Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Compression at 72psi after testing at 180 last wee (Read 1013 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Compression at 72psi after testing at 180 last
Reply #60 - 10/02/15 at 03:55:45

The idle mixture screws can be very hard to remove....and there is very little slot in the brass head to get a good grip with a screwdriver.  Originally these screws are easy to remove - but the aluminum corrodes and the tiny threads get distorted, and it can be a real problem to get the screw out with that tiny soft brass slot.  Often you have to drill the darn thing, use an easy out, then clean up the threads with a tap, then install a new screw (and O-ring while you are at it).

I just drilled out a plug and removed the screw from a 2002 bike last night and it came out real easy....the one from the theft recovery bike was much harder.

If you want to mail me that spare carb.....I can take it apart for you and see if there is anything wrong with it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #61 - 10/02/15 at 10:33:18

I'm curious about what exactly is busted that caused the need for a replacement carb.
I really want to applaud this young ladys grit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #62 - 10/02/15 at 11:48:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/02/15 at 10:33:18:
I'm curious about what exactly is busted that caused the need for a replacement carb.
I really want to applaud this young ladys grit.

I'm with Justin on this one. I KNOW I have some carb issues/rough running and will have to take it off the bike and rebuild/clean/jet it over the winter...but I am dreading it. Kudos to jj for diving in and doing it!

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 10/02/15 at 12:27:36

Thanks.
Haven't been able to work on the bike today bc of all the rain but I think I can answer your question @justin_o_guy2. When he showed me the piece it looked like a screw and he told me it was stripped. I almost thought it was the floater needle on first glance. When we went to price it online the piece itself was about 200 and was listed very near the top.
I went back to the carb assembly on bikebanditz and I'm pretty sure it was part of the diaphragm assembly, if that helps.
I can mail you the part but I'll wait to see how the current one runs and if I'll need to take it off for a cleaning. I will prob swap out the idle mix screws.
Thanks for the help and encouragement.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #64 - 10/02/15 at 13:02:47

jjthejetplane wrote on 10/02/15 at 12:27:36:
When he showed me the piece it looked like a screw and he told me it was stripped. I almost thought it was the floater needle on first glance. When we went to price it online the piece itself was about 200 and was listed very near the top.
I went back to the carb assembly on bikebanditz and I'm pretty sure it was part of the diaphragm assembly, if that helps.

Took me a moment to decipher that.  The first couple of times I read it, I was thinking about the diaphragm for the throttle enrichment valve. That didn't make sense, though.  I had to look at a parts fiche to realize what screws you're talking about.  They are the teeny tiny phillips ones at the bottom of the slide assembly.  So your mechanic didn't spray any penetrating oil and stripped the screws, then figured it was easier to have you buy a whole other carb.  

But let's think positive.  We can work with that!  With a proper easy out (I prefer pro-grabit) you can burnish and remove the stripped screws by hand.  It would, however, require an extended T-handle (like what would be used to tap threads) to reach down the hole.  I can't think of a way you would do that with a drill.

This is what I'm thinking of:

To be honest, I don't think removing that plate for the purpose of cleaning would have made much difference.  If it were my bike,  I would clean the carburetor that is off of the bike as thoroughly as possible.  Then put that one on and see if it runs.  That plate shouldn't be a big deal unless you get into tuning and adjusting needle height.

On another topic:  So the bike has been sitting for over a year, and we're worried about a gaswashed cylinder... What does the oil look like?  Can you stand the bike up and check the level?  No need to jump right into changing it, but I thought it was worth a peek.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #65 - 10/03/15 at 15:07:02

The Harbor Freight handheld impact came with a long, skinny Philips that did those screws
Down There,,
IF he Didn't get either one out, great. I don't think it's a big deal.
That carb has jets it ran on, an idle air screw that's Not Screwed.
I'd clean it up, blow through every little hole you can see. Some carb cleaners are hard on rubber, protect the diaphragm.
IF he messed up and got one out, stripped the other, so what?
You have two carbs. Use the body that has the healthy air mix screw and proven, at least good enough to run, jets. Used the slide and diaphragm from the other one, if you need to and can.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #66 - 10/04/15 at 18:09:45

Air, fire, fluid.... make sure your bike is getting all three...

Sometimes amounts don't matter with a single.

If your air cleaner is good...no worries
If your carb is getting gas...no worries
If your bike turns over...no worries

Now that said..
Test your carb for flow... pull the line going in... turn the petc0ck... fuel going to carb? good
Put a small drain hose on the bottom of your carb "the very bottom!"  
With the petc0ck in the on position, loosen the carb bowl screw... got gas? good
And of course... if you turn the key and it, "the starter" turns over.. that's good, however, you might have to test the voltage on your battery as you turn it over, to insure that you have enough start voltage to fire off the gas.
Now if it doesn't start or "chug" like it wants to start, you can pull the "fuel enrichment handle" or "choke" (on this bike it is not a real choke as it doesn't move a butterfly valve to cut off air)
If it still does not start after about three tries, stop.... (about 10-15 seconds each)
Tap your float bowl with a screw driver handle pretty soundly (float could be stuck) try again
If it does not start after about five tries (total, twice after you whack the bowl).... I would pull the float bowl and see if your float needle is stuck.
Some would say before pulling the bowl to squirt some start fluid into your carb intake... if you want, do that.. and if it chugs a couple of seconds.. good.. it proves that it will run (but since it ran before.. it should)
Keep that air/fuel mix screw at 1.5 turns, it will run like that... you just want to get this thing started and chugging.

One last thing... sounds like you are getting the hang of ready and trying to fix your baby.... GOOD...
It is a single.. single everything.... you can eliminate things easily...

I personally think the carb change was a bad thing... can you "rebuild" the old one? buy a kit and clean it up, if it looks clean.. it probably wasn't the problem, pull the jets, spray a lot of cleaner.. put it back together and back on the bike... with the air/fuel mix screw 1.5 out.....

LOL, I wish I was closer.... I like a puzzle... and i'm kind of a mizer... so I fix it with what I got.

The above is what I would do... even if I had "known" variables.... start back at square one yourself... then you KNOW... it has been covered.

Good luck, should you accept this mission, you will save your world... this message will not self distruct in five seconds...but man it would be kewl if it did!  Cheesy Roll Eyes Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #67 - 10/04/15 at 21:20:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/03/15 at 15:07:02:
The Harbor Freight handheld impact came with a long, skinny Philips that did those screws
Down There,,
IF he Didn't get either one out, great. I don't think it's a big deal.
That carb has jets it ran on, an idle air screw that's Not Screwed.
I'd clean it up, blow through every little hole you can see. Some carb cleaners are hard on rubber, protect the diaphragm.

IF he messed up and got one out, stripped the other, so what?
You have two carbs. Use the body that has the healthy air mix screw and proven, at least good enough to run, jets.

Used the slide and diaphragm from the other one, if you need to and can.

You have two carbs,, you can win.
Read my post.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 10/05/15 at 07:31:26

Hello again,

There is finally a break in the rain so I am going to attempt to get her started. I will report bk in a bit on oil levels, float bowl, etc. I did a lot of digging through the "archives" over the rainy weekend and found some helpful carb cleaning posts. I was unable to procure transmission fluid due to lack of visible neighbors but i did pick up some pb blaster( i know it's not highly recommended but figured it'd due for the time being) and some starting fluid spray.
I have gumout carb cleaner and assortment of tools, power cordless screwdriver w bits, needle nose pliers, and marine oil pads to catch any mess.
Am i missing anything?
Also, I have awesome pics from the forum posts but does anyone have a link to or pics of the Clymer's for my carb?

Please and thanks.

Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #69 - 10/05/15 at 07:55:23

jjthejetplane wrote on 10/05/15 at 07:31:26:
Also, I have awesome pics from the forum posts but does anyone have a link to or pics of the Clymer's for my carb?

Carb specs are in the tech section index (link below)

scroll down to fuel intake
then click on carb specs

WWW   IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 10/05/15 at 08:59:48

Checked the oil. It is black and in the lower range but looks fine. Just tried to start the bike at 1.5 turns out with the hoses capped, choke out. It made a sick sound, sputtering like a car. I shut if off completely. Turned it back on, tested my horn and lights. Horn is strong, blinkers ok. Tried her again, sputtered and then clicking.
Wtf

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 10/05/15 at 09:12:31

Oil.

IMG_20151005_121134.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #72 - 10/05/15 at 10:20:36

So in the year that he's had it, he has not changed the oil once.   Angry

clicking usually happens when the battery is low, charge it.

Also can happen if the starter stalls which can happen if the decomp solenoid is out of adjustment.

WWW   IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 10/05/15 at 11:14:26

Nope. No oil change.
I will do that next.
I am having issue disconnecting the wiring under the gas tank. It was in the position that it's in now when i went to pull it off (not completely seated). There are marks just inside the box like it was pried open. Would a short here cause an issue?

Figured the batt was low bc I'm familiar w the clicking but the horn stayed strong. My ques is is there a reason why my batteries keep dying?
Will post furtger pics but def had a wiring issues on the right side terminal. Had to cut the wire and wrap it around to get a charge. I noticed on my first visit to the garage that the wiring was frayed and guessed correctly that it would prob be done for the next time i saw it. I ussd the battery terminal repair cutters (not a copyrighted name) to repair it. I'm hoping this is not the issue. I will see if i can find a truck and haul it over to autozone to have everything tested.
Also, noticed the solenoid wasn't covered at all and the o ring around my speedo cable is a bit torn.

Thanks for the help @verslagen and @justin and everyone else. I really appreciate it

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 10/05/15 at 11:16:33

Wiring connect

IMG_20151005_133037.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:20:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Compression at 72psi after testing at 180 last wee

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.