YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Hurricane Joaquin >.<
10/01/15 at 10:46:10

Hey all,

If any of y'all have seen the news/weather, it's been a wet week for us in the Northeast so far, and it's looking like now we might get clobbered by a darn 'cane. It's already bad enough the rain is hard enough that it makes riding darn miserable. Looks like I won't be on the road for another week or so. I did get a reasonably priced Nelson Rigg cover out of it though.

If anyone is around the DC/MD/VA area and ever wants to ride I'm pretty much down Fri-Sun!

Hope this hurricane turns itself out to see!

Best,
Matt!

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Hurricane Joaquin >.<
Reply #1 - 10/01/15 at 11:43:46

Hurricane force winds on top of already soaked ground means you will lose a lot of trees -- this is not a good thing.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #2 - 10/01/15 at 12:15:27

Yeah it's a pretty horrible situation overall. We're all just crossing our fingers at this point in time.

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard 8K Miles - Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 - Inline Fuel Filter - Raptor Petcock Mod - Modded Air Filter - Seat Lifted - 2 1/2 Turns Out - ~1200RPM Idle
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #3 - 10/01/15 at 12:35:42

I was just watching the weather channel about the storm. Seems like only a day ago it was barely a tropical storm now it's a cat 4. Having spent most of my life on the Gulf Coast and surviving Andrew, Katrina and the 4 storm criss cross of Florida I feel for you east coasters. It's gonna get ugly if he doesn't turn out to sea for sure. They're already saying if this turns in it could be another Sandy. Not as intense but with way more rain fall and coastal flooding.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 10/01/15 at 15:10:37

Yep, we're hunkered down in good ole Ponzer. Well, not really. I had a big day today, went to the hospital and nursing home to make some visits, drove about 140 miles in the truck, brought back some things I could not have on the bike. Oh, well, it is a trade off.

It is extremely wet here, and they are calling for 5-7 more inches of rain before the hurricane gets here. Can't get much wetter, just deeper.

Last track I saw pointed Joaquin farther out in the ocean.  We'll see.

Other than that, I am about as prepared as I can and am going to get.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 10/01/15 at 17:31:27

There's still a couple of tracks showing it coming in at SC and one coming in at NC and a couple on up from there.  The vast majority are shifting more out to sea.

Weather channel a while ago mentioned the first death from the hurricane in the US. Flash flooding from one of the rain bands in the carolinas.  A lady drowned in her car in an underpass.  That is about 1/4 mile from where I work. You could see the water line on the sides of the underpass when they opened it back up this afternoon.  It was about 12 feet deep. The road guys said there was about 4 or 5 feet of mud in the bottom that they dug out with a back hoe.

We've been getting rain bands in the carolinas for the last couple days.  Wish it would just go on somewhere.  I'm tired of all the rain.

Everyone near the coast, please take adequate precautions.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
matt1995
YaBB Newbies

Don't let sanity
ruin a good
adventure....

Fairfax, VA, USA
Reply #6 - 10/02/15 at 17:25:34

Well thank God, it really is looking like it's heading off to sea. We're getting some massive flooding around here though, and it's still a nasty next few days for riding. Looking forward to spraying off the bike, and giving a good natural air dry on Monday/Tuesday whenever the weather clears up.

Hope everyone is safe and doing well!

Best,
Matt

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 10/02/15 at 20:44:32

Steve H wrote on 10/01/15 at 17:31:27:
A lady drowned in her car in an underpass.

Not to make light of her death, but why does this always happen? She probably regularly drove that road at least twice a day (to and from) and couldn't tell how high the water was? Even 2-3 inches of water on the road will slow you down enough to get your attention. How do you drive through 12 feet of water and drown?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/02/15 at 21:05:08

her last text.
I gotta go. I think the water is getting deeper.

Just seems the water being so much closer to the bottom of the overpass would have been reason to stop. Or, maybe the water was moving down to the underpass and just took her in, with both feet on the brakes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 10/05/15 at 16:01:24

There were 2 other abandoned cars at the underpass. Given how high the water line was on the concrete, it would have looked like you were driving into a small pond with a railroad tressel about a foot over it. No idea how she got that far in and drowned.  Wonder if a cell phone was involved.

This underpass floods regularly and not long after it started raining, the fire department from 1/2 mile away had already put up barricades.

Kris, you are probably right in that she drove the road all the time.  It's not a main travel artery of the city, but is a well traveled road. Most who go through there do so regularly.

I don't understand why people drown in underpasses either.  If you can see it has water in it, do go in it. It's a hole...it will get more water.  Sounds simple.

It's beyond me why people try to drive through flood waters anywhere. Just go around.

There was also a bridge that washed out on a nearby road during the same flooding. Nobody hurt there but the road will be out for a couple months.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 10/05/15 at 17:39:50

This is another example of that "Global Warming" that isn't happening...
Better get used to it,... or move...  it's going to get worse... Huh...

Stay safe...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 10/05/15 at 19:24:18

Also could have been stuck in traffic under the overpass, texting to her friends and not paying attention..
Some times the water rises really fast, thats why they call it a "flash flood"

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:27:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hurricane Joaquin >.<

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.