04/15 at 10:56:19

My favorite ride so far was across from Frenchtown NJ in Revere PA. You could head north to the Delaware Water Gap using some twisty back roads which were almost as good as the Dragon.
 The best part was that I lived at the start of the twisties, turn left and off you go. The bad part was that riders sometimes would park thier bikes in the ditch outside my house. The squids were the worst but seemed to have the most fun.
 I would let them use the driveway till the bikes got picked up no charge. Smiley

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/04/15 at 15:30:39

That sounds like a nice road Ed. But I see you are way south of there now.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 10/04/15 at 18:49:39

I really would like to go north on the blue ridge....

And I would really like to go back to Colorado and do a few there...

Washington / Oregon would be on my list (never seen a red wood in person)

Would also like to go to see the devils tower and ride those roads too....

Lots of great places to go to..... hope I can do them  Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #9 - 10/08/15 at 14:30:44

I personally don't see the appeal of Deal's Gap. It's too many blind corners and way too much traffic. I'm a much bigger fan of the Cherohala Skyway.

Some of the best roads that I've personally ever been on were in southern Utah around Grand Staircase - Escalante. Perfectly smooth roads, grippy pavement, amazing views, and very little traffic.

Hwy 550 in CO between Durango and Ouray is another favorite. Hwy 50 in CO is also amazing as it follows the Arkansas River.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #10 - 10/08/15 at 14:37:44

The Black Hills are neat but I think they kind of fall in the group of roads that Oldfeller was talking about. Nothing too tight and most likely littered with HD Dealerships and bars.

If I had the freedom, time, and bike for a long road trip right now I think I would head to the northwest to start. Maybe it's from growing up in the vast motorcycle wasteland of Illinois but I can't get enough of riding through mountains on a motorcycle.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/09/15 at 11:40:43

BSTON wrote on 10/08/15 at 14:30:44:
I personally don't see the appeal of Deal's Gap. It's too many blind corners and way too much traffic. I'm a much bigger fan of the Cherohala Skyway.

If you choose the time and/or day....the Deals gap area can be almost deserted, as can the Cherohala.  Sunday afternoons are the best time to go to the Dragon.....and before noon on any weekday it also has far less traffic.  Just about anytime on Saturday it can be horribly crowded.

Route 32 is a road less traveled, and it is 30 miles of fun.

« Last Edit: 10/10/15 at 06:08:56 by Dave »  

32_002.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #12 - 10/09/15 at 13:52:43

I lived in SW Ohio (east of Cincinnat) as a teenager and began riding motorcycles there. After college, I moved to Wichita Kansas. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Back home, any road that was not a state or federal highway was a curvy, fun little road. A 650cc bike was considered big. There was no place to really go fast. You could have real fun tooling around on a 250cc bike.

In Kansas, we ride for 20 miles or more of straight boring road to find an interesting 5 mile stretch of road. Most roads are straight for many miles and are laid out in a grid. It's 20 miles or more between towns. It's the same in most of the plains states. No wonder Harley-Davidson built big heavy cruiser motorcycles. They had to be capable of half-way comfortable, sustained highway-speed operation in order to get anywhere. Even just the next town. However, it is somewhat impressive to ride where you can see the horizon all around you.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 10/09/15 at 16:41:24

Thanks for posting the link Springman.  My bucket list just go a little bit longer.   Smiley

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #14 - 10/11/15 at 08:18:44

Too nice to sit around, so I fired up the thumper and .... Up the road to "pre-1937" Route 66, to Route 66 west through the Laguna and Acoma rezs,, to El Malpais (lava flows) past La Ventana natural arch through "The Narrows" (between lava flows and 500ft sandstone cliffs.  

It may not be on the list, but literally NO traffic and plenty of scenery. And the burger joint / gas station at Laguna has real good burgers and fries...... Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:46:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › best motorcycle roads in the USA

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.