Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rough running or just a Big Thumper? (Read 291 times)
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Rough running or just a Big Thumper?
09/14/15 at 18:10:10

Greetings All. I've a 2014 S40 with 2200 miles on it. Stock, with first service at 700 miles. Lately I've been riding a lot more (and longer too) -- just about every day now after work. There are days my bike seems to run smooth; others, like today, where she seems rough; "jerky", rumbly (if that's a word), etc. This is my first bike -- never ridden before -- so I've nothing to compare it with. Idles just find; seems to have good acceleration. When the bike isn't smooth I'm going about 25 to 30 mph in the neighborhood. Above that speed it seems fine.

I can't tell if it's just me or something is amiss. Is what I describe a characteristic of a Big Thumper? Thanks for your help, and hopefully I've provided enough information.

-- David

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Rough running or just a Big Thumper?
Reply #1 - 09/14/15 at 18:24:24

You're probably in too high a gear for that speed...
Try 2nd or 3rd...
Don't lug the engine... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 09/14/15 at 18:36:18

Well that's curious. Those are the gears I use for 25-30. I generally don't lug the engine, although there are those times...

cheers, david

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 09/14/15 at 19:22:53

25-30: You should be in 3rd gear.  Wink

The stock carb runs lean and tends to surge at speed. It's a characteristic of being lean. You can rejet richer and it should feel a little smoother. Also, is it warmed up with the choke off when it runs rough?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 09/14/15 at 19:27:37

Ahh, now that makes sense about the carb. And you're right about the gearing. By the time I hit 25 I'm generally in third.

I ride the bike so much now it starts right up cold without needing the choke. But I do let it warm up for a few minutes; that seems to help a lot. Should I be using the choke regardless on cold starts?

Thanks, David

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 09/14/15 at 19:38:41

I would. It'll warm up faster too.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/14/15 at 20:36:45

If I'm in third at twenty-five, I'm cruising very gently, accelerating quickly from there isn't a great plan.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 09/14/15 at 20:49:22

Good point.

My basic riding skills have improved now to the point where I need to refine my technique. Smoother stops; smoother on the clutch lever, etc. There are lots of hills where I live (Raleigh, NC); 3rd gear going down one of these hills seems the proper approach, no? Running about 30mph.

I have a lot to learn about technique and no one to ride with yet, so I'm learning this stuff on my own through trial, error and this forum.

Cheers, David

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/14/15 at 20:53:32

Downhill, yeah, uphill, no way..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #9 - 09/14/15 at 20:57:17

Agreed. I do make mistakes there now and then.

-- david

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 09/14/15 at 23:53:29

I would not recommend running in 3rd at 25.  You will lug it.  My recommendation:

1st = 0-20mph
2nd = 21-35mph
3rd = 35-50mph
4th = 50-65mph
5th = 65+mph

Riding this way you will never rev above 4400rpm except in fifth at high speeds.  It's perfectly safe to give your bike a little more room on each gear, but lugging it is not good for it.  I wouldn't recommend riding below 3100rpm in any gear except for 1st.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/15/15 at 04:10:13

If you don't need the choke to start the bike....don't use it.  The choke (fuel enrichment valve) only works at idle, so it doesn't do much of anything when you are riding....only works when the throttle is closed.  If the bike will idle smoothly without the choke on.....then leave it off.  Running with it on could put too much fuel in the mixture, and this can wash the oil off the cylinder walls and also carbon up the engine.....if you don't need it, don't use it.  

I am not sure why - but I never needed the choke on mine to start it either.  However....my bike sits in a warm garage and I don't ride when it is really cold outside.      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #12 - 09/15/15 at 05:17:09

After reading somewhere earlier this week, i now start mine standing up with the choke on.  After I have it running and the engine is idling nicely I then turn the choke off and put it back on the side stand to warm up.  Apparently, it lets the oil that is pooled in the top end get some on the cam before the oil pressure has a chance to build up.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/15/15 at 09:49:32

JutMan wrote on 09/15/15 at 05:17:09:
 After I have it running and the engine is idling nicely I then turn the choke off and put it back on the side stand to warm up.

Don't let it "warm up" too long....a minute is about all that is needed. The engine would have higher oil pressure and better lubrication if you just started riding down the road and were gentle on the throttle for the first few miles.

The piston/cylinder is oiled from the splash/spray coming out of the rod bearing while it spins around....and there isn't much spinning or oil flow at idle speeds, especially when the engine is cold and the oil is thick.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/15/15 at 12:31:42

Our multi grade oils are
Supposed
to act like fifteen weight cold and as it warms , start behaving like forty weight,
That's my understanding of it, which by no means makes it so.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 13:20:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rough running or just a Big Thumper?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.