YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Turn signals
Reply #1 - 09/29/15 at 06:55:02

Front or back?

They most likely can be adapted....however they won't fit into the stock mounting points or plug into the stock wiring harness.

For the back you will have to drill some new holes into the chrome side rails to mount them....or mount them to a bracket on the license plate as some other folks have done.  If they are dual filament bulbs....it is not legal to use amber running lights in the rear....you can only have red running lights on the back of any vehicle or trailer in the US.  If they only have the 8 watt lights...they will not be bright enough to be seen in the daylight - the stock turn signals have 23 watt bulbs for turn signals.

Not sure what you would have to do to adapt them to the front....make some kind of bracket you could use to mount them to the forks.

You aren't going to get much of anything worthwhile for $ 15....I hate to see folks bolting on pieces that will not keep them as safe as possible - turn signals, tail lights and brake lights are really important safety items.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/29/15 at 08:44:16

You can use this method to mount any signal with wires thru the bolt to the stock locations.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1137475021

WWW   IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/29/15 at 08:45:04

Thanks Dave. You saved me 15 bucks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/29/15 at 09:26:30

Do you need to replace damaged stock turns signals.....or are you going for a different look?

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #5 - 09/29/15 at 12:51:18

For my front a bought P clamps and removed the original clamps.

For the rear, i removed ( knocked out ) the small pin that was at the base of the attachment point on the original lights.  Then I used a dremel tool the get rid of the bit of weld.  They used a tree nut ( bent the tabs down ) to screw the lights into.

M12_tee_nut_furniture_nut_634495898350388561_1.JPG

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #6 - 09/29/15 at 13:02:11

Front

WP_20150719_005.jpg

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #7 - 09/29/15 at 13:02:36

Rear

WP_20150719_003.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 09/29/15 at 20:46:00

I actually have a set of those that I got when I was doing the "I need MORE light!" experiments. They are better than most of their peers. They are chrome plated steel and the plating looks good, and have a gasket between the lens and the case plus a gasket/anti vibration pad between the light and the mounting surface. I have a very similar pair with different lenses that bolt directly to my rear fender as part of a turn signal relocate plan. Mine are made for 1156 bulbs so they are one wire though.

I eventually converted them to 2 watt LED daytime running lights for the front of the Honda. It's a pretty solid unit.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #9 - 09/29/15 at 20:51:02

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 09/29/15 at 20:46:00:
I actually have a set of those that I got when I was doing the "I need MORE light!" experiments. They are better than most of their peers. They are chrome plated steel and the plating looks good, and have a gasket between the lens and the case plus a gasket/anti vibration pad between the light and the mounting surface. I have a very similar pair with different lenses that bolt directly to my rear fender as part of a turn signal relocate plan. Mine are made for 1156 bulbs so they are one wire though.

Is there any issue with wiring both filaments to hot and a single ground?

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 09/29/15 at 21:03:21

So far as i know, on a dual filament 1157 bulb, when one filament is on, the other is off. This may not be true in all applications, but that is the way they work when used as signals on my Honda. I cant recall if the lower watt filament stays on in the back brake light application.

So, to answer your question....you want to "hot up" both the 8 watt filament and the 27 watt filament at the same time, all the time, yes? Seems like a waste of power. The 1156 and 1157's cost virtually the same, so I would just hook up the brighter filament an cut the other wire off and tuck it.
Electrically speaking, no...there is no reason you cant do that...but they will draw a max of 35 watts each (yikes) and you may burn the lenses. These are not huge light assemblies, and the bulb takes up much of the interior room.

I can post a pick of one sitting next to say.....a quarter and a pack of smokes so you can see what you are dealing with in size.

As I said...I switched out the original bulbs for LED's and have no heat worries.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 09/29/15 at 21:15:47

I noticed a Honda minivan in a turn lane with the signals blinking that way. When one was on, the other was off. That may just be Honda minivans though.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 09/29/15 at 21:26:59

Note to Dave: I can appreciate the caution. I have bought at least 6 different sets of aftermarket turn signals to do experiments with and some of them are just downright crappy. This particular set is all steel and with the exception of one of the bulb sockets being off-center (easy fix), they are heavy and come with a vibration/seal at the mounting point and are water tight. Putting 1.8 - 2 watt red LED bulbs in them make them easily daylight visible.

Same company, different lens style..

new_running_lights.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #13 - 09/29/15 at 21:31:32

JohnnyBlade, if I may ask....are you ADDING these lights to the existing system or looking to replace your current lights?

I only ask because our bikes do not have a lot of "power to spare" when it comes to the generator (magneto), and adding that much additional wattage would be troublesome.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/30/15 at 03:25:49

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 09/29/15 at 21:26:59:
Note to Dave: I can appreciate the caution. I have bought at least 6 different sets of aftermarket turn signals to do experiments with and some of them are just downright crappy.

I provide this caution, as I have been on group rides in the daylight and seen a lot of aftermarket and stock turn signals on bikes.  Some of the aftermarket turns signals folks put on their bikes are absolutely worthless in daylight or direct sunlight.  If you are looking directly at the light you may be able to see that it is flashing - but they are not bright enough to get the attention of a distracted driver.  Same thing for some aftermarket brake lights (especially cheap LED lights)....the brake light just doesn't attract attention.  The really good lights just can't be made for $ 15.......you most likely will have to spend quite a bit more to get a light that protects you as well as the stock DOT approved lights do.

I also feel the same way about the owners of cars and truck that put the smoked covers over their turn signals and brake lights.....it really cuts down on the amount of light that comes out and makes the lights harder to see.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:25:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.