Easy? - carb removal (Read 208 times)
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Easy? - carb removal
09/15/15 at 06:45:32

Guys

Any tips on the best way to remove the carb for re-jetting>? LHS/RHS etc.
I've done a search and can only find some links to descriptions of it being a pain!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Easy? - carb removal
Reply #1 - 09/15/15 at 07:43:31

If you have been able to get the bowl off, you can jet it on the bike, by loosening and rotating.
JIS screwdriver tips, not Philips, they Look like #2 Philips, but they aren't.
You Ccan grind the tip of a Philips head till it fills the X.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #2 - 09/15/15 at 08:22:00

I also need to take the carb top off to do the white spacer mod and can't get my impact driver down between the frame and the carb - I want to support the rear of the carb screw housings so I don't snap off a chunk of carb Sad

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/15/15 at 08:42:28

Look through here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

A snippet thereof:
Step 13
Now here comes the FUN!
Not really! I ran into some trouble here.
Clymers said to pull the carb back towards the rear of the bike and twist it out.
Well………..! I had about 1/8 inch of space. That sure didn’t help. I ended up scrunching the rubber thingy where the carb was attached, and tried it then, no luck.
After a bunch of wiggling I decided to take of the chromed plastic battery top cover, and loosen up the battery casing, hoping to gain a little more room. (of course I had to remove the tool box and battery first (no picture…I was too annoyed at the time being).
That helped! I was able to get the carb out!
LITTLE ADDENDUM, I discovered (having to take out out again) that it's a heck of a lot easier to take the carb out if the top is removed first (take out diaphragm too, so you don't accidentally damage it)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 09/15/15 at 08:47:01

Yeah, my carb butts right up against the battery box.  Either Versy or 'bot talks about using a tie-down strap to pull the battery box away enough to pull the carb.
It's just another of those annoying "special" aspects of our old-school bikes.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/15/15 at 08:58:29

yep rachet strap the bat box back a smidge and dropping the bowl is easy.
I hook on the top right shock mount and put the eyelet on the axle adjuster to get the rachet with enough room to operate.
and you can take the top off after you remove the tank and seat.

WWW   IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #6 - 09/15/15 at 09:05:54

I must have done stuff a lot different during the teardown of my bike. After removing the throttle cable I just took the clamps on the motor and airbox side off. Then I took the tube section between the carb and airbox off just by squeezing it by hand. After that was off I could slide the carb back off of the motor. I did this from the left had side of the bike.

Maybe there was something else that I took off of the bike before that I forgot about that made it a lot easier?

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #7 - 09/15/15 at 09:35:50

I haven't needed a strap on any of my savages

https://youtu.be/qpHQk-pA6fI

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/15/15 at 12:27:10

I remember it being a challenge, but yeah, start with the cable, because the carb is stable while you're wrangling with it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 09/15/15 at 19:57:24

Unbolting the carb for a peek inside...EASY

Rejetting the carb for proper performance....EASY

Tuning the carb...EASY

Removing/reinstalling the carb.... GIGANTIC PAIN!!!!  Undecided

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/15/15 at 20:11:57

BSTON wrote on 09/15/15 at 09:05:54:
After removing the throttle cable I just took the clamps on the motor and airbox side off.
Then I took the tube section between the carb and airbox off just by squeezing it by hand.
After that was off I could slide the carb back off of the motor.
I did this from the left had side of the bike.

Maybe there was something else that I took off of the bike before that I forgot about that made it a lot easier?

Yup, that part relatively easy, getting that tube between the carb and airbox is another thing though.
If they wanted to make it easy, they coulda made that tube come back thru the airbox.
just pull a clip and it slides back.  no fightin' necessary.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/16/15 at 03:59:13

For the "first time" work on the carb.....I believe it is best to take it out of the bike.  You will have to drill out the brass plug over the idle mix screw, give the carb a thorough look through and cleaning, remove the slide and take out those incredibly tough screws in the slide.......and of course replace the float bowl JIS screws with allen headed ones!

Once you have the allen head screws in the float bowl you can make jet changes without removing the carb.  When you put the new jets in, just make them lightly seated....don't crank them down too tight or they can become impossible to remove when a bit of corrosion locks them in place.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #12 - 09/16/15 at 04:27:55

all great advice - cheers

I did once have to remove the carb from an old Savage but that was over 20 years ago. My ageing grey matter has left a distant memory of the job being a right pain in the neck - literally!  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/16/15 at 04:47:58

marekbuk wrote on 09/16/15 at 04:27:55:
I did once have to remove the carb from an old Savage but that was over 20 years ago. My ageing grey matter has left a distant memory of the job being a right pain in the neck - literally!  Smiley

My neighbor had a Honda Vulcan that had been sitting for 8 years with fuel in it.  It took me more than 4 hours of work to get the carbs off and have them sitting on my work bench.  The fuel tank, massive air cleaner sitting above the 4 carbs, and the radiator and coolant hoses was a complex maze of stuff that all had to come off before you could get to the bolts that held the carbs on....it was really incredible how tightly all that stuff was packed together.  The removal and replacement sequence was really a challenge to figure out.

In comparison.....the Savage is a piece of cake!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #14 - 09/16/15 at 04:55:53

Piece of Cake? - not getting too worried about the job but incidentally the reason I had to remove the carb from my old Savage was the only time one has let me down - I'm on my 3rd LS650/S40, is when it died on my - the reason was a spec of dirt blocking a jet! - since then I have always fitted an in-line fuel filter.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:32:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Easy? - carb removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.