Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Headlight Swap Options ??? (Read 650 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Headlight Swap Options ???
Reply #30 - 10/08/15 at 03:18:47

Albert Verdugo wrote on 10/07/15 at 23:05:56:
And what about a headlight switch?

Does anyone had made a switch to turn on and off the headlight (after turning the key CCW)?

Huh

What would be the purpose in turning the headlight ON when the bike is turned OFF?  You can accomplish almost the same thing by turning the ignition switch to ON....then turning the STOP switch on the right handlebar to kill the ignition circuit.

Adding a switch to turn the headlight off when the bike is running is easy - the switch could be added to the ground wire from the headlight....that way it would be able to turn off both the low/high beams with a single switch.

In another thread....we are discussing the fact that the charging system in our bike is always charging at full capacity, and the regulator/rectifier has to bleed off any power that is not being used by the bike.  Therefore the charging system is designed to use up most of the available power, with just a bit extra for battery charging.  When the battery is charged any excess power is burned off by the regulator as heat.

If you turn your headlight off while riding you are not saving any electrical power - you are just diverting it to the regulator to be burned off as heat.....we don't know how much extra power the regulator can burn off and not overheat.  

If you goal is to get some electrical power for running heated gear when it is cold, I don't think anybody believes it is a good idea to ride with the headlight turned off - you need to be as visible as possible and folks thees days expect to see a headlight/running light on any vehicle that is in motion.  The 2004 and later bikes are wired so the headlight turns off when the starter switch is engaged so the full battery power can be diverted to the starter and ignition system.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #31 - 10/08/15 at 03:59:21

In many states, it is illegal to ride with the lights off.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #32 - 10/08/15 at 07:17:40

Kris01 wrote on 10/06/15 at 19:40:59:
Maybe you're not aware of WD's expert knowledge of 2 wheels in general. I'm sure he's correct!  Wink Grin

I'm not an expert by any stretch. Have spent 39 years spinning wrenches in rod, kustom, boat and motorcycle work bays, since I was age 4. Have owned in excess of 100 street motorcycles, have either restored or customized each one.

That said, I still can't fix 2 strokes. I throw them away and buy a replacement whatever got damaged.  I don't work on damaged OHV, let alone OHC cylinder heads. I neither understand or work on fuel injection. Computer controlled vehicles get scrapped, not repaired, unless the engine can accept a carburetor and points distributor.

Trust me, I'm a dinosaur. The 700r4 in my K1500 lost 3rd and 4th, it is now a farm only truck. My sat for the last 21 years 1949 Dodge, and sat for the last 4 years 1969 Dodge trucks are going back in service to replace the 1992 Silverado. They make sense, it does not.

FYI, headlights are always measured off the lens size, never the bucket size.  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #33 - 10/08/15 at 13:46:50

see WD, there you go again speaking LATIN. I was lost until you said:

Quote:
FYI, headlights are always measured off the lens size, never the bucket size.

that I understood  Cheesy

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #34 - 10/08/15 at 21:31:26

Dave wrote on 10/08/15 at 03:18:47:
Albert Verdugo wrote on 10/07/15 at 23:05:56:
And what about a headlight switch?

Does anyone had made a switch to turn on and off the headlight (after turning the key CCW)?

Huh

What would be the purpose in turning the headlight ON when the bike is turned OFF?  You can accomplish almost the same thing by turning the ignition switch to ON....then turning the STOP switch on the right handlebar to kill the ignition circuit.

Adding a switch to turn the headlight off when the bike is running is easy - the switch could be added to the ground wire from the headlight....that way it would be able to turn off both the low/high beams with a single switch.

In another thread....we are discussing the fact that the charging system in our bike is always charging at full capacity, and the regulator/rectifier has to bleed off any power that is not being used by the bike.  Therefore the charging system is designed to use up most of the available power, with just a bit extra for battery charging.  When the battery is charged any excess power is burned off by the regulator as heat.

If you turn your headlight off while riding you are not saving any electrical power - you are just diverting it to the regulator to be burned off as heat.....we don't know how much extra power the regulator can burn off and not overheat.  

If you goal is to get some electrical power for running heated gear when it is cold, I don't think anybody believes it is a good idea to ride with the headlight turned off - you need to be as visible as possible and folks thees days expect to see a headlight/running light on any vehicle that is in motion.  The 2004 and later bikes are wired so the headlight turns off when the starter switch is engaged so the full battery power can be diverted to the starter and ignition system.

In my Suzuki 40 when I turn the switch the headlight is always on. The kill switch just turn of the engine but not the lights. I know the key has 3 positions. Sometimes y just want to turn the bike off but leave the key. Check the lights. Whatever i always have done with my other motorcycles.

in a few words, what i want is to turn the light of when the switch is on.

BTW I always ride with the headlight on of course, even in my car in the city. But to me it feels weird that the instant I put the key in ON the headlight is turned on. Smiley

« Last Edit: 10/09/15 at 16:39:18 by Albert Verdugo »  
  IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #35 - 10/10/15 at 12:36:46

JutMan wrote on 10/01/15 at 04:56:52:
This is an interesting options with those side mounts.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/7-1-2-inch-satin-black-modern-british-style-hea...

I have the 7 1/2 inch headlight that Jutman pointed out on the first page of this thread from Dime city. Very happy with it. I have the small bulb set up as a daytime running light and installed a simple waterproof toggle switch from autozone for the main light.

image_321.jpg

2000 S40 RYCA conversion built in 2011.
  IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #36 - 10/10/15 at 12:37:38

Pic

image_322.jpg

IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #37 - 10/10/15 at 12:38:25

pic

image_323.jpg

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #38 - 10/10/15 at 17:06:15

copterdoc wrote on 10/10/15 at 12:38:25:
pic

nice setup copterdoc. Do you have a pic straight-on, level with headlight ?

IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #39 - 10/11/15 at 06:02:17

Here ya go.

image_324.jpg

IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #40 - 10/11/15 at 06:02:59

Another

image_325.jpg

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #41 - 10/11/15 at 07:41:31

yeah, that's it.

These headlights "FIT" the look of our bikes better than stock.

IP Logged
RB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 10/11/15 at 09:45:54

Greetings
My solution is shown in the attached pic.  
The headlight and brackets from DCC and the turn signals are from a local supplier KAPSCO moto.  The headlight is bright and has lots of room inside to hide wiring.  It was plug an play on my bike.
Good luck with it!!

IMG_20151011_123950.jpg
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #43 - 10/11/15 at 09:58:48

What size and model # headlight? Are the brackets heavy duty enough? Any vibration from the brackets?

I'm looking to swap mine to a 7" but I can't find a decent looking chrome light that I like. I'm glad you mentioned the room inside. I was a little leery of buying aftermarket because I didn't know how much space was inside.

As long as the headlight uses an H4 bulb, I won't have to do any changes to the headlight plug, right?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
RB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 10/11/15 at 13:45:34

No changes required for the wiring harness (for my install H4) and the DCC parts I used are;
1. 66-3590 7" Gloss Black Modern British Style Headlight Assembly
2. 66-35850  Chrome Headlight Mounting Brackets

This stuff is more than heavy duty enough.  (No Vibration)
I drilled the brackets to accept some turn signal mounts and I think the whole package works great and looks good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight Swap Options ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.