Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stupid and unlucky, stacked in layers (Read 163 times)
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Stupid and unlucky, stacked in layers
09/15/15 at 10:48:59

Okay, I was test riding the S40 at 11 last night after installing a rubber mat damper in my loose rear pulley hub. I made a left turn on a wrong street near home and found myself going up a fairly steep incline on a very narrow asphalt road, lined with trees, dark as the inside of a cow. A "Dead End" sign came into view.

I slowed, downshifted to first and attempted a very tight U turn in the narrow road. First mistake: I over banked at very slow speed, tried to put a foot down, because of the grade the road wasn't where my foot thought it was and the bike tumped over. Next mistake: flustered and pissed, in the deep darkness I lifted the bike up still running, not holding the front brake and not realizing in the dark that it was still in first gear and the rear wheel was turning. When the tire hit the pavement, the bike jumped forward. Holding it by the grips, the sudden forward movement caused my hand to twist the throttle as I tried to hold on to the bike. It yanked itself out of my hands, throwing me over the high side of the bike onto the pavement. The S40 did its own wild weave and smashed down and slid on its right side.

I was wearing boots, jeans, gloves, helmet and a T-shirt. I hit and rolled, and jumped back up without a scratch.

Now 200% pissed, I finally mustered the wits to hit the kill switch on the still-in-gear bike, went around, applied the front brake and lifted the bike up again. Total damages: broken off right rear turn signal, brake lever bent forward, right foot peg bent back 90 degrees, scratched muffler, right mirror torn off and the cast master cylinder keeper that holds the mirror broken.

The whole little performance took less than 10 seconds and the repairs will set me back maybe $200 for ebay parts, more for OEM new parts. The damage to my confidence and enthusiasm is higher. Oh, how it hurt to see my pristine white S40 slam to the ground and slide.

The takeaways: 1. Do not make rash decisions in surprise situations. 2. Do not attempt tight stunt turns in the pitch dark with no horizon reference on a steep upgrade. 3. When the bike goes down, use the kill switch always, especially in pitch dark when you cannot see the rear wheel turning if the bike is still in gear. 4. Hold the front brake firmly when lifting the bike back up.

And five: Fate Is the Hunter, as Ernest K. Gann wrote in his book by that title, the best aviation autobiography/novel ever written. That means, accidents happen when a whole bunch of otherwise insignificant little details pile up and you aren't able to sort them out. In this case they were: distracted riding  paying attention to the rear hub after attempting a repair, a wrong turn, a steep up grade, a tight tree lined street in complete darkness, a too-tight turn in a narrow road, putting a foot down on a down slope and the ground not being there, leading to a tip over, failure to recognize a spinning back wheel in the dark, failure to use the kill switch, acceleration caused by the bike jerking itself out of the hand holding the throttle causing a rev.

The self-debrief after this kind of pooch-screwing is painful. Had I gone on up the hill to a better turnaround spot, there'd have been no problem. Known the difficulty of a tight U turn on a steep grade, no problem. Known the disorientation of doing it in pitch dark, no problem. Used the kill switch immediately upon laying the bike over the first time, no problem. Seen the rear wheel turning, no problem.

If this account helps one other rider I guess it was worth it. I certainly learned a lot of lessons the hard way in the time it takes to utter a couple of unprintable oaths... and rode away poorer but wiser. I thought I was a smooth and competent rider. Now my tail is way up between my legs.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Stupid and unlucky, stacked in layers
Reply #1 - 09/15/15 at 11:10:49

The best lessons learned are those that experience teaches.  Just keep saying.. "That could have been a LOT worse".

One thing I have learned is to do nothing unless I am SURE of what I need to do.   Any attempt to at brakes or steering without knowing what it will do has the potential to end poorly.  The bike will take care of itself pretty well in most situations while you figure out how to improve the situation.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #2 - 09/15/15 at 11:16:25

PS: If you think the Savage has good torque off the line, try it with nobody on the bike. Charles Atlas couldn't hold the frickin' thing back. It's gonna go, and you're gonna stand there and watch it go. Do not try this at home, kids...

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #3 - 09/15/15 at 11:40:06

youzguyz wrote on 09/15/15 at 11:10:49:
The best lessons learned are those that experience teaches.  Just keep saying.. "That could have been a LOT worse".

One thing I have learned is to do nothing unless I am SURE of what I need to do.   Any attempt to at brakes or steering without knowing what it will do has the potential to end poorly.  The bike will take care of itself pretty well in most situations while you figure out how to improve the situation.

Thank you for those words and yes indeed. I have been telling myself it could have been worse. And if I had not been so irritated with my initial error I would have stopped, thought, and hit the kill switch when I gently laid down the bike, stood it up and ridden away with nary a blemish on it.

I rode almost daily for ten years and never put a scratch on a bike. Then I stopped riding for ten years after a bad close call, took it back up last spring, and have been slow and careful getting my chops back. Lately I felt like I was back in the groove. Now I get to eat humble pie and get out my checkbook!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 09/15/15 at 11:45:31

Great write-up Sonny and glad to hear it wasn't any worse than it actually is.
No paint scratched up I hope?
Sounds like your own body is unscathed and that's a huge take away.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #5 - 09/15/15 at 11:51:39

All paint remains clean as the pure driven snow...  Wink

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 09/15/15 at 12:28:13

1/ Fortunately you are ok, 2/ the white paint is ok. I had a similar experience a while ago. I rode up to see friends about 100 miles away and had my pack mounted on the pillion seat instead of on the luggage rack, supposedly this gives the bike better balance. My friends drive in front of his garage was somewhat cambered and  the weight was on the wrong foot and the bike still in gear when it tipped on me. I couldn't get the bike off me and completely forgot the kill switch. and couldn't reach the key. My friend eventually dragged the bike off me and I discovered I had quite a deep cut in my leg which the doctors wouldn't stitch up and as a result took several weeks to heal. Only damage to the bike was a broken rear right indicator with was repaired with duct tape and clear.  tape.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #7 - 09/15/15 at 13:04:29

Well I'm glad that wasn't any worse for you either, J.C.. Having a leg pinned under the bike is bad news, but better the left side than the hot exhaust side.

There are youtubes of fools standing on sportbikes holding the front brake and burning rubber, and the back coming around and they come off still holding the throttle open and then let go and get tossed in random directions. The results are appalling. The bike slingshots away and self destructs, not to mention to whom it may concern standing in the way of it.

I can now testify how it feels when you do that. You feel like a darned fool is what.

In my case, I was standing on the left side of the bike, lifting it, when the tire bit in and it took off with me holding the bar. Centrifugal force threw me over the seat and maybe 10 feet to the right hand side. But I was sitting up in time to watch the bike make a wild wobble and then dump on its right side.

Something tells me I will not do that again.  Sad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/15/15 at 13:32:38

Broad daylight, rolling, effectively flat terrain, and wide enough for cars to pass, as long as everybody scooches over.. gravel...slowed, under ten MPH,
One Finger, lightly on the brAke. I slid to a halt, still seated, feet on pegs, absolute riding position,, just not properly oriented with the horizon.
When it goes wrong, it's quick and merciless.
Step one
Don't make it worse.
Shut it off. Quickly.
That's the only thing done quickly, unless you are in danger, then, get clear, if you leave it running and it gets hit ,better it than you.
Assess the situation. Dark?Carefully walk around,
Anger, embarrassment, never your friends in these moments.

And, yes, it could've been worse,
There's no shame in getting off and walking it thru a turn...
Well, I might not run Tell aBout it...but, it'd be better than needing to file this report.
Good lessons for all. Thanks for sharing.. maybe you sAved someone from a crash.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 09/15/15 at 15:06:30

Couldn't of been that bad a dump, no  broken bones or bad road rash and the paint survived!!!
 Two weeks after getting my '02 I did a flying waldo highside thanks to a small patch of gravel and too much front brake. Hit the road hard enough to trash my helmet and crack 4 ribs, it happens real fast don't it Wink
 At least your bike is no longer a "virgin" if you catch my drift.
Glad you are ok, you did ride it home didn't you?

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 09/15/15 at 15:22:24

Hey Sonny. I feel for ya, but sure glad you did not get hurt. It is amazing though how much you can learn from a spill, and I certainly appreciate your pointing out all your observations. I dumped my bike earlier this year because I was trying to ride at the skill level of some of the more seasoned riders on this forum (no, I'm not calling you guys old, but I wouldn't call you young either). I learned we all need to ride our own ride. Learn from it and thump on my friend.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/15/15 at 15:30:44

When a bike is down and running, odds that it's oiling right are about zero.
Immediate shutdown is the safest answer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #12 - 09/15/15 at 15:34:20

Ed L. wrote on 09/15/15 at 15:06:30:
you did ride it home didn't you?

Yessir, I rode it the mile or so home after making sure the basics were working, sitting on the broken off mirror, with the turn light dark and danging by the wires, and a big steaming turd in a cartoon thought bubble over my head.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 09/15/15 at 17:59:26

Sonny wrote on 09/15/15 at 15:34:20:
...and a big steaming turd in a cartoon thought bubble over my head.

Like a dark cloud... Grin...

Peace, Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/15/15 at 19:12:00

Sonny wrote on 09/15/15 at 15:34:20:
Ed L. wrote on 09/15/15 at 15:06:30:
you did ride it home didn't you?  

and a big steaming turd in a cartoon thought bubble over my head.

It is so easy to worry too much about what you should have done....but you just need to learn from it and move on.  Dropping a bike can happen to anyone at any age and skill level.  Last week my Honda ST1100 was in the drive and I wanted to put it in the garage, so I started it up, clicked it into gear, let out the clutch and started to move and I instantly popped my feet up onto the pegs and leaned to the right to turn the bike around.  The cold engine stalled....and the bike stopped while I was still leaning to the right with my feet on the pegs - and by the time I got my foot off the peg there was no way to catch a falling 750 pound motorcycle!  Luckily the thing has tip over bars and nothing got hurt - but it sure surprised the heck out of me as I never expected to drop the darn thing in the 50 feet I needed to ride to the garage!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:18:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Stupid and unlucky, stacked in layers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.