Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stupid and unlucky, stacked in layers (Read 163 times)
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Re: Stupid and unlucky, stacked in layers
Reply #15 - 09/15/15 at 20:06:56

Dave, one of the things I was thinking was how easy it was to lift the S40 off the ground by the bars and how different it would have been with a 6 or 800 lb bike.

I have been dreaming about someday finding a used Vulcan 900 -- a  600lb motorcycle, 220lbs over a Savage. There would be no picking it up with the bar like a bicycle. You would have to do the pushing up backwards with your butt against the seat method.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 09/16/15 at 03:47:23

On the Honda ST forum, they report the "tipovers".....when you are at a stop and the bike decides to lay down.  When the motorcycles are this heavy, and have a rather tall seat height.....there are times when gravity is going to win the contest.  Below is the most incredible one on the site......seems like you would need a wrecker!

My 'dumbest' motorcycle moment happened about 12 years ago in France, when my 2001 ST was only a year old.

I pulled over to the side of the road to take a closer look at the map on my tankbag. I didn't pull over very far... only a few inches off the pavement. So far, so good.

But... when I stuck out my right foot to reach the ground and keep the motorcycle steady, there was no ground there! The moto slowly tipped over and fell down into a rather deep ditch. I jumped off it (to the left) as it rolled over, and I was unhurt. The moto suffered some cosmetic damage - busted windscreen, busted mirror, etc., but no serious structural damage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #17 - 09/16/15 at 09:54:26

Ouch ouch ouch!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #18 - 09/16/15 at 15:10:15

So my question is, how did you get it out of there? I don't see anybody in the picture.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #19 - 09/16/15 at 16:06:06

If that were a HD, it might never run right ever again....     Undecided

Best regards

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #20 - 09/16/15 at 16:37:17

I am generally nervous and on guard when I'm overseas anyway.  If I was in Europe touring on a beautiful bike like that and I ended up standing by the road looking at that example of "rubber side up", well, I would be feeling mighty lonesome and a long way from home, let's put it that way...

My wife and I stopped at a DQ out riding the Savages last weekend. She's slower and more cautious getting back into riding than I am. But anyway we parked in a space that had an upgrade, maybe 7 or 10 degrees, but enough where if the brake wasn't on, the bike was going to move backwards. So we went through putting the bikes in first and making sure the wheels were holding before putting down the stands. It also gave me a chance to go over with her that a side stand won't hold a bike facing downhill.

Stopped at a light or roadside, turning around in a tight spot, parking... all the low speed and stopped environments demand an awareness of un-level ground and the proper ways to handle it.  Or you can get bit fast when you're relaxing after coming to a stop.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 09/16/15 at 17:53:03

Total fail on the
Rubber Side Down
concept...
Good going with the bail out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:15:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Stupid and unlucky, stacked in layers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.