Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Compression at 72psi after testing at 180 last wee (Read 1013 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Compression at 72psi after testing at 180 last
Reply #90 - 10/05/15 at 20:14:10

With two carbs, surely there are enough parts not messed up to make one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #91 - 10/06/15 at 04:07:32

Get a slightly longer screw for the one that is stripped and put a nut on the bottom.  If I remember right, the hole goes all the way through.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #92 - 10/06/15 at 06:08:37

Oh man, I would have never thought it was that simple!  That's great, though.  Super easy to work with.  A GOOD pair of vise grips - off brand Craftsman or harbor freight ones are worthless - Irwin Original vise grips will squeeze that and let you get it off.  I, personally, like my Prograbit easyouts, and in a spot that accessible it would be just too easy with your drill.  Allen headed screws are the best replacement, as was mentioned.  I picked up flat black steel ones from my local Ace Hardware for maybe $3.  I should have got stainless; the black ones eventually rust.  A drop of blue loctite on there and they'll never back off.

All of the screws that came on this carb are notoriously soft.  They are all easily stripped if there is any binding.  Penetrating oil, a little heat, and the persuasion of some other tools should help you get everything apart.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #93 - 10/06/15 at 06:21:09

Not sure if by "stripped out".....we are talking about the JIS slot in the head being goobered up......or if it is the threads in the carb body.

Goobered up JIS slot is easy....vice grips will solve the problem in a jiffy.

Stripped out threads in the carb body.....a nut on the bottom would fix it as Steve H has indicated.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #94 - 10/06/15 at 06:42:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/05/15 at 20:14:10:
With two carbs, surely there are enough parts not messed up to make one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #95 - 10/06/15 at 12:40:54

I have to wait to get a pair of vise grips. Decided to look more into the batt wiring bc I'm considering all issues. The wire on the right side is completely severed from the metal tip. I'd cut it down and wrapped it around the clip and tucked it down in the washer w the screw. Wondering if this could be the culprit as I am on my third battery. The newest purchased last week. I was met with clicking when trying to get her started yesterday but full power on my "dash" . @verslagen1 suggested dead batt or decomp solenoid. I don't have a voltmeter and again have to wait for an autozone run.
I am trying to be certain of spark, compression, gas.
Right now, stuck on all fronts. Left rear bolt on chrome cover is too far down to jig w my wrench. So, i cannot see, let alone get to my spark plug.
I am amazed daily by the feats my mechanic accomplished.

IMG_20151006_143156.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #96 - 10/06/15 at 14:02:56

Your mechanic sucks. You're doing a better job than him. Good work.
If you have a hacksaw handy you can saw a slot in the head of that pesky screw for a flat blade screwdriver to fit. Don't reuse that screw tho. Otherwise,vise grips like they said. Be really gentle if you mount the carb in a bench vice to hold it still. It's easy to distort a carb body by overtightening in a vice. Then it truly is scrap.
Hope the bowl screws give less trouble !

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #97 - 10/06/15 at 14:19:28

Replacement ground wire was mailed this morning.  Tracking claims it will be delivered on Saturday.

Dave

« Last Edit: 10/07/15 at 12:31:35 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #98 - 10/20/15 at 10:09:46

Sorry for the long absence.
I had a death in the fam last week.
Also, it has taken about a week to remove the many stripped screws.
So, on the newer carb:
I got stuck trying to remove the screw that holds on the plate holding the valve in place.
I got frustrated and gave up before my morale was crushed entirely and went back to work on the older of the two.
The older carb:
I have removed all but the throttle (due to the stuck lower screw) and the smaller diaphragm set up on the side. My valve is scratched up pretty badly on the side. I couldn't get a clear enough pic to further illustrate. It looks like someone just went at it with the needle nose pliers. I know i have the other carb but I really do not want to have to fight with that screw. Is this an issue that needs to be addressed now? Should i replace it?
At this point, everything that I have pulled looks ok. I am intending to clean my older carb, put it on, and try to start it and then, if necessary, disassemble the newer carb.
The screw holding the valve plate in place is one reason(took a wk to get it out of the older one) but i also know that i am looking at an uphill battle removing the idle mix screw in the newer of the two.
Still, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
Patiently awaiting advice...

Jaye

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #99 - 10/20/15 at 10:29:37

Jaye, got your message. Not feeling well today, Dr appointment this afternoon. As soon as I'm feeling well enough to help, I'll call.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #100 - 10/20/15 at 11:56:11

No worries! Feel better.
I took a hammer and a flathead to that stubborn choke screw and am now prepping to soak. Auestion: looking down into my diaphragm from the top of the carb, i can see some gunk around the metal plate inside(holding the needle in place) should i renove that for cleaning? The screws are small and pretty far down. I didn't want to risk stripping them uneccessarily-or could i switch it out for my other carb's diaphragm?
Still need an answer on the scarred valve. It's scratched along the upper edges. Probably from someone fighting to remove either it or the plate screw.

Thanks,

Jaye

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #101 - 10/20/15 at 17:55:11

I hope you guys haven't all abandoned ship in my absence. I have found solutions to most of my carb issues.

Now, i have been staring at this pilpt jet screw til my eyes have blurred and I am quite positive it reads 6055. The latter two numbers are kind of marres.
I scoured the internets for confirmation that this pilot jet screw size does indeed exist. Is this wayyyy too big for my carb(this is the original carb not the CA model) and the one i was using with the intial stalling in idle issue. Would i need to remove tge spacer completely to get it running properly?
(I've been catching up on my reading.)

I dont want to start the reassemble process until i am sure. I thought to take the pilot jet screw out of the CA carb but it has absolutely no notch in the head to turn it so I cannot imagine gow i'd extract it.

Please help.

Jaye

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #102 - 10/20/15 at 18:16:23

unless someone drilled it out to be a 60, I would guess 55.

but you got two carbs, what's the other one?

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #103 - 10/20/15 at 19:02:11

Does your jet look like this? You're not reading the Mikuni logo as "60", are you?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #104 - 10/20/15 at 19:25:46

MY... what big eyes you have grandma.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:17:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Compression at 72psi after testing at 180 last wee

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.