Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
JB Weld on electrical repairs (Read 48 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
JB Weld on electrical repairs
09/28/15 at 03:33:08

I have a friend that is working on an old car, and it has a circuit board that holds relays and the voltage regulator.  Some of the "goo" that was on the bottom of the circuit board had decomposed, so he cleaned it up and placed JB Weld in the cavity.....it is very slow to set and leveled out and did a nice job repairing the hole.  He then painted it black to match the original finish.

When he got the car back together and running.....the battery was boiling out all the water.  A test showed the charging system was putting 17 volts to the battery.  He had the voltage regulator checked and it was OK....and the alternator was OK....and all the wires were OK.  What to try next?

It turns out that the JB Weld is just a bit conductive, and was carrying current over to the field coil wire and making the alternator charge at full capacity......all the time!  While the JB Weld might not be conductive enough to be a dead short - it is conductive enough to carry some voltage and current, and can have negative effects on circuits that are voltage sensitive.

Put this information in the back of you head......just in case you are ever tempted to use JB Weld in an electrical circuit repair.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: JB Weld on electrical repairs
Reply #1 - 09/28/15 at 04:47:52

Good to know, as I am a big fan of JB Weld.
Never thought of using it on a circuit board though.  That's a bit of over kill.  
I always used regular 2 part epoxy, which is not conductive, and you can see what you are doing.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/28/15 at 05:09:40

Yep, I use JB Weld a lot as well.  It is very strong when used properly and allowed to cure.  The slow cure time allows it to get much stronger than the fast cure epoxies....however you have to be aware that it can flow/run for a very long time after it is mixed.  The package directions do say that you can mix it and let it get stiff for a while before applying it.

The little Ninja 250 I have had a blown engine, and I bought a used engine from a crashed bike to use.  The motor mount in the head had the front broken out - so I cleaned the area really well and roughed it up a bit with a carbide burr.  I applied heat shrink tubing to the long bolt and laid it in the motor mount, and then applied the JB Weld on the mount and over the bolt....I used thin cardboard and tape to make sides to control how much the JB Weld could flow.  After the JB Weld had cured 24 hours I removed the cardboard, then pulled the bolt out of the heat shrink tubing - and I used needle nose pliers to grab the end of the heat shrink tubing and twisted it out of the hole...the smooth surface of the tubing prevented the JB Weld from getting any good adhesion to the rubber tubing.  I then ground and sanded the JB Weld to an acceptable shape and painted it black.  It has been holding up for the last 3,000 miles....I think it is gonna' work just fine....sure beats having to replace the cylinder head!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/28/15 at 12:52:32

I never woulda thought about it. Bear trap identified  and avoided. Thanks.  I bought some high temp epoxy, like the stuff you see the
Not serviceable
Electronic stuff encased in. Failed to save the engine, but, oooh well.
I use it in places where the Devcon five minute or JB don't feel right.

I patched a sealing surface on a frac pump with JB weld. All our frac trucks were on jobs or down fluid ends removed and in a machine shop, being repaired. I looked at the washed out spot, told the boss I could fix it, cleaned it up, put the JB in, built dams and supports, hung a drop light in it, and nobody messed with it. I figure they figured itd fail without them messing with it. Frac pumps run for hours and put up pressure sufficient to fracture the formation, pumping in a mix of sand and chemicals, the sand props the cracks open, allowing for the flow of oil from the formation, back to the casing, pump, all that ,,
And, it held up. Boss never took me aside and said thanks. Co-workers  still a buncha jerks... I never liked working for big companies. Too much favoritism, not near enough merit based decision making.. When oil crashed, layoffs came, they kept the do nothing butt kissers. And, eventually Eddie Childs baby, the Western company, was gone.

If you don't have some JB quickset, might consider it. And Devcon five  minute, in the syringe, too expensive and it's not as easy to adjust the ratio. Sometimes I want it hot, fast and hard, ( Hmmm, in my head, that didn't sound like it looks ) and, some applications I want it to not crack readily, a slower set, I think, leaves a cured lump that's not so rigid. So, I get the bottles.

The local auto glass shop has some nylon sticks they push the black goo they use with. Get a couple, shape the ends up, stir , apply, wipe, what don't wipe, peels. I've got two, one I've had about thirty five years..  Don't use cardboard, it soaks stuff out of the epoxy.. What, IDK, but why risk it? A clipboard, once it's got a coat on it, piece of plexiglass , stuff it behind the tool box..

YeAh, I don't feel good enough to get out, so, you're being punished.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/28/15 at 13:55:31

This is 1 lesson I learned along time ago.
Don't use random substances with electrical components.
A trace amount of electricity is all it takes.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:27:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › JB Weld on electrical repairs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.