Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Compression at 72psi after testing at 180 last wee (Read 1013 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Compression at 72psi after testing at 180 last
Reply #15 - 09/26/15 at 11:26:37

I appreciate the advice and replies. I knew about the backfiring and didnt consider it an issue worth immediate work. The stalling scared me and I had to leave for school. I left it. I know the basics about the bike but yes, i have been too afraid to work on it myself. It is my most prized possession. I didnt want to mess it up. Irony.  The "mechanic" has 30yrs experience but has never seen nor touched a big single. I spent the yr working and saving for all of the parts. I finally created an account out of exasperation but have been reading since my first savage purchase in 2010. I will get back with updates. Having it moved to a shop, awaiting prognosis. I will buy tools and attempt it myself bc there is no way i can do a worse job especially since i actually care what happens to it. Please be patient with me on the updates. Thanks

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #16 - 09/26/15 at 11:41:28

You will find all of the help here that you could possibly need...of that, I am certain. As for patience, I apologize if my (or anyone else's) comment seemed to show a lack of patience or understanding. Most of us have been where you are to one degree or another. Together, we WILL get you back up and running Smiley

Some of us, myself included, can get frustrated at times. Just be sure not to disregard good advice just because it may have been delivered in what you perceive to be a harsh tone. I have made that mistake and learned from it. Information has no personality....just remember that!

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 09/26/15 at 11:55:45

I wish you'd slow down. Don't pay for any more help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 09/26/15 at 13:40:35

The engine is an old design and is easy to work on.  It's more like something from the 60's or 70's in the way it's made.  It's time proven and has very little trouble or problems and can't be pretty easily fixed.
All the weak points are well known and there are fixes for them all.

The guys on here can talk you through anything.  Just give them the information they ask for and follow their instructions completely.

Unless you are lucky enough to find someone that knows big singles, you are probably better off working on it yourself.  Give us an update when you can.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 09/26/15 at 15:09:23

Haul that thing into a shop after some hamfisted alleged mechanic manhandled created problems to find and fix and that six hundred dollars you've spent will possibly double. Unless you know enough to get them to not see you as an open wallet, you're liable to get screwed. And just because it's a dealership mechanic, meaningless.
We've seen at least two engines destroyed by Suzuki mechanics installing the oil filter backwards.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/27/15 at 17:30:17

Update:
Picked the bike up and brought it home. I did a once over and noticed a few things immediately... The raptor petcock is on but there are three hoses stivking out of my carb with the larger gray(vacuum hose) being connected to the petcock; none of the bolts on the engine have been touched in a very long time (dust and rust) so valve aadjustment was immediately ruled out as culprit, started panicking about having lost my oil seal rings (and legit crying, i digress); the battery was dead.
I will post pics tmrw when I have better light.

So, i purchased a battery and sprayed some carb cleaner down by the air filter to test my compression-didn't trust myself with oil and my spark plug..but voila! My baby started with a lottle encouragement from the choke and throttle. Alas, i have compression. She started but didn't run.
Unfortunately, I couldn't download the manual on manualmadness.com so was using basic know how and thr boatd for reference. I started thinking again about the petcock and started inspecting the wires. I couldn't find very good pics to help with this part but will try again tmrw bc thinking he installed it wrong. Almost certain since he hasn't looked at all into using the raptor petcock as a replacement. I am going to remove it and reinstall it tmrw and if that does not work i am going to attempt a carb cleaning tmrw.
I am hopeful. Got more accomplished today with the help of some curious neighbors than has been done in a year. Thank you guts for all the advice!! I will post pics tmrw. Idk what size jets i have still. I had a mikuni carb on and will have to look closer at the newer, if that helps. My mikuni carb looks like nada is wrong with it to my untrained eeye but what do i know?

Thanks again. Keep the constructive criticism coming. I want to be able to fix her myself. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 09/27/15 at 18:54:37

You'll win, but please, slow down. You've dumped six hundred in pArts,  it still need a battery?I'd recommend that, rather than dash in and report what you've done, ask, then do. If you woulda come and asked, odds are you'd be riding with over four hundred in your pocket.

What parts did your mechanic decide you needed. ?
Good that visual inspection shows he didn't go in.
It's good you get that and real good he didn't get in there.
Now, I have to ask.
What DID he do?
Did he lie to you?
What did he say he did?

Raptor doesn't have vacuum ports to poke hoses on it. Just gas in, gas out. Carb has a vac tube, supposed to go to the petcock. Now, without the vacuum petcock, it needs capped. A short piece of fuel line, golf tee, small dowel, be creative.
Two vent lines go nowhere, just come out of the carb.

See my post, looking for a mAnual, Desert Rat posted a link my Kindle loaded in seconds.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 09/27/15 at 19:02:57

I'd get the old carb back. Surely it's not gone.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 09/27/15 at 20:07:36

what jog said... slow down.  we can help.  let us know what info you need and we'll get it for you.

carb hoses...

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 09/27/15 at 20:11:58

and lets leave the criticism of the last mechanic to thumper.
you'll have to let go by his shop and let out a whooping belch of power.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 09/27/15 at 21:23:51

you're right. I just get ticked when someone sticks someone and has them  thinking the bike stinks..
Great idea, roll in, turn around, lay rubber...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 09/28/15 at 04:54:39

You need to take the motorcycle to someone that is familiar with this bike and can sort it out....and "undo" what your family mechanic has done.

Unfortunately most bike shops just aren't keen on working on the Savage and give it to their newest mechanics to "learn on".

As others have indicated, you should post your location so that we either can find a local member to help....or the local member can refer you to a competent mechanic in your area.  At this point there is just too much been "done" for you to make this a learning project for you.  It would be far better for an experienced mechanic to get it running properly again....then you can learn how to maintain it as you go along and learn on the simple things.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/28/15 at 05:34:44

Hello again,
Wanted to give a quick reply. He hasn't neen forthcoming when issues have popped up, giving me a simple "idk" when I asked how the compression could've dropped.
What he told me he's done is as gollows:
Cleaned the original carb, took it apart, notice stripped piece
Installed Carb from salvage yard
Tested bike
Cleaned New Carb
Inspected tank, advised replacement battery
Charged Battery,Installed Battery
Tested compressiom, was at apprx 180psi, advised replacement spark plug
Installed spark plug
( i suggested the petcock initially and then ordered it in spite of his advice after the compression test, also had battery tested and it was damaged)
Installed Petcock
Text messaged 5 days later that compression was at apprx 72 psi, advised replacing entire head gasket assembly or selling bike

Everything else has been me retracing his steps. Assumed the batt was damage due to overcharging bc it aas a sealed battery and did not need a ccharge. I was not present for any work besides the compression test. I can't verify anything but what I can see.
I was in the process of having it moved to the shop but aas advised to give it the old Harvard try. I am waiting to hear back from the closest mechanic I know which is in Callao, Va.
Updated my profile. I'm in Tappahannock, Va. Stranded. Miami, Fl resident.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 09/28/15 at 06:48:21

@justin_o_guy2
Can you post a link?
Can't find the post via the search option or Deserr Rat in the members and it's not in your last 25 posts.
I bought and put on a vaccuum hose cap from autozone but it's still not turning over.

144344809058324243486.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 09/28/15 at 06:54:49

Left side mikuni replacement carb with other hose

14434483848791953856812.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:18:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Compression at 72psi after testing at 180 last wee

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.