Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
- DYNA Muffler adapter ??? (Read 459 times)
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: - DYNA Muffler adapter ???
Reply #15 - 10/11/15 at 08:09:09

well, what I thought was good on the Idle Air/Fuel mix plug MOD didn't work out.

Still a backfire on DECEL and during shifting. I can't seem to find the sweet spot on this adjustment. There's a noticeable difference with adjustments, some worse, some better, but none that resolves the backfire completely.

I'm not one to go in and change a bunch of chit and then piss and moan about it not being fixed. So I like to take things one at a time. These mikuni carbs aren't like the old school honda carbs I'm used to messin' with, these only have one adjustment, honda has everything on the outside.

MOD's thus far:
1. DYNA muffler swap.
2. Idle Air/Fuel mix plug MOD. (3/4 turn CCW from stock position when plug was removed)
3. ????

what's next?

« Last Edit: 10/11/15 at 09:24:35 by DesertRat »  

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 10/11/15 at 09:52:37

Don't tune for "no backfire". You'll never get rid of it. Tune for best performance.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 10/11/15 at 10:11:41

I posted this in another thread....but I will repeat it here so I don't have to type it all again.  It was a response to a fellow who said his bike backfires when the "snaps the throttle closed"....and it applies to anyone who allows the throttle to close completely while riding.

"This is not the motorcycle that you should be "snapping the gas off", as it is certain to make noise when you do that.  Carb jetting might make it a bit better - but it will not stop it from happening.  You need to adjust your riding style to suit the big, primitive single with a carb.....this is not a modern, fuel injected motorcycle - it is a primitive beast.

When you let the throttle snap closed, you have created a high engine vacuum that pulls a lot of air past the butterfly and slide - but the main and needle jets are closed off....only the idle circuit is providing fuel.  The fuel mixture goes very lean as a result, and the spark plug can not ignite the mixture in the cylinder - but when the lean mixture builds up in the exhaust it can ignite and make the popping and banging sounds.  If you jet to eliminate the noise when coasting - the engine will be running too rich when at a normal idle.

When you shift gears you should gently roll the throttle off - but stop just a bit short of being all the way closed.  Same thing when you are coasting down a hill or slowing down in traffic - roll the throttle off just far enough to slow down - but not all the way closed or the noise will begin."

It is all part of being a "good" rider - you need to adapt your style to suit the motorcycle and it's quirks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #18 - 10/11/15 at 13:31:59

Im wondering if these bikes backfire straight off the showroom floor?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #19 - 10/11/15 at 14:21:37

Rat,

Mine backfired when I shut the engine down after driving the bike off of the delivery truck the day I received my S40.

Kenny G

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #20 - 10/11/15 at 14:39:30

Interesting Kenny. Mine "farts" when shut off. But the backfire is kinda annoying during DECEL and shifting.

Gonna try to be a "good" rider as Dave suggested.  Wink

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #21 - 10/11/15 at 17:32:53

Rat,

You will be able to improve the after firing with tuning and some gentle use of the throttle, but that is about as far as you can go.

I spent a lot of time experimenting with various springs in the Transient Enrichment Valve. And when ever I would completely eliminate the after firing I had trouble with the RPMs dipping too low during deceleration. Once the engine stalled when I was downshifting in a really tight corner and that can be dangerous.

One thing I have concluded is to make sure your idle speed is fast enough. When the idle speed is on the slow side you will increase the after firing.
Kenny G

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #22 - 10/11/15 at 18:36:57

Kenny G wrote on 10/11/15 at 17:32:53:
One thing I have concluded is to make sure your idle speed is fast enough. When the idle speed is on the slow side you will increase the after firing.
Kenny G

is there a way to check idle rpm without spending a fortune?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 10/11/15 at 18:55:40

Decel should rumble growl and occasionally pop some.
If it's backfiring during shifting, either you've got a leak, throttle control needs considered or maybe you should get the thing shifted and back on the gas. I'm not there to see.
From second on up it'll take gear shifts without touching the clutch, just open palm, slap the gas off with a quick lift on the toe and roll on the gas. It'll go right back down, too. Just don't do second to first, the RPM,jump is just more than I could ever master. Tried about six times, didn't jerk the crap out of it twice,, gave up on that before I hurt something.
Describe backfire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #24 - 10/11/15 at 20:09:56

Rat,

Before I had a tachometer I just did it by ear. There are videos on here that will give you an idea what the speed should sound like.

Also, if you have a smart phone there is a way to check RPM, but you will have to ask someone a whole lot younger than me how to do it.

Kenny G

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #25 - 10/11/15 at 20:49:34

Kenny G wrote on 10/11/15 at 20:09:56:
Rat,

Before I had a tachometer I just did it by ear. There are videos on here that will give you an idea what the speed should sound like.

Also, if you have a smart phone there is a way to check RPM, but you will have to ask someone a whole lot younger than me how to do it.

Kenny G

Hey Kenny,

Thanks for the smart phone idea.
Here's a link to the iPhone App that works off audio from engines:

http://www.tunelab-world.com/tach

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #26 - 10/28/15 at 10:37:04

put the bike in first gear
see what speed it Idles at on a FLAT section od road or parking lot, it should be about 9-10 MPH with no throttle and clutch fully engaged
no fuss, no muss, no moola

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #27 - 10/28/15 at 12:26:47

There's also some videos on YouTube that show the proper idle speed. You can tune your idle by ear with those.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #28 - 10/28/15 at 15:08:50

One thing I've noticed about my bike is that when you set the idle a little high (no, I don't know what that means...lol) the backfire on decal and between shifts pretty much disappears...
If I roll in to shut the bike off I drop the idle speed and it won't backfire...don't know why but it works me me!

Anyone have any idea why this is so? I'm always fiddling with idle speed so it's just something I do now...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 10/28/15 at 17:52:53

Bubba wrote on 10/28/15 at 15:08:50:
One thing I've noticed about my bike is that when you set the idle a little high (no, I don't know what that means...lol) the backfire on decal and between shifts pretty much disappears...
If I roll in to shut the bike off I drop the idle speed and it won't backfire...don't know why but it works me me!

Anyone have any idea why this is so? I'm always fiddling with idle speed so it's just something I do now...

Yes.......when you increase the idle speed you are opening up the throttle and allowing more fuel/air into the engine - so when you close the throttle between shifts there is more fuel available to correct for the lean condition that exists when the slide drops and closes off the jet needle and main jet.  You can accomplish the same thing by holding the throttle just slightly open when you shift or slow down - a more thorough explanation follows:

The fuel mixture goes really lean when the throttle is closed and the engine is either slowing down between shifts - or you are slowing down and have the throttle fully closed.  There is a high engine vacuum - but with the throttle closed and the slide down...the only fuel that is getting to the engine is coming from the idle circuit....and that is not enough fuel to allow the spark plug to ignite the mixture.  So the fuel/air in the cylinder is not ignited and it just builds up in the exhaust....and eventually the mixture reaches a high enough temperature in the hot exhaust pipe that it spontaneously ignites and makes a bang.

Suzuki tried to cure the problem with the TEV (Throttle Enrichment Valve) which is supposed to allow more fuel to flow during those high vacuum events - but it doesn't seem to work well with the E10 fuel.  Maybe it works OK for folks who can still find pure gasoline.  Some folks have fiddled with the spring in the TEV and claim to have made things better - but I don't feel it is a issue with the TEV not operating soon enough - I believe it just doesn't add enough E10 fuel.

There are folks who put in larger pilot jets and open the idle mixture screw, and this helps compensate for the lean mixture when decelerating.....at the expense of an overly rich mixture when the bike is idling or at low throttle settings.  Fuel mileage can suffer considerably, and the engine can belch black smoke when idling, and the engine can get loaded up with carbon.

You really can make a big difference in the amount of backfire by how you use your right hand.  When you shift gears just roll the throttle slightly back and don't let it close completely between shifts.  When coasting just open the throttle a tiny bit until the backfire goes away - but not so much that the bike is accelerating....just enough that the slide rises and allows more fuel into the engine.

For the "bang" after you turn the ignition off....the engine is still pulling air through the carb when it is spinning to a stop - and it is still picking up fuel as it passes through the carb.  Since the spark plug doesn't ignite the fuel mixture when the ignition is turned off - the unburned fuel mixture is pumped into the exhaust.  Once the fuel/air hits the hot exhaust system the temperature can reach the "flash point", and the fuel mixture can be ignited.  When you have a high idle speed you pump more fuel/air into the exhaust system prior to the engine coming to rest.....with a slower speed there is less fuel/air pumped into the exhaust.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › - DYNA Muffler adapter ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.