Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phone and tablet docking stations to make up a PC (Read 50 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Phone and tablet docking stations to make up a PC
09/24/15 at 06:22:00

http://liliputing.com/2015/09/dells-new-venue-8-pro-tablet-has-faster-cpu-wif...

I said this tech was coming down the road a while back, and that Windows had already taken first blood on something that sorta worked, but Win 10 wasn't far enough along yet for it to be very compelling at that time.

However, Dell is now going after it in a Dell-type commercial business type docking station / monitor / keyboard / mouse application.   You carry your tablet to meetings and such and then you dock it when you get back to your desk.   It is your PC.   With the keyboard case, it is your laptop.   With wifi earbud/mic, it is your company phone too.

The new Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000 Series tablet features a sturdy MIL-STD tested case, support for a Wacom digital pen, and optional 4G LTE and NFC. It also has a USB Type-C port which will let you connect a desktop docking station (due out in 2016).

Dell says the new Venue 8 Pro 5000 Series tablet will be available in North America soon for $299 and up.

The tablet will be available with either a 1280 x 800 pixel or a 1920 x 1200 pixel touchscreen display. Both models support 802.11ac WiFi, Windows 10 software, and feature Intel Atom processors.

Is this going to take over the world?   Not very likely, but I can see a small business going down that path to save money.   Right now small businesses are using Chromebooks to do the same sorts of things, but this is Windows so it is got to be lots better, right?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Phone and tablet docking stations to make up a
Reply #1 - 09/24/15 at 16:52:52

Seen something like that years ago, with cell phones and tablets.... but I think they were using them to dock to pc's to exchange information, but you could use the PC's monitor.

Sounds really familiar... and I don't think it took off because of all the different port connections on the devices.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #2 - 09/25/15 at 06:26:50

They do this at the company that I work for. I personally have a laptop that attaches to a docking station on my desk. Other people have netbooks and tablets depending on their job and what kind of computing power they actually need. Since most people really only need to be able to check email and maybe create / edit an Office document they really don't need much.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/26/15 at 00:53:51

http://liliputing.com/2015/09/cheap-windows-10-phones-wont-support-face-unloc...

Microsoft says all phones will include the Cortana digital assistant, allowing you take notes, make searches, set reminders, and perform other actions with your voice. But only premium phones will support Continuum for phones, the new feature that lets you connect a Windows 10 phone to a keyboard, mouse, and display to run Universal Windows Apps in a desktop-style environment.

So, more news on Microsoft's first strike into phone PC space.   We promise it's coming, but only on the brand new super duper $800 dollar phone.

So, Dell will put it on $300 tablets and MS will only put it on $800 dollar phones.

Betcha the Asus Zen Phone has it for a whole lot cheaper .......

« Last Edit: 09/26/15 at 12:36:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:17:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Phone and tablet docking stations to make up a PC

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.