Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Be careful what you agree to.... (Read 114 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Be careful what you agree to....
09/24/15 at 20:39:36

I am a news junkie... Microsoft site, and yahoo mostly....

Well to post to some of the stories that pop up.... you have to go to the news agency site and "log on" to let them know your "opinion".

I usually don't post because i'm a security nerd... I hate aggressive ads or cookies.

I went to sign into one of the news sites.... yeah... its one I rate along with the Examiner and the Star... but wanted to post my opinion none the less.

Until I read the EULA.... this is an excerpt from the policy

Business Insider (online site) Information Policy

b. Non-Personal Information We Automatically Collect About You

This type of information is collected anonymously through the use of technology, such as third-party cookies, web beacons,
and other similar methods. No PII is collected through these methods. Non-personal information we automatically collect may include,
but is not limited to:
•Hardware/software information (geographic location, IP address, browser type, device type, operating system, bandwidth, etc.)
•Analytics information (time spent on the Sites, number of pages viewed, referring web page, browsing information, social sharing, etc.)
•Advertising information (type of ads seen, number of times ads were served, pages where the ads were served, etc.)
•Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.

It kills me how they get away with these things....
They know where you are, who your friends are (bet if your friends knew they would be unhappy).... what modem you are using, what computer you are typing from...
Are you getting this fella's?  
LOL, I forgot what I signed onto when I joined this site.... maybe I should go back a read it a bit.
So I guess what I am saying is.... welcome to the new age..... no matter who you are, they (whoever they are, most likely the google nerds, and whoever they sell your information to) know where, when and how you like your internet....
Also.. how is your IP, you location, your system information, your social sharing...not PERSONAL????

And no matter what you think.... THEY... are watching you.... sleep tight Smiley Cheesy Grin Shocked Roll Eyes Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Be careful what you agree to....
Reply #1 - 09/24/15 at 21:09:00

I'm sure there are some who still don't believe it.
Pitiful,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 09/24/15 at 21:38:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/24/15 at 21:09:00:
I'm sure there are some who still don't believe it.   Pitiful,,

MOST  PEOPLE,
Do not believe it.

That's WHY it is DONE !!!!!!

GEE  Why do Many People buy T.V.’s
Which, ‘WATCH YOU’, while YOU, watch, T.V.  ?????

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 09/24/15 at 22:04:44

Thank god for that, when New Zealand went digital TV, I never upgraded and now can't watch TV, not that there's a lot to watch. Don't read newspapers and get semi reasonable news off a public free to air broadcaster. I guess they can only do what OF says and spy on me when I'm on here, don't know if there's a camera in the monitor watching me, there's not much for them to look at anyway. If some sexy mature forty year old NASA or CIA or Microsoft woman is watching now. All she will see is a sweaty, beer gutted pensioner with some anti biotic cream on his face.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/24/15 at 23:31:27

Not gonna say it,,  no, no, no,  but it's just so hard NOT,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 09/25/15 at 12:08:00

LOL JC!....

I always... ALWAYS put tape over my laptop/smart TV camera's... I don't use them, don't do online video chat (unless it is with family, then only for that session)

Now my wireless security camera's? so far, there are none in the house, all are pointed OUTWARD....

I will be adding one or two for vacation purposes and for when I cannot be home to watch what the sis-in-law is doing (she is bi-polar, and when she first takes her meds she is high as a kite and does weird stuff sometimes)....

But even though the cameras are on a "closed" system, they are open to Wi-Fi busters... however they work.
My system software is password locked, but I hear there are programs that can crack them.... sooo at the moment let them...they will see my yard, just like I do when I log on my cell phone and check it out.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/27/15 at 10:01:01

Personally, I like the EULA that came out originally with Linux Mint 17.0 that has since been amended several times as 17.1, 17.2 and 17.3 came out to make it shorter and easier to understand.

Here is the original long version.

Linux Mint 17 User Agreement

Download Linux Mint 17 and use it for free, pass it around to your family and friends for free.  All normal productivity, personal communications,  browsing and other common useful softwares and utilities are already configured for use and are included in the base download.  

Use it for free and we will offer to upgrade it every year with all included improvements for free.  

Your choice of default browsers from our Software Manager comes pre-configured to a non-invasive format and by default all proprietary drivers and such for your video card and sound card will be installed by our installation program.   We do have a version on the download page that only uses open source drivers for everything, but most of our users aren't that fanatical about proprietary drivers, and in truth the proprietary drivers actually do work better.

We collect no information from you or about you nor do the default browsers.   However, be aware if you choose to install them that the Google Chrome Browser and Firefox browser do collect minimal information from you as configured from our Software Manager, but both of these can collect more information if you choose to let them by enabling selected "extra features".

Join our Forums and talk to Clem about what you like and don't like about Linux Mint 17 -- Clem listens.   He gets most of his good ideas from you guys anyway.

Since then Google Chrome Browser has been dropped completely from the software manager as it became "too invasive" and Firefox has danced just this side of that nebulous line for a while now.  

Duck Duck Go is the default browser now as it is "as clean as the driven snow" so to speak, with Delphi as the second most popular choice for security conscious Europeans.    Nether are bad browsers, just not as fast and feature rich as Chrome or Firefox.

BTW, both Chrome and Firefox can now display Amazon Prime movies, a large move forward for Amazon into the world of Linux softwares, something that Linus enabled by putting DRM directly into the Linux Kernel a while back.

With Steam and Amazon being fully on board now, I really can't think of anything I am missing out on any more.

Smiley

....... yeah, take that back,  I can think of a few things I am missing out on.  

All the slow porky arsed performance stuff and BS hassles and endless "weekly upgrade" automatic download nonsense that are now associated with using Microsoft products.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/27/15 at 17:50:37

There is a program called superantispyware that does a good job of removing tracking cookies and other spyware.  I use the free version, an IT professional recommended it to me.  It usually finds hundreds of spy programs on most computers.  When it installs it does set itself up on your startup list by default but you can take it off.  I update its' definitions and run it once a week and it finds plenty of new stuff.

Here's the link.  http://www.superantispyware.com/

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/27/15 at 19:25:10

Can the kindle use it?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/28/15 at 07:31:25

No, Justin

A Kindle runs off of Amazon's proprietary Android software and will only run the stuff you find in the Kindle store.    

You can side load some standard Android software from the Google Play Store, but that functionality comes and goes with Amazon doing stuff and Google doing stuff that breaks the side loaded stuff occasionally.

Just stick with your Amazon Kindle Store.  Good 'ol Jeffrey Preston Bezos is the one that has his hand firmly up your sock puppet's butt.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/28/15 at 13:50:24

Whew! At least he doesn't Look like a creep... Wait, where's mu glasses?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:20:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Be careful what you agree to....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.