Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Your tool kit for the road. (Read 223 times)
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Your tool kit for the road.
09/24/15 at 12:43:05

I'm curious to see what most of you riders keep in your tool bag on the road.  Especially for a long haul.  Pics with layouts of your tool kit welcome.

I ran a search or two for tool kits and didn't see it pop up, so please direct me if I missed it.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Re: Your tool kit for the road.
Reply #1 - 09/24/15 at 16:54:54

I know a guy that keeps ball bearings in his to ward off close drivers.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #2 - 09/24/15 at 16:59:03

Well most keep those or spark plugs I know.  And even a black Jack or two. But I mean tools to work on the bike, not others cars.  Cheesy

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #3 - 09/24/15 at 17:50:42

I have everything EXCEPT what I need. I think some guy named Murphy wrote a law........ Huh

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 09/24/15 at 17:54:56

Cell phone, credit card, couple of close friends who have pickup trucks.

I'm not being a smart a**, I'm serious.

If you maintain your bike properly the chance of an on the road break down is actually fairly small. I do have the OEM tool kit on the bike but I've never used it. The most likely problem IMO is a flat tire, and if it's the stock rear tire on a Savage, and you contemplate changing that basta*d on the side of the road your'e a better man than me. It's a real struggle in a garage with better tools than you are likely to be able to carry with you. The front might  be possible if you had no other choice and had irons and a patch kit (or a new tube) with you and you didn't have to walk too far to find a place to blow it up, but I wouldn't bother unless I really didn't have any other option.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #5 - 09/24/15 at 18:24:29

Sunglasses, spare gloves opposite of what I am wearing, no tools

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #6 - 09/24/15 at 19:11:49

I bought mine used and a PO kept the tool kit. All I carry is my leatherman tool on my belt, a tire gauge in the saddle bag, and a small flashlight in the tool compartment. But now that I think about it, a 10mm socket to get the seat off to get to the fuse might be a handy thing to carry.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 09/24/15 at 22:29:24

Comes in a plastic drink bottle

P1010468_002.JPG

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 09/24/15 at 23:48:20

17mm wrench for loose mirrors etc. stuff happens! Cool

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 09/25/15 at 03:52:52

I HAD gotten together some basic stuff. A few wrenches of the right size, pliers, hex head wrenches, screwdriver, flashlight, zip ties, electrical tape, and so forth. put it in a small bag and kept it on the bike. However, somewhere along the way it fell off. I checked it one day and about two later, it was gone. I'm sorriest about the flashlight.

I do have a multi-tool that I wear on my belt, take a cell phone with me, and so forth like others have said. I had a mirror come loose one day, but nothing I had would fit, so I just stopped at some shop and asked to use their tools. Those guys were extremely helpful.

I have never had to really do anything to my bike on the road that a truck and trailer wouldn't handle.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 09/25/15 at 09:44:53

The basic stock tool kit and a good flashlight is all I carry (I did add a few tie wraps, a small baggie of blue wire nuts and a roll of electrical tape). I have a battery operated flasher/road warning light that I carry on longer trips at night....just so no one runs the bike over while I am making arrangements to have it towed. as stated already, unless you plan to pull a trailer with all tools necessary to change a flat or rebuild the carb, there isnt much point in carrying a whole lot of tools. Regular maintenance is key.

Of course, if your bike has a known issue....it isnt advisable to take it on a long trip anyway.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #11 - 09/25/15 at 10:16:19

OldNSlow, I totally understand what your saying, what can we honestly fix on the side of the road without the proper tools and facilities that are only found in the garage at home? Rear tire would be a real kick in the walnuts.

jcstokes! This is what im talking about! Can not ever be to prepared, better to have it and not need it right? Plus you might even find a harley you need to fix for someone on the side of the road  =D

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/25/15 at 10:49:43

One extra thing I carry on all my vehicles is a small, powerful, magnet...

If you ever have to remove anything on the side of the road,... I guarantee a nut or bolt will drop in tall grass...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #13 - 09/25/15 at 11:02:27

I had the small factory tool kit on my last bike that I kept on it. I don't think I ever used it though. I didn't get the tool kit with the Savage and I don't really have any plans on adding one. The only extra thing that I ever carried more of were fuses, and that was because I knew of an issue that I had on the bike that would cause one to blow every once and a while. It probably would have been an easy fix but at the time it sounded like a lot of work...mostly because I was lazy.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 09/25/15 at 11:17:10

Here it is:

I ride quite a bit.  I have used, at one time or another, on my bike or another, everything you see.. or wish I had it at the time and didn't.
Even used quite a few things for the boys on the 2015 Hill Country Run.

Hose clamps, cable ties, sticky velcro.. all very multipurpose, and will fix a lot of things long enough to get you home.
Large allens are mostly for my highway pegs, which come loose at the most awkward times.
Mini-padlock and key.  "Have to lock this up".. ta da!
The best tool there.. is the multi-tool.  Fixed battery cables with that.. twice.  Next best.. the BIG crescent wrench.
Oh.. the thing in the upper left corner?  Spare doo rag... tied up with pony tail tie... for those cuties that lost their's in the wind..  Yep.. it happens too.  Cheesy
I also carry a small roll of Gorilla tape in the tail bag.

I like to be able to help someone get home without calling for a tow.. if I can.  So, I carry this stuff.   Works for me!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:36:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Your tool kit for the road.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.