Ring Free.....???? (Read 117 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Ring Free.....????
09/22/15 at 17:39:42

I have used Ring Free by Yamaha in my outboards, and it appears to really work.
A two stroke outboard mixes the oil, and fuel together, to provide lubrication, and getting the air/fuel mix just right is part of the trick of having a good running motor that is not to lean, or too rich.
It is better to run a tad rich than lean, which, can cause the plugs to get a little oily.
My motors are oil injected, setting the mixture using a throttle body sensor to lean out the oil at lower RPM, and more at higher RPM's.

Anyway, it seems to really cut down on carbon build up.
I like to decarb my motors before I winter them too, that seems to work as well.

I put a little bit in the Savage the other day, ran about 50 miles so far, and all is fine. I didn't pull the plug first, but as my daily runner, I think that helps in keeping everything thumping, as opposed to sitting.

So, I was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on this product?

Thanks!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Re: Ring Free.....????
Reply #1 - 09/23/15 at 07:16:51

No proven test data, but I have seen this stuff help free up old motors that have been sitting around. Pretty amazing stuff. Price tag isn't to friendly though. $22.99 from yamaha  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/23/15 at 12:09:11

Back in the carb days.....rings and engines could get carboned up and the rings could get stuck in the grooves and locked into place.

A product called Kano Kreen was a common way to loosen the carbon up and get the compression back, and cut down on the oil consumption if it was caused by the rings not expanding and making a good seal.  Now with better oils and fuel injection the carbon build up is not as common.

I used it a few times - but honestly I never really had an engine that was carboned up bad enough to benefit from the product.

http://kanolabs.com/engCle.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #3 - 09/23/15 at 12:20:51

Dont want to get to off topic, but Kano's Kroil is the most awesome penetrating oil ever.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 09/23/15 at 12:29:49

I've seen all types of claims for "top oil", "bottom oil" oils that will stop making you burn oil or smoke less...the claims go on and on.

Truth be told, any properly running/maintained engine doesn't need ANYTHING special. Just use what the OEM recommended when its recommended and how it's recommended. Seems to work 100% of the time.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/23/15 at 18:57:05

I've compared Kroil to 50/50 acetone/transmission fluid. Kroil is expensive and I'm not convinced As good. I do keep both.
One thing I don't have is WD40. I haven't bought any of that in probably 20 years..
I'll be wishing I had some if I run a car through water and get the dizzy wet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 09/23/15 at 20:19:07

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 09/23/15 at 12:29:49:
I've seen all types of claims for "top oil", "bottom oil" oils that will stop making you burn oil or smoke less...the claims go on and on.

Truth be told, any properly running/maintained engine doesn't need ANYTHING special. Just use what the OEM recommended when its recommended and how it's recommended. Seems to work 100% of the time.

How many friends have I spoken these exact words to?!?!?

No, seriously. Anyone know?  Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #7 - 09/24/15 at 10:31:22

Agree with Gary and Justin both.  

You are correct on the 50/50 acetone/tranny fluid.  I still keep kroil around though for penetration and lube though cause of how harsh of a penetrant the 50/50 mix is.

Sorry about bringing this post off topic so much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:22:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ring Free.....????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.