Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turn signals (Read 239 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Re: Turn signals
Reply #15 - 09/30/15 at 06:27:40

Dave, not to belabor the point...but a 27 watt 1156 bulb in a cheap Chinese plastichrome housing is no less effective than if it is in a cast metal housing.

On LEDs, I can agree that lumens vs brightness vs 360 degree vs 45 degree projection....all make for a different output.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 09/30/15 at 07:16:26

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 09/30/15 at 06:27:40:
Dave, not to belabor the point...but a 27 watt 1156 bulb in a cheap Chinese plastichrome housing is no less effective than if it is in a cast metal housing.

I have no problem discussing this at length....I believe it is important that folks are safe, and are getting lights that help to keep them safe.

Buying an aftermarket light that is similar in design and uses an 1157 bulb (or 1156 for single element) is most likely going to be a good light and visible in the daytime.  I think it is important that the bulb is oriented with the end facing the traffic - and that is has a good reflector to focus the light.

My first attempt at a smaller turn signal looked like the photo below.  It was bought from Lockhart Phillips and it has an 18W bulb that is mounted sideways, and there is no reflector.  It was very dim in daylight....you could see it blinking if you were looking at it.

So my next attempt was to spend $ 35 each and buy an LED turn signal that was reported to be bright.  It was purchased from Lockhart Phillips....and was nowhere nearly bright enough for daylight use.  Yes....you could see it flashing if you were looking at it - but it was not as visible as the stock turn signal if you were looking past the light or off to the side a bit (like drivers in cars will be doing).  So I sent them back.

I finally resolved my turn signal issue by taking the lights in the first photo, and installing a pair of 1.5 Watt LED's in each turn signal housing.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-wired-bolts/plm-series-wired-one...

This is the stock turn signal socket and light.  (Notice the orientation of the bulb and the lack of a reflector....the light just isn't directed to where the light will be effective).

This is the stock housing with a stainless metal mounting plate I cut, along with 2 of the LED lights.

This is the light housing with the LED's mounted and wired.

I really believe it is important that bikers understand that their lives depend on the brightness and visibility of their brake lights and turn signals.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #17 - 09/30/15 at 07:24:33

I agree with you Dave. I cannot understand why it's okay to remove or convert to smaller lights, then complain that cagers cannot see us. It baffles me.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #18 - 09/30/15 at 12:36:59

I have converted several of the less than desirable lights I purchased into very bright LEDs using a similar method. I have a dozen or so of those single LED units like you used...in 1 watt, 3 watt and 5 watt ratings.

I also agree that ANY light that can possibly be oriented so that the bulb faces traffic is the most desirable configuration. Even the "side mounted" LEDs with the standard 1156 bottom end do not reflect anywhere near as well as a glass bulb, and if there is no reflector....they are about useless.

Later tonight or tomorrow morning I will post pics of the lights I have successfully converted. Wattage/luminosity ratings will have to wait until my photometer shows up in the mail next week.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 09/30/15 at 13:38:22

Here is a crappy video I made (I don't have much of any video ability or equipment)....it shows the difference in brightness from the rear turn signals with the single 18 Watt filament bulb compared to the converted lights on the front that had a pair of 1.5 Watt LED's installed.

View My Video

I did convert them all and have been using them for 2 years.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #20 - 09/30/15 at 20:27:48

SnapOn_rings1.jpg

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #21 - 10/01/15 at 00:43:23

I have not seen those types of lights used in the real world yet, but I can tell you from experience that the 5050 Surface Mounted Device type LEDs that are used in these ring lights are very bright. They are often called "tri-chip" LEDs because they are actually 3 led chips in each single 5mm x 5mm lights (hence the name 5050). It is difficult to look at one of these directly as they can hurt your eyes a bit.

I wouldnt go so far as to say that they are "daylight visible", but they are certainly bright enough to both add accent lighting and make the bike more visible from a distance. I would NOT count on them as the sole turn signal for the bike.

I have a single 5050 SMD LED mounted to the top edge of my computer monitor (in blue) and it lights up not just my keyboard, but my entire desk.

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 10/01/15 at 14:05:55

Sorry guys, I was out of action for a bit. The need would to replace a stock lamp housing due to "failure." What I mean by failure is....
I bought the bike used and someone used jb weld to keep the bullet styled plastic lens bell on the stem. Worked fine until.... I knocked it off backing out of the garage. Lol. I bought an oem one that should be here soon, although I distain the plastic!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #23 - 10/01/15 at 15:05:00

On a $25,000 Harley Super...sure, I wouldnt want plasti-chrome on it either. On my $1,100 savage....as long as the finish looks nice I have no issues with plastic.

The "vent covers" shown here are chromed ABS...and it matches up with the metal chrome of the battery box cover quite nicely.

battery_cover_mod2_002.jpg

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/01/15 at 16:04:41

When I was looking for my first bike I backed away from a yamaha star 250 because of the ugly and bulgy plastic air intake covers. The 650 is much nicer looking and so much more fun to ride!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #25 - 12/18/15 at 09:56:45

JutMan wrote on 09/29/15 at 12:51:18:
For the rear, i removed ( knocked out ) the small pin that was at the base of the attachment point on the original lights.  Then I used a dremel tool the get rid of the bit of weld.  They used a tree nut ( bent the tabs down ) to screw the lights into.

JutMan where did you find those 12m Tee Nuts?  The only ones I'm finding are online and I don't need a bag of 20+ LOL   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #26 - 12/18/15 at 12:21:57

Ace Hardware has T-Nuts.....

Lowes & Home Depot have T-Nuts too.

Kenny G

IP Logged