Rotella  T6  oil (Read 198 times)
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Rotella  T6  oil
10/01/15 at 08:26:37

Needed some oil, so went to Fleet Farm, for some Rotella.

Their is a 5.00 Rebate per gal on the T-6

Slip says good to Oct 31, and 2 rebates per house.

Here, it brought the price down to, 16.35 a gal.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Rotella  T6  oil
Reply #1 - 10/01/15 at 10:17:01

Dave has proven to me that standard Rotella can indeed survive our mountain trips without distress and my paying double for T6 really isn't required.

I, who for all this time said give me T6 or give me death,  just filled my Savage up with dino Rotella triple protection .....

Justin will approve, I am sure ....

« Last Edit: 10/01/15 at 11:47:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 10/01/15 at 15:17:21

I have never used, ’synthetic’ oil, in anything,
(Just To Expensive)
always the cheapest I could find,
BUT, changed it often.

Had to, ’stock up’, on the regular,
and thought; ‘Gonna Try the new fangled stuff’.

Have a 25 hp, gas, air cooled, lawn mower, that in the summer,
can get, Real Hot. So was going to try some in it.  
To late this season, (Hey Bot, hows the Jacket coming ?)  

And at 4.00 a quart, (with the rebate), worth a shot.

Just thought I would mention it, for those who do use it on a regular basis.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/01/15 at 18:16:22

At that price....it is worth a try!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/01/15 at 18:58:55

Oh, T6 is really good oil, I've used it for 10 years now -- but I want to see if my clutch heals itself some after getting rid of a certain "higher level" of ZDDP replacement additives (moly oils) that are going into all synthetics now, and that includes T6.   Moly oils are moving into most all synthetic lubes now, with the exception of Red Line that has stuck with the mega doses of ZDDP that used to be common in all oils.

It is an experiment ......  I also want to observe the change in my weep rate on my head ooze issues using dino vs synthetic Rotella.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/01/15 at 19:20:44

It is an experiment.

Isn't Everything?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 10/01/15 at 19:29:15

No, for example Win 10 is not an experiment.

With over half of the folks answering polls now having some sort of issue to complain about, now Win 10 is no longer an experiment any longer.

It is a dubious bet "against the odds".

Wink     ..... but hey, sez MS, it is for free if you are using Win 7 or Win 8.1 or if live in China we'll cover them pirated XP installations too  .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/01/15 at 19:49:51

Well, every I do IS an experiment. That's a train wreck, and they're just giving it away..
Wonderful

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 10/01/15 at 21:52:15

Well, my 2000 F150 with 211,000 miles on it is due an oil change (7 quarts), maybe i'll go get me a couple gallons.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/02/15 at 02:38:01

Cars with emissions sensors need not apply for Rotella as the ZDDP can cause long term damage to the sensors in the exhaust system.

But I understand you think your sensors are shot already, and practically speaking this may be true.   But ZDDP over 5-6 years can cause the O2 sensors to fault out on your yearly inspections and wind up costing you money to replace them every decade or so.

Cars need car oil, I am afraid.   Car oils now have moly oil and other stuff in them and these other goodies are intended to support modern car valve train systems with roller tappets and shim and bucket type systems since they have no appreciable amounts of ZDDP in them any more.

Rotella is needed to support antique systems like in the Savage, which require LARGE amounts of ZDDP.    

But 3 years ago Rotella T6 picked up moly oil as a required additive as a current spec'd oil ..... we announced it when it was first seen and then started watching for issues associated with it and have now begun to see the clutch slip just a little bit until the engine warms up completely.   To verify moly oil as the "possible cause",  to Rot Dino I go.    

Rotella dino has no moly oil in it as moly only goes into the synthetics by requirement ......

« Last Edit: 10/02/15 at 09:18:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/02/15 at 07:15:23

Well Odfeller, my question then is do you ride in the cold weather? I currently use the dino Rotella in the summer and the synthetic Rotella in the winter just because I want that lighter starting viscosity for the cold weather.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/02/15 at 09:02:30

Riding in the winter is no strain on the oil or the engine, the Savage's whole general age generation was originally a 20W40 oil as in '87 that was the popular oil weight for Japanese motorcycles.   Then it went 10W40 when it became the common prevalent oil weight.

Ignore Harleys, they have been 20W50 since Harley was a puppy -- and Harley development had nothing to do with Japanese built Savages.

First digit has to do with cold weather pumpability and quite frankly our oil galleries are short and our straight cut gear mechanical oil pump is going to immediately pump the oil no matter how thick it is.   Plus, on an air cooled single cylinder our "in the jug" oil gallery brings the oil up to jug temp long before it reaches the cam bearings themselves.

Rotella T6 has a long history of rendering our bikes "overheat temperature proof" and for that reason I'd still recommend it over Rotella dino.    I just need to perform a little experiment right now to see what I can see.   Dave has proved to me that dino can take it, as he has been on every trip in the last 5 years or so running dino.

In truth, the synthetic oils are somewhat harder on "O" rings and other rubber components, leading to minor shrinkage and weep-type leaks, of which I've got one right now.

Let's see what a season of dino does to prevent me from having to do a tear down on an otherwise good running engine ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/02/15 at 11:45:40

What seals  are you worried about?

IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #13 - 10/02/15 at 13:33:44

Just to chime in on you Oldfeller,

My Suzuki is the newest thing I have owned in quite a few years. My daily driver up until last year and still running strong is a '53 Pontiac Chieftain with a flathead straight 8. Rotella dino is my favorite for all of these old cars. I even add just a touch of extra zinc for those tappets. You can hear the difference on the valve train quick.  Engine has 16,000 miles on it after overhaul on it 3 years ago. Ive owned a '77 GS750, a '80 KZ650, an 80 XS400, 3 different VW diesel rabbits( two brand new engines), 3 VW Bugs, and currently an '84 mercedes 300d. All run Rotella Dino.  All of themimmediately sound better on cold starts and no valve noise after a hard run after changing over to rotella. The merc had castrol 20w-50 in it its whole life.

I have been convinced of this stuff after trying several types and the only other one I will run is Delo 400. I was happy to see the opinions of people in the oil wars on this site leaning towards common sense after seeing so many people going on about royal purple this and motul that.

IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #14 - 10/02/15 at 13:35:21

A few of these vehicles seepage as well and the rotella helped with that too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:26:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rotella  T6  oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.