Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help oil leak not the plug (Read 126 times)
hamscamaro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help oil leak not the plug
09/23/15 at 17:39:09

Hi I have a 97 savage and it has an oil leak.  It is coming from the back of the air passage (closest to the seat).  I just changed the plug because after reading through the forums it seems like that is what the most common oil leak.  After doing the plug change and resealing the head cover, I waited 2 days to make sure the sealant cured completely.  Today I started the bike and let it warm up and everything looked nice and dry.  I had someone sitting on the bike while I shined a a light down the air passage and I did not see any leaks.  I turned the bike off and I saw some smoke, so I shined the light back down the air passage and I saw oil bubbling towards the back of the air passage.  I started the bike again to see if I could find where it is leaking and it is definitely leaking from something near the back of the air passage way.  I could not see exactly where but I could see that it was not dripping from the plug area.  The bolt which the plug covers was dry.  All of the oil was towards the back of the engine.  Any ideas on what this could be?

While doing this job I noticed that 2 bolts, "L115" and "L130" where stripped.  I went to the store and bought a longer screw and and created a "gasket" using washers and sealant for bolt L130 and torqued it down to specs.  Bolt L115 I have hand tight, but its on there and moving.   I took the chrome cover off to see if the oil was leaking from the top and it was completely dry.  Do think either of these bolts could cause this leak?

Any other ideas on what to check or what could cause this oil leak?  Any help/ suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Help oil leak not the plug
Reply #1 - 09/23/15 at 19:12:14

There are two studs with nuts on them....one at the front of the cylinder and one at the rear near the intake port.  These studs have nuts with a widened base, and they hold on the cylinder head.  These can leak if they are loose.....or sometimes even if tight.  If the nuts are oily, remove them, clean the oil off the stud and the nut, then put them back on with a little sealant on them.  The nuts are under the intake and exhaust ports.....you have to turn your head upside down to see them!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
hamscamaro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/23/15 at 19:49:37

I just went out and looked at the nuts.  The front nut has what looks like a little old oil on it, but the rear is dry and clean.  I will clean the front nut and put some sealant on it.  

I will also try to post a picture tomorrow of the area where it is leaking from.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 09/29/15 at 09:30:16

Savages leak, and there isn't any one cure all to stop it. My daily rider 2003 has oil leaks from the cam end caps, head cover gasket, "notorious plug", shifter stud, drive pulley stud, cylinder base, both valve covers, and the speedometer cable. When it gets annoying, a couple cans of CRC Brakleen removes the goo.

Keep in mind that the most technologically advanced part of the bike made its debut about 1975 (electronic ignition), with other parts unchanged since 1969 (front brake), 1949 (forks), 1954 (swingarm, although the old ones had grease fittings and better bearings)...

The gaskets used in the Savage are 1950s treated paper type, or 1970s "tube of goo" type.

The electrical system is a hybrid of Lucas and early 1960s Honda origins.

In simple terms, the Savage/S40 is a dinosaur. Expect it to run and handle like a vintage bike (because it technically is), with all of the associated quirks. You won't stop every leak, squeak or rattle.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
hammyo
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/03/15 at 11:36:20

Thank you everyone for your on-going help.  That leak must have been residual oil that burned off.  My dear, wonderful son can do this plug leak fix thing blindfolded now.  

The bike's cylinder is clean.  I am no longer sitting at the stoplight like pigpen, in a cloud of burning oil.  

Thank you Suzuki savage for all your information.  We hardly ever post because all the information ever needed is posted.  But after the 2nd re-do of that plug leak fix with still oil leaking, my son was about to give up.  He started her up again and either the oil burned away or the Savage spirit healed itself. Shocked

After the first fix one of the bolts had to be replaced with a 140 and a bunch of washers.  That got taken care of and I guess the second oil "leak" was left over gush.

Again, thank you so much.  Have been a member since, at least, 2005!  Still rides like a dream when worked on by an angel.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:36:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help oil leak not the plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.