Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Daily commuter stalled and won't start (Read 165 times)
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Daily commuter stalled and won't start
09/23/15 at 05:17:47

Hi guys, I read a bit here about the petcock issues and wondering if this qualifies. I have a 2007 s40 that is new to me. No service records with it. Bought with 6400 miles on it. Had an oil change and new tires.  I put about 600-700 miles on cruising around and driving to and from work in heavy traffic.
Yesterday when I got home I noticed a few drops of possibly gas comming from the black tube that comes down near the battery tube. Some black gunk at the end of the drain tube as well. This morning I went to commute. I let run 5-8 minutes as I geared up. Went about 1 mile and stopped at a stop sign (second stop sign). I noticed the engine sputtering and then...stall. I checked my gas. Plenty. I had trouble starting it. I was able to start it with the choke all the way on and then went another mile and it lurched and stalled again. This time I can not start it at all. Any ideas?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Daily commuter stalled and won't start
Reply #1 - 09/23/15 at 05:33:38

First of all....don't let your bike sit and idle for 5-8 minutes.  It is better to start up the bike, run it for about 30 seconds when you are sitting on the bike, then ride off gently for the first few miles.

At idle the bike has low oil pressure and is not pumping a good amount of oil around in the engine....and we are also beginning to form an opinion that while the bike is leaning on the sidestand and tipped toward the left....the right side (exhaust) cam lobe and rocker may not be getting enough oil.  The lack of air flow over the exhaust also tends to turn the pipe blue.

This rocker damage may have been from excessive idling while on the sidestand and/or the use of car oil in the engine.

Second......the black tube at the bottom of the bike is supposed to have a cap/plug on it.  It is not supposed to be open all the time - you remove the plug when you change the oil, and drain the tube and replace the cap.  Running with the tube open can allow unfiltered air to enter the engine.

Third....if you are getting fuel dripping out this black tube, it is an indication that either your petcock is failing, or your carb has a needle/seat in the float bowl that is not sealing properly and overfilling the float bowl.

Fourth.....do the test on the Raptor and see if it is working.  Here is the link to the test.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/23/15 at 07:51:17

Thank you very much. I will do the tests when I get home today. Where can I find the plug (is it?) For that black hose comming down?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/23/15 at 08:15:35

Johnnyblade wrote on 09/23/15 at 07:51:17:
Thank you very much. I will do the tests when I get home today. Where can I find the plug (is it?) For that black hose comming down?

Anything the plugs the tube fairly well and doesn't fall out would work.
It is not under any pressure.
Golf tee, shaved dowel, bolt/screw.  Secure with hose clamp.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/23/15 at 10:33:36

I called a dealership looking for a cap before I saw the response. The tech there said I shouldnt cap the hose because it's the "fuel tank vent hose." He told me he wouldn't put a 660 raptor on the s40 because it will cause the crank case to get flooded if I forget to turn off the valve? Is he crazy or did I misunderstand him? I haven't worked on motorcycles at all and cars very little (except a 1975 Plymouth fury, which is a little different by today's standards).

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #5 - 09/23/15 at 11:05:27

He told me he wouldn't put a 660 raptor on the s40 because it will cause the crank case to get flooded if I forget to turn off the valve?

If your float sticks, yes the excess fuel will spill into your crankcase.  I turn mine off but have forgot on occasion.  I check the oil before I start the bike to be sure that there is no "extra" oil that I have not put in the bike.
Also, if your OEM petcock fails, the same thing will happen!

The "puke tube" sticks out below the motorcycle close to the ground a bit before the rear tire below the battery.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/23/15 at 11:29:21

So the "puke tube" is what I shouldn't cap right?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/23/15 at 11:37:35

Johnnyblade wrote on 09/23/15 at 11:29:21:
So the "puke tube" is what I shouldn't cap right?

the puke tube, which comes out the bottom of the air box should be capped otherwise you get oil on your tire, not good for traction.

There are 2 carb vents that shouldn't.  these are no where near the bottom.  your tech may have been thinking of squid bikes that do have overflow tubes hanging to the bottom, but they are small.  and our vent tubes are stuck up into the frame above the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/23/15 at 19:05:36

Another example of why we don't take these bikes to dealership mechanics. How can a mechanic be that ignorant about how stuff works?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/24/15 at 20:09:15

I tested the vacume hose. Man that was hard to get off. No leak there. Checked air filter seems fairly clean. Before I do the cap and prime test is it possible to take only the carb fuel cup off to check for dirt? Would I have to completely drain the tank before doing this due to not being able to turn off the stock vacume petcock? Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/24/15 at 20:31:17

IF it's working right,, it only passes fuel when vacuum is applied.
If you haven't opened the drain under the carb, dump it in a clear container. If it's empty, the bike won't run,, that's why there is a
Prime position on it.
Put it on Prime , maybe the petcock is messing up.
Any
It won't start
issue requires giving it a known fuel. A squirt of ether at the Air intake. Just a bump, hit the starter
And all problems  that are
Won't start
wear the battery down,, so, know what the voltage is, try to make it bump, anything, just a promise, a tease, and look at the fuel from the bowl.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/25/15 at 05:03:15

Also...my air filter seems dry. But... stinks of gas

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/25/15 at 13:27:50

Johnnyblade wrote on 09/25/15 at 05:03:15:
Also...my air filter seems dry. But... stinks of gas

Have you checked the oil? They can sure get gas in the crankcase.
I don't know how old the filter is or how long it would smell,,
One thing that Is known, the stock petcock is a common source of oddball problems and cheap to replace. If the gas got in the oil or if you are concerned that it did, an oil change is cheap compared to peace of mind and pieces of engine.

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/25/15 at 13:44:01

Doing an oil change today. Gonna do the oil test on a bussiness car won't have an oil filter available today. Drain the gas now to change to a raptor. Is it normal for the gas to only come out in the prime position?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/25/15 at 14:08:38

Yes it's vacuum controlled

WWW   IP Logged