YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: School Shooting
Reply #45 - 10/05/15 at 09:44:13

Serowbot wrote on 10/05/15 at 09:11:07:
It does say "well regulated",.. doesn't it?...
What you figure they meant by that?... Undecided...

Who,.. did the founders intend to regulate this militia?...
They said, "well regulated"... not "unregulated"... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 10/05/15 at 09:55:51

Read what the ones who wrote it said about it.
The intent of the 2nd amendment was to give citizens the ability to defend themselves against their own oppressive government should it turn against them. There was a lot of internal debate (well documented) about this since it seems to contradict language against treason, high crimes etc...but declaring independence and being in battle against their former sovereign when they felt no choice (remember 'WHEN IN THE COURSE OF HUMAN EVENTS....) they felt the need to give citizens the right to defend themselves.

Now if you disagree with that or say its impractical in todays world, that's another argument, but you can't (well you liberals can and do) change the meaning of worse written at the time to suite yourself today.

So, how about a little intellectual honestly. Call for 2nd amendment to be repealed, but don't try to change meanings.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #47 - 10/05/15 at 09:57:57

... but, honestly,.. what do you believe they meant by "well regulated"?...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 10/05/15 at 10:25:15

I have read that because war had been brewing for a number of years, the men of communities banded together to offer protection to their communities. How many had ben involved with the French/Indian War (not an accurate name!) and they were not far removed from hacking an exsistance out of the wilderness. It was definately a manner of life completely foreign to us. There was no federal government, it hadnt been created yet. The idea of a local militia formed of citizens, organized and run locally might seem crazy to us but I would guess if you looked around the globe for nations in a similar disorganized state, this is happening now.

also, we view things today as needing to be run by some government agency to be valid when I don't think that was the case back then. Laws and organizations were just forming, people took care of things themselves.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #49 - 10/05/15 at 10:37:07

Quote:
but, honestly,.. what do you believe they meant by "well regulated"?...

Right from the horses mouth, so to speak.

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/second-amendment.php

In case you don't care to read the whole thing yourself.

"On June 26, 2008, in District of Columbia v. Heller (PDF), the United States Supreme Court issued its first decision since 1939 interpreting the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.  The Court ruled that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution confers an individual right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense."

"In the majority opinion authored by Justice Antonin Scalia, the Court first conducted a textual analysis of the operative clause, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The Court found that this language guarantees an individual right to possess and carry weapons. The Court examined historical evidence that it found consistent with its textual analysis. The Court then considered the Second Amendment’s prefatory clause, "[a] well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," and determined that while this clause announces a purpose for recognizing an individual right to keep and bear arms, it does not limit the operative clause. The Court found that analogous contemporaneous provisions in state constitutions, the Second Amendment’s drafting history, and post-ratification interpretations were consistent with its interpretation of the amendment. The Court asserted that its prior precedent was not inconsistent with its interpretation. "

So that's what the supreme court thinks it means. Until such time as there is another case and a different decision, we can jabber about it all we want, but there it is.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #50 - 10/05/15 at 10:41:55

I would say yes, Americans have their own distinct ideas, it is a melting pot of culture and enflunces, unlike so many mono-race/ beliefs of other countries...
The ugly American was prolly aptly applied to some, then used by the host country to extend the CHIP they have on their shoulder.
As bot and I sorta discussed in a different thread, we engage because we think we have the right answer, and everyone needs to hear it 😮

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 10/05/15 at 10:42:33

My plane is landing so I gotta go, but here is a link from my favorites list that I found once. contains a list of quotes.

A fair reading of the amendment, especially when viewed alongside the other 9 which restict the government's ability to force citizens to think or act a cettain way, has to lead you to believe they wanted the citizens to have the freedom to arm themselves and to restict  the government's ability to disarm them. Any other core meaning requires quite a stretch.

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/quotes/arms.html

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #52 - 10/05/15 at 12:46:58

mpeslatori understands my point.  I would point out that there are way too many "citizens" out there who when armed, get real brave and confrontational.                I seriously doubt that Zimmerman would have gotten out of his car and confronted that kid if he had not had a gun on him. He started the trouble and then when he was getting his a$$ kicked he killed someone.     Yeah, I'm REALLY impressed by that sort of mind set. Scratch a bully and you will find a coward hiding inside.

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #53 - 10/05/15 at 16:52:04

Serowbot wrote on 10/05/15 at 09:57:57:

Here is what the SPLC thinks of them:

THE INTELLIGENCE PROJECT IDENTIFIED 1,096 ANTIGOVERNMENT “PATRIOT” GROUPS THAT WERE
ACTIVE IN 2013. Of these groups, 240 were militias, marked with an asterisk, and the remainder includes “common-law”
courts, publishers, ministries and citizens’ groups. Generally, Patriot groups define themselves as opposed to the “New World
Order,” engage in groundless conspiracy theorizing, or advocate or adhere to extreme antigovernment doctrines. Listing here
does not imply that the groups themselves advocate or engage in violence or other criminal activities, or are racist. The list was
compiled from field reports, Patriot publications, the Internet, law enforcement sources and news reports. Groups are identified
by the city, county or region where they are located.

https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/d6_legacy_files/active_patriot_...

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #54 - 10/05/15 at 17:26:23

Scary...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 10/05/15 at 17:50:40

how many of those 240 walked into a school and opened fire last year?

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #56 - 10/05/15 at 18:15:59

Serowbot wrote on 10/05/15 at 09:57:57:

"well regulated"  = 'A Leader'.

See another post,  about how, 'words', change their meaning.

I have a question.  What does:
" ... ANTIGOVERNMENT “PATRIOT” GROUPS ..." Mean ?

Does that mean:
If I voice my displeasure, in how the Guberment is run,
If I voice a opinion, on how the, Guberment, does NOT represent it's, Tax Paying Citizens.
If I prove how the Guberment, grossly oversteps it's bounds,
by making 'rules' for ONLY themselves.
If I prove, the Gubrment, enjoys privileges, ONLY, available to them, by their Own Hand.
(Last two, the, 'Proof', is WELL Documented)

Does that mean I, am a: ANTIGOVERNMENT “PATRIOT” ?
And on some sort of, 'list'.
To be hassled, by a, Guberment, I speak about ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #57 - 10/05/15 at 18:27:12

mpescatori wrote on 10/05/15 at 08:51:09:
" ... I perfectly well know of the 2nd Amendment, I studied all Amendments ..."

Did you study, when, that was written, and When, this part of N.A. became a independent country?

Did you study, how words change?

Not long ago, one could sit on a bench waiting for a bus. And a person walks by.
(You happen to know that person that walked by).
You say, to the person sitting next to you, (waiting for the bus):
“That person is really Gay".
The person sitting next to you, believes, you just stated: ‘That person is really Happy'.
Today, you get thrown in Jail, for a hate crime.

How about, ‘Plunger’.
Today, we all know what a, ‘Plunger’ is used for.
But LONG, before Plumbing, any kind of plumbing, was used.
(Now don’t get into a tit telling about the Romans, who had ‘bath’ houses,
here they were called, ‘outhouses’,
Only difference was they deffacatied on a bench which was over a stream of running water).

Their was a, ‘Plunger’.  Which meant, ‘Gambler’.
As in: A Person who, ‘plunges’ into something.

So, ‘words’ change, but ‘Meaning’ does not.
The 2nd Adm, is ALL about the Citizens Right, to protect themselves, from a ‘oppressive’ government.

In THIS, Country, we have that right.
In yours?  Don’t know.
What would happen if another, Mussolini came along ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #58 - 10/05/15 at 21:29:41

If you have a Blacks law dictionary from back when it was written, then you'd understand the commerce clause. And the second amendment. Read the commerce clause. Look at how they use
Regulate.
Then, it meant, regular, normal, equal..
A well regulated militia would be made up of people who could use each other's ammo. One stockpile of shot would work for everyone.
And the
Free state..
Don't start thinking about the State.
State , condition, the condition of the people.
Remember who wrote the Constitution.
They had fought for freedom from tyranny. You REALLY believe they didn't intend for the People to be ABLE to fight for freedom?
What's WRONG with people?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #59 - 10/05/15 at 22:33:21

I give,.. you all win... Grin Grin Grin...

We're all allowed 22lr. (the most common ammo)..
...as long as we share...  Huh...

Are those 240 "militia's"  sharing?... Grin Grin Grin...
They are "Patriots",... Right?... Grin Grin Grin...

The insanity of the TT, has me politically punch drunk...
I need a recess..
TTFN... Huh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 01:26:50

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › School Shooting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!